Cheddite 410 Drago 24gr subsonic

I like the numbers :)

The ftlbs in a shotgun cartridge is incredible!

For example...

If each individual shot has 8ftlb at 30y and you hit a pigeon centre mass with maybe only 10 individual shot that's 80ftlbs of energy!!!!!!! that pigeon just received more hitting power than my fac air rifle could ever dream of delivering!!!!

I don't think you will get 10 pieces of shot on a pigeon centre mass at 30 yds very easily. You would probably struggle to do that with an ounce of 7 1/2 consistently. Going back to the original .410 bit; as already highlighted 24grms is going to be a struggle to fit in the case. 21gms is the most I can fit in a 76mm case. If the charge is actually 18gms as suggested earlier, that doesn't give you many bits of your chosen No. 4 shot. Even with 100% falling in a 30 inch circle there will be a lot of holes in it. From what I have found with the .410 going too large on the shot size makes it a lottery regarding clean kills.

Edit: just reread the title (Cheddite 410 Drago 24gr subsonic). In my book that is 24 grains which could be the powder weight and not the shot charge.

Edited by Dangerous Brian

I don't think you will get 10 pieces of shot on a pigeon centre mass at 30 yds very easily. You would probably struggle to do that with an ounce of 7 1/2 consistently. Going back to the original .410 bit; as already highlighted 24grms is going to be a struggle to fit in the case. 21gms is the most I can fit in a 76mm case. If the charge is actually 18gms as suggested earlier, that doesn't give you many bits of your chosen No. 4 shot. Even with 100% falling in a 30 inch circle there will be a lot of holes in it. From what I have found with the .410 going too large on the shot size makes it a lottery regarding clean kills.

Edit: just reread the title (Cheddite 410 Drago 24gr subsonic). In my book that is 24 grains which could be the powder weight and not the shot charge.

I have never yet seen a box of cartridges sold with the weight of powder listed on the box , happy to be proven wrong though .

I think they are what they say they are a 24 gram subsonic load.

Guest cookoff013

Holey smokes bat man !

there is never any powder charge listed on the box ! it is 24g of lead.,

i`ve had this argument many-many times !

Holey smokes bat man !

there is never any powder charge listed on the box ! it is 24g of lead.,

i`ve had this argument many-many times !

Perhaps you wouldn't have to have the argument if metric units were quoted correctly. Pretty impressive getting that lot in a .410 case. Has anyone had chance to pattern them yet?

Edit: Just seen the photo of the shell- looks like they are using just a cork filler rather than the usual wad which would explain the extra shot capacity.

Edited by Dangerous Brian

I often wonder just how many of those messy straying from the pattern pellets actually take the bird!

I mean is it just in our heads that we must have lovely even patterns?

I never test patterns any more, I may investigate if my shot to kill goes nuts. But that's all I do.

Last time I thought something was wrong was with the Bess. So I just added a thin card under the half a lubed fibre 10g wad and the birds started dropping again.

No I have no idea of the effect on pattern at all!

With only a cork filler would the shot receive a bit of a battering allowing deformation before it even leaves the case? In theory opening up the pattern? Just interested in the purpose of each cartridge component

The length of the shot column is likely to be the main issue with 24g in a .410 (barrel scrubbing and the pressure the pellets at the bottom receive when shoved into the ones on top). It might not be too much of an issue here as the speeds are nice and low (see Cookoff's post earlier where he mentioned the patterns from his subs). One issue I would want to watch is whether the lack of wad depth causes the shot to ball up due to insufficient sealing. Cork is reported to be not that great anyway so making it thinner will not help. I would have thought Cheddite would have looked at this in depth before selling but might be an issue if anyone starts to copy it.

Having said that, the way I shoot a few extra fliers away from the pattern could help me no end.

i`ve shot clays with 900fps loads, not totally ideal to emulate this situation but 900fps #6 still breaks clay.

wonder how many would not break with 71/2 shot at that velocity though , If you have to drop the velocity in a cartridge you at least need to increase the shot size for clean kills .

• 3 years later...