Cheddite 410 Drago 24gr subsonic

Evening

Just got a new baikal 410 hushpower yesterday and whilst instore picking up some ammunition

I got hold of some cheddite 410 carts 24gr 7 1/2 subsonic cork wad :yes: , has anyone else tried these in their .410's ?

they are a lot quieter than eley's subsonic load through mine not had chance to pattern test these yet.

Its the velocity that kills not always the number of shot, but with low velocity you will never make clean kills

I would suggest you start with 14 gram 2.5 inch no7.5 and the try 19 gram 3 inch and see if you can see any difference in performance

The velocity of 24 gram must be so low it would tickle anything over 30 yards

Its the velocity that kills not always the number of shot, but with low velocity you will never make clean kills

I would suggest you start with 14 gram 2.5 inch no7.5 and the try 19 gram 3 inch and see if you can see any difference in performance

The velocity of 24 gram must be so low it would tickle anything over 30 yards

I disagree.

Guest cookoff013

Me too.

There is velocity!

So how low or slow must it be so it does not work any more?

Would you feel safe being a test dummy?

Or are we assuming again?

i`ve shot clays with 900fps loads, not totally ideal to emulate this situation but 900fps #6 still breaks clay.

Had a quick root around online last night, some people talking on an Italian forum reckon that those Cheddite Silenziata have a MV of 260m/s - 850 fps (ish).

Not sure I'd be happy using it on live quarry.

Clays, it doesn't matter if you 'wound' one, rabbits it does.

Being new to shotguns I can only apply what I know from air rifle shooting....... Speed is completely relevant to weight of individual lead shot...

Small lead ball (light) requires allot more speed to have the same power as a large lead ball (heavy)... Imagine getting hit by a fether at 60mph and a car at at the same speed,

However.... Where shotguns and air rifles/ rifles differ is with shot placement.

It takes very little power to brake through a rabbits skull (around 3ftlbs)

I would guess an individual #4 lead shot fired at 1000fps still has this power at 50y maybe more?

What I am getting at is that low velocity cartrages containing big shot size paired with a tight choke are just as effective as fast small shot in the right hands!

Food for thought :)

Being new to shotguns I can only apply what I know from air rifle shooting....... Speed is completely relevant to weight of individual lead shot...

Small lead ball (light) requires allot more speed to have the same power as a large lead ball (heavy)... Imagine getting hit by a fether at 60mph and a car at at the same speed,

However.... Where shotguns and air rifles/ rifles differ is with shot placement.

It takes very little power to brake through a rabbits skull (around 3ftlbs)

I would guess an individual #4 lead shot fired at 1000fps still has this power at 50y maybe more?

What I am getting at is that low velocity cartrages containing big shot size paired with a tight choke are just as effective as fast small shot in the right hands!

Food for thought :)

Err no.

You would have more chance of regularly shooting a rabbit in the head at 50yds with your air rifle and wound less than you would relying in #4 shot to do the same at 50yds from a scatter gun!

Way to many rely on numbers for this game!

I remember when folk had fun with bikes under 100bhp. Now everyone has 200bhp.

Funny thing is, the journey takes just as long!

Guest cookoff013

UD.

i`m going to have to slightly disagree with you on this. but i will clearly state why.

#4 subs and #2 subs pattern really tight through any choke. i get full patterns out of every choke. i also get neat even patterns. i`ve tested enough to know that.

even with "minimal shot charges" of 1,1/8oz lead. so it is a "moot" point about solely basing a cartridge lethality on "one" or "1" or "1/191" shot / pieces of shot.

at 40 yards

#4 (mv 1000fps) has more energy than the #6 (Mv 1500fps).

i cant see where "relying" on numbers comes into it. this catridge #4 subsonic is a classic... big shot and enough of it, going fast enough to do "something".

i can also tell you that other people are having great results, even loading #3 lead.

shotguns are soo low tech its un believable. its a skill based sport. dare i say that even some shooters are better than others?

i bet Mr Digweed MBE could beat be at a clay competition..... there is no cartridge that could ever make me shoot better.

my #4 subsonic is and was supposed to produce way better performance than #6 at 1500fps MV. thats all i wanted and better performance at 40 yards.

I like the numbers :)

The ftlbs in a shotgun cartridge is incredible!

For example...

If each individual shot has 8ftlb at 30y and you hit a pigeon centre mass with maybe only 10 individual shot that's 80ftlbs of energy!!!!!!! that pigeon just received more hitting power than my fac air rifle could ever dream of delivering!!!!

UD.

i`m going to have to slightly disagree with you on this. but i will clearly state why.

#4 subs and #2 subs pattern really tight through any choke. i get full patterns out of every choke. i also get neat even patterns. i`ve tested enough to know that.

even with "minimal shot charges" of 1,1/8oz lead. so it is a "moot" point about solely basing a cartridge lethality on "one" or "1" or "1/191" shot / pieces of shot.

at 40 yards

#4 (mv 1000fps) has more energy than the #6 (Mv 1500fps).

i cant see where "relying" on numbers comes into it. this catridge #4 subsonic is a classic... big shot and enough of it, going fast enough to do "something".

i can also tell you that other people are having great results, even loading #3 lead.

shotguns are soo low tech its un believable. its a skill based sport. dare i say that even some shooters are better than others?

i bet Mr Digweed MBE could beat be at a clay competition..... there is no cartridge that could ever make me shoot better.

my #4 subsonic is and was supposed to produce way better performance than #6 at 1500fps MV. thats all i wanted and better performance at 40 yards.

I agree cookie.

My previous text said 'in the head regularly with wounding'. Don't miss that small point in my previous as it changes the context a little.

I have no issue with lower velocities. I use front stuffers! A grand fps is good for me any day.