Ticks

jasper3

Well at least you spotted it and removed it. I remember a few years back when I had a dog of my own I'd always see the same young couple walking their springer along a track that ran parallel to where I walked some 80-100 yards away. For months our paths never crossed till one day they appeared on the track I was walking and I met them and the dog for the first time. The dog was covered in ticks. At least a dozen around the eyes and when I ran my hand down its flank and under its chest/armpits there were dozens more. They were horrified and didn't seem to believe me that these were living parasites. They thought the were skin tags/moles around the eyes and weren't even aware of the others on the dogs underside. I had to remove one and show them it walking around on my hand before it actually sank in.

Thankfully, I met them again a few weeks later and all the ticks had gone. They had visited the vet who had sorted the problem.

Edited by Suffolkngood

Well at least you spotted it and removed it. I remember a few years back when I had a dog of my own I'd always see the same young couple walking their springer along a track that ran parallel to where I walked some 80-100 yards away. For months our paths never crossed till one day they appeared on the track I was walking and I met them and the dog for the first time. The dog was covered in ticks. At least a dozen around the eyes and when I ran my hand down its flank and under its chest/armpits there were dozens more. They were horrified and didn't seem to believe me that these were living parasites. They thought the were skin tags/moles around the eyes and weren't even aware of the others on the dogs underside. I had to remove one and show them it walking around on my hand before it actually sank in.

Thankfully, I met them again a few weeks later and all the ticks had gone. They had visited the vet who had sorted the problem.

good for you on educating them, i bet the poor dog felt better afterwards

Edited by jasper3

When I was a young lad the vet down the road often used to check out an old shepherd who would call in around lambing time and often removed the odd one from his back. :)

It's funny how they have an instinct to always locate themselves where the host cannot reach them; for example, my Border on the rare occasions she gets them, are either on the back of her neck or under her chin.

I drop them in isopropyl alcohol. They die happy.

too good for them, a long time ago i did some shifts in a game dealers and we used to get ticks on the deer, some of the more enquiring minded tried various ways to kill them including the micro-wave and reported that it didnt kill them !

Is anyone here concerned with Lymes?

Waiting on my results .should be here by friday the doc told me.Had 2 week coarse of antibiotics as well just incase .Since taken them i feel alot better.This is abad year for ticks everytime i go out deer stalking have to pull ticks off me.

Edited by midge

Hi guys

Ticks are a serious threat to your health. More and more cases of lymes and other tick borne disease are being reported in the west of Scotland and across north west highlands.

Do not crush them

Do not squeeze them

Don't burn them or coat them in cream

Really inspect yourself after being out in tick country as the quicker you get them out the better.

If bitten try and get them out in the first 24 hours.

When you take them out try and get the head out as well still attached to the body. When it is feeding in you it breathes through its back so if you do any of the above it chokes and sicks into you increasing your chances of contracting a tick bourne disease.

If you get any bites that go wrong after being in tick country and a rash with a ring around the bite develops (described as a bulls eye) get to the doctor as soon as possible.

Other early signs are flu like symptoms , including tiredness , chills , fever , headache and muscle and joint pain.

I have worked in the woods for the last 15 years and each year there are more and more cases with forestry workers , shepherds , gamekeepers and stalkers.

I use O Tom tick removers on me and the dog to get them out and Advantix treatment on the dog.