Grass cuttings

kyska

I've decided to calm down with work, take more time off for the kids and garden, more the garden.

I've pretty much kept the garden 'ticking over' but we've but the bullet and got landscapers in to make it nice and manageable.

Now, my lawn isn't huge, enough to fill two wheelie bins each cut though, but what's the best way of dealing with grass cuttings?

Can they be composted, made into something useful by alchemy?

you can compost grass cuttings, me personally will be drying out for goat feed..but it helps if you have goats :lol:

I do!

I have a similar problem I compost part and use the other as a mulch on the beds...makes a very good mulch too !

Ah, my beds are now 6 ton of slate thanks to the landscaping, hence my Q!

I compost most of it but you have to have a good mix of woody stuff otherwise you get rubbish compost. Some I chuck in the chicken run and the rest mulches the raspberries. If its already short I don't collect it and let it mulch the lawn.

How do you compost it?

Mine goes over the fence to feed the cows, they fight over it as soon as they see the grass box they are over like a shot.

I can't keep lobbing grass cuttings on the headlands, we have wild flower as part of the RPS.

We've got one of those rotating composters. They're like magic. However much you put in there, it seems to get less and less every day.

Sounds interesting.

Edited by kyska

Any stables nearby?

When I kept a horse years ago, the council used to bring their grass cuttings from local parks. The horses loved it.

The field behind my dad's house has horses. As soon as dad turned the mower on they would be at the wall looking for cuttings.

Mine gets mixed with dead leaves I keep in a black bin bag from when they drop in the Autumn. I've been known to lift a couple of bags of manure from farms I shoot on too to add to the mix. Google has some great tips about compost making - and its free.

I'm told that grass cuttings are harmfull to horses if they gorge on it.

Edited by Dave-G

Any stables nearby?

When I kept a horse years ago, the council used to bring their grass cuttings from local parks. The horses loved it.

You do know if the cuttings heat up a little and the horses eat them it can cause colic and be fatal?

I wouldn't feed them to any livestock personally,

We get good compost out of a barrel composter which is fed with grass clippings, kitchen waste (teabags, vegetable skins, apple cores. orange peel. egg-shells - basically everything except meat). garden clippings and a tablespoon of Garotta. It gets turned over every week or so, and in 6 months we have usable compost

See this guide http://compostguide.com/compost-materials/

You do know if the cuttings heat up a little and the horses eat them it can cause colic and be fatal?

I wouldn't feed them to any livestock personally,

We used to spread the cuttings over the stable yard, less chance of heating and with 20 horses and ponies munching away it did not last long enough to get warm.

I've got a small river at the bottom of my garden and my compost heap is on the river bank. Unfortunately the river is prone to flooding - an annual event - and my compost mysteriously disappears out to sea. My neighbour used to dump grass cuttings every time they got the mower out but this caused a few downstream to complain. If you wait until it floods you could dispose of a herd of cows without anyone noticing!