Ticks

jasper3

Hi guys

Ticks are a serious threat to your health. More and more cases of lymes and other tick borne disease are being reported in the west of Scotland and across north west highlands.

Do not crush them

Do not squeeze them

Don't burn them or coat them in cream

Really inspect yourself after being out in tick country as the quicker you get them out the better.

If bitten try and get them out in the first 24 hours.

When you take them out try and get the head out as well still attached to the body. When it is feeding in you it breathes through its back so if you do any of the above it chokes and sicks into you increasing your chances of contracting a tick bourne disease.

If you get any bites that go wrong after being in tick country and a rash with a ring around the bite develops (described as a bulls eye) get to the doctor as soon as possible.

Other early signs are flu like symptoms , including tiredness , chills , fever , headache and muscle and joint pain.

I have worked in the woods for the last 15 years and each year there are more and more cases with forestry workers , shepherds , gamekeepers and stalkers.

I use O Tom tick removers on me and the dog to get them out and Advantix treatment on the dog.

thanks for the tip about Advantix i didn't know about that ..great post mate

Hi guys

Ticks are a serious threat to your health. More and more cases of lymes and other tick borne disease are being reported in the west of Scotland and across north west highlands.

Do not crush them

Do not squeeze them

Don't burn them or coat them in cream

Really inspect yourself after being out in tick country as the quicker you get them out the better.

If bitten try and get them out in the first 24 hours.

When you take them out try and get the head out as well still attached to the body. When it is feeding in you it breathes through its back so if you do any of the above it chokes and sicks into you increasing your chances of contracting a tick bourne disease.

If you get any bites that go wrong after being in tick country and a rash with a ring around the bite develops (described as a bulls eye) get to the doctor as soon as possible.

Other early signs are flu like symptoms , including tiredness , chills , fever , headache and muscle and joint pain.

I have worked in the woods for the last 15 years and each year there are more and more cases with forestry workers , shepherds , gamekeepers and stalkers.

I use O Tom tick removers on me and the dog to get them out and Advantix treatment on the dog.

out of interest why not burn them?when get them off my animals with the twist gadget drop em on the bbq is their usual fate...

out of interest why not burn them?when get them off my animals with the twist gadget drop em on the bbq is their usual fate...

I think greenshank1 means not to burn them whilst still attached,maybe because they'll spew more guk in.

Ticks has been a topic on Radio Scotland all day,warning folk about them and Lymes disease.

Lymes is pretty serious - particularly if not diagnosed. I recall seeing a program on some tick proof clothing - http://www.rovince.co.uk/- not sure how well it works, but if you are in the fields alot might be worth considering.

Some other useful info here: http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/

Think I saw the tick proof material on The Shooting Show. Originally developed for Scandinavian military personnel.