Anyone sprayed pigeon decoys black for crow decoys?

rtaylor

As per the title. I've got loads of spare pigeon shell decoys and was wondering if it was as simple as spraying them black to get some basic crow decoys? I'm sure the crows from the air aren't that bothered about the decoys having legs and a belly.

Guest Wilksy

Crow socks! I've just got some and they look great! Not tried them yet to be fair but they give the decoy a longer beak,nice shine to them aswell!

A lad called Paul hart on here will sort you some

Edited by Wilksy

If crows will come in to bits of black plastic bag tied to short sticks then there appears to be no reason why they won't drop to these decoys.It all depends,as so often with decoying,on the conditions on the day.

The old wildfowlers used to claim that geese would drop to scrunched up newspapers !

Give it a go.................!

Edited by kaunda

If you don't need to use the shells as pigeons again why not just paint them, use a non reflective paint, black matt will do at a push, then just put a little grey around the beak for rooks decoys, or leave black as carrion crows, you only need to get them within range and they are very territorial and curious so any thing within reason will bring them in. I made my own out of some black plastic sheet, they fold up to give a 3 d image, they work well and as soon as I have knocked a few down I put them out and take in the plastic ones. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

i used to put black socks over my pigeon decoys, stuck them on a flight line and just bought the crows down from out of range into range as they had to have a good look at it see what it was, worked pretty well, keep meaning to try something just putting black bin liner or something out as i want to make something light weight i can put in my pocket.

• 2 weeks later...