Taming a jackdaw and or carrion crow

rich1985

I'm afraid your man in the know doesn't know a great deal.

All wild birds kept in captivity need to be close rung.

I've a lifetimes experience of keeping and rearing native captive bred finches and soft bills and these cannot be taken from the wild under any circumstances.

Abandoned or injured birds can only be retained and nursed back to health but must be released on recovery.

If you want formal confirmation speak to DEFRA

Sorry but that's the way it is these days and people do get prosecuted believe me.

If it's not on an aviary and is free to come and go as it pleases as in it chooses to live in my garden then it's the birds choice and not mine so how can this be wrong?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not on an aviary and is free to come and go as it pleases as in it chooses to live in my garden then it's the birds choice and not mine so how can this be wrong?

Because to obtain the bird in the first place you have to take it from a nest which is illegal , not that I care but FM is quite correct you have spoken to the wrong person if they have told you its ok.

FM is right, I also have kept British birds for a long while.

Your advice from your mate will be no good in court, it will fall on deaf ears, & if the RSPCA/RSPB visit your house with a warrant, they wouldn't hesitate to take you to court, it's right up their street.

Fines are big, & they have unlimited funds.

I'm afraid your man in the know doesn't know a great deal.

All wild birds kept in captivity need to be close rung.

I've a lifetimes experience of keeping and rearing native captive bred finches and soft bills and these cannot be taken from the wild under any circumstances.

Abandoned or injured birds can only be retained and nursed back to health but must be released on recovery.

If you want formal confirmation speak to DEFRA

Sorry but that's the way it is these days and people do get prosecuted believe me.

british birds in captivity do not need to be rung but must have been bred from legally captive parents,the responsibility rests with the owner to prove this if challenged,you cannot sell unrung birds but can give them away,

Edited by andrewluke

british birds in captivity do not need to be rung but must have been bred from legally captive parents,the responsibility rests with the owner to prove this if challenged,you cannot sell unrung birds but can give them away,

But his won't be will it.

i've just edited my post(in red) which i was referring to what Fisherman Mike posted

When I was a kid many years ago I was brought up in a council house on the edge of town and all the kids used to have pet Jackdaws.You could always tell a council house kid because they always used to have Jackdaw **** running down their back from the bird perching on their shoulder.Happy days.

• 4 years later...

Doubt you ever will truly tame it. We had dozens of Jackdaws and crows as kids as mum used to take injured birds in from the vets to rehabilitate, any bird older than 'brancher' stage wouldn't be tame. No doubt you'd get it tamer, after months, but I'll warn you now, they are noisy, and seem to **** twice as much as it eats. Also covered in mites. If you had a very young one, they are quite amusing 'pets', very cleaver and quite quick to learn. Not so much jackdaws but the crows mum had talking, which in turn had us trying to get them swearing... 

Our pet pigeon and jackdaw used to follow mum taking us too school in the car and then follow her back home again, 3 miles each way. Great until 'widge' the pigeon got flattened by a school bus. 

Id leave nature do it's thing with that one, it's survived this long, leave it be. 

Edited by strimmer_13

About 5 years ago I was staying on a campsite in Polzeath and a lady living on the site had a crow that she had nursed back to health from an injury.

It rode around on her shoulder and would happily sit  in the pub with her.

I personally wouldn't have let it that near my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 12/05/2015 at 15:26, rich1985 said:

I have the time so this is no issue, I am researching now, some good bits on YouTube, I looked on birdtrader and couldn't find raven or crows? Thanks

Type Jackdaws for sale UK in google and you will find Jackdaws, Magpies, Ravens and crows. I am looking for a baby Jackdaw myself. There is one add there saying if you know what you are doing they will let the bird go early so it can imprint on you. I have looked for nests too but can't find them even though I have 4 pairs coming in my garden feeding.

My brother keeps two jackdaws as domestic pets. They live in a large cage in the living room, he’s had them over 20 years now and it’s safe to say that the living room is a **** hole. It’s dusty, dog eared, and has a fantastic smell. My brother and his wife both complain of lung conditions, but of course this has nothing to do with the birds. You can’t hear the tv over noise or leave anything errand as it’ll go missing. And of course, when they go on holiday we are expected to feed them and clear them out!. I don’t get it.

I had a pet crow I hand reared as a young boy. Had it for 4/5 years fed it vat food and fruit, it used to play with the dog and cats. It’s aviary was left open and it could come and go as it pleased, used to walk about the garden mainly. A sparrow hawk once got into the aviary and sat perched next to my crow. Eventually I bought it a bird specific feed powder to improve its plumage and his flight feathers grew properly and it finally flew the coop. I was pleased when it went to be honest; I had become a teenager and other things interested me. 

An old keeper on a grouse moor I knew had a pet crow too. 

Edited by WalkedUp

23 hours ago, TrinaBelle said:

Type Jackdaws for sale UK in google and you will find Jackdaws, Magpies, Ravens and crows. I am looking for a baby Jackdaw myself. There is one add there saying if you know what you are doing they will let the bird go early so it can imprint on you. I have looked for nests too but can't find them even though I have 4 pairs coming in my garden feeding.

Firstly, very old thread. Secondly It's illegal to take birds from nests. Ones that are for sale are captive bred. Wildlife and Countryside act, 1981:

'(5)Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person intentionally [F16or recklessly]—

(a)disturbs any wild bird included in Schedule 1 while it is building a nest or is in, on or near a nest containing eggs or young; or

(b)disturbs dependent young of such a bird,

he shall be guilty of an offence'

For the purposes of keeping it as a pet is not deemed an acceptable reason for taking a bird from a nest, regardless of the schedule of the bird. Don't go looking for the nests, you'll be breaking the law - as well as Lockdown.

We have a nest of Jackdaws in our chimney pot - again, as we haven't ever used the gas fire located there and it's blocked up I'm happy to leave the nesting site alone when there are times when we could cap the opening.  They are amusing characters, seem to be born with a grumpy attitude - much like me.😀 

Edited by Cosmicblue

• 3 months later...

I know this is a very old thread but I’ve had a jackdaw in my garden for the past few weeks. He’s definitely young but I’ve formed a brilliant bond with him. He comes when I shout him and I feed him around 4 times a day straight from my hand. He sits on my shoulder and loves to be close to me. I go away soon for a week and I’m concerned he won’t come back. The neighbors know him so I’m hoping he’s here still when I get home. Does anyone know if he will stay around? 

2 hours ago, Levi chai said:

I know this is a very old thread but I’ve had a jackdaw in my garden for the past few weeks. He’s definitely young but I’ve formed a brilliant bond with him. He comes when I shout him and I feed him around 4 times a day straight from my hand. He sits on my shoulder and loves to be close to me. I go away soon for a week and I’m concerned he won’t come back. The neighbors know him so I’m hoping he’s here still when I get home. Does anyone know if he will stay around? 

How would we know? Why don’t you just ask him?

😆

Yes they can be tamed. Crows especially. My father had a tame one when I was a small baby some sixty-two years ago. It used to sit on the end of my pram. My mother was not at all happy (worried it'd peck my eyes) so too it in her car at let it go. By the time she'd got back the crow was already back. So the second time it went on a longer journey with, shall we say, a one way ticket. 

18 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes they can be tamed. Crows especially. My father had a tame one when I was a small baby some sixty-two years ago. It used to sit on the end of my pram. My mother was not at all happy (worried it'd peck my eyes) so too it in her car at let it go. By the time she'd got back the crow was already back. So the second time it went on a longer journey with, shall we say, a one way ticket. 

So he tamed a crow and then killed it. 

Not a story id be proud of tbh.