Shaving

Brixsmaid

I know this has been done to death, I've read the dozens if not hundreds of post and am somewhat confused!!

So I want to go back to a traditional shave as I fed up with the quality of disposable/cartridge razor shaves.

The issues are

I don't have hours to spend in some of the rituals I've seen in some of the posts

And

Can someone give me a definitive list of precisely what I need, with names, what/how many

/much I need of each and where I can buy all the kit online in one hit.

Also

I don't mind paying a bit but I'm too old to take a second mortgage!!

Please try not to confuse me anymore or I'll grow a beard and end up divorced!!

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any double edge razor, screw headed if you're new to the game.

I use a feather blade, very, very sharp.

A decent soap, choose your own, I use L'occitane

A decent badger brush, do not scrimp on this, if you get a lose hair stuck your face you WILL bleed.

Around your nose DO NOT 'scoop' like with a safety razor, let the weight of the razor work.

There's no rocket science, I shower, soap and shave, once you've got the hang of it, you'll save a small fortune, and the closeness compared to the 4 odd bladed tripe on the market is marked.

Good luck

Just go down to your local Boots and buy a traditional safety razor and a couple of packs of blades, a Erasmus shaving stick and a decent hogs hair brush.

You will also need a decent alcohol based après shave because until you get the hang of shaving with a single blade you will cut yourself and it will bleed profusely. Should be able to get the lot for under 20 quid.

Remember to wash thoroughly in hot soap and water to soften the hair and work in downward strokes..never up !

Just go down to your local Boots and buy a traditional safety razor and a couple of packs of blades, a Erasmus shaving stick and a decent hogs hair brush.You will also need a decent alcohol based après shave because until you get the hang of shaving with a single blade you will cut yourself and it will bleed profusely. Should be able to get the lot for under 20 quid.Remember to wash thoroughly in hot soap and water to soften the hair and work in downward strokes..never up !

Oh yes, I became anaemic until I'd got it right!

I bought 100 blades last year for a pittance, free shaving IMO, I'm just getting to the end of the pack.

Buy decent blades OP

Edwin jagger de89L (£20) taylors of old bond st jermyn shaving creme and badger brush(£35) feather razors (£4) arco creme (£3) and a styptic pencil (£3) for not if but when u cut yourself!

Will last for ages and ages and you will have the

Best shave ever!

Just remember not to moisten the styptic pencil with your tongue.

Oh yes, I became anaemic until I'd got it right!

I bought 100 blades last year for a pittance, free shaving IMO, I'm just getting to the end of the pack.

Buy decent blades OP

Part of the confusion is just what are decent blades - I still have an old Wilkinson Sword razor and use to just use of the shelf double edge Gillette or the like blades, are they classed as decent Blades?

No recommends for private blood transfusion services yet :no:

Part of the confusion is just what are decent blades - I still have an old Wilkinson Sword razor and use to just use of the shelf double edge Gillette or the like blades, are they classed as decent Blades?

No recommends for private blood transfusion services yet :no:

Feather blades, no other option IMO. Derby are ok.

You'll not get time for a transfusion, you'll be dead before the paramedics turn up, just take your time, if you get very bright red, spurting blood on the mirror, wrap a towel around your neck and shout the wife.

My starting kit was a Merkur 34C razor, Jermyn Street Shaving Cream, Astra Platinum Blades, a Kent shaving brush, Proraso Pre Shave Cream and an Alum block.

I found the feather blades too sharp for a beginner, but get a mixed selection of blades and find one you like.

Shave with 3 passes, with, across and against the grain.

One word of warning, buying razors is a bit like buying guns, you start off with one, but end up with a cabinet full ......

Haven't shaved for over 40 years and don't miss it one bit. Wife and kids have never seen me without a beard :lol:

Likewise. A beard since 1977. Trimmed and smart. Hasn't worked against me. Neither career wise or socially. Try it. Then decide whether to absorb angst about blade and aftershave.

I get terrible shaving rash on the neck, I used a boots double edged with some blades they had and a brush n their soap, bit it wasn't badger hair

I still had a neck rash etc, will more expensive geat help ? Atm I just use an electric beard trimmer n take it down to a stubble. Less rash so looks better as long as I keep it trim

A DE razor at a price to suit you

http://www.shaving-shack.com/double-edge-safety-razors/

Some cream, this one lasted me 2years!! And works ace

http://www.shaving-shack.com/proraso-shaving-cream-jar-150ml.html

And a brush

http://www.shaving-shack.com/shaving-brushes/

Most razors come with a pack of blades so read the description

Hi

I understand if you have not 'wet-shaved' for sometime it will take the facial hair/skin time to adjust to your new regime,

Rashes etc are likely due to skin pores/sebaceous glands getting sorted.

So good after-shave skin care will be necessary during the 'toughning' phase of the faces skin..........

L

I use the shaving shack website handy as when you buy the blades you can have a free gift of some more blades and some points which do add up :)

Get an edward jeager or murker as mentioned above + feather blades then choose a cream/soap I like either the Ingram or their own lambs wool one or whatever its called then I just pick up a brush from a boots im not fussed about an expensive one. Then i just use some nivea moisturiser then some aftershave then whatever nice smell you like after. Just note aftershave is different from eau du toilet/ cologne that stuff will burn.

Practically wet face. Lather up. Shave off. Rinse. Slap stuff on job done.

Edited by pimpkiller

There is a temptation to buy a double edged wilkinson sword from boots (one of these) . The problem is that they are quite light and there is a temptation to press on your face, which will cause a rash in sensitive areas. Buy an Edwin Jagger for £20 or so and you can just use the weight of the razor as opposed to pressing down, which makes a big difference...

Edwin jagger de89L (£20) taylors of old bond st jermyn shaving creme and badger brush(£35) feather razors (£4) arco creme (£3) and a styptic pencil (£3) for not if but when u cut yourself!

Will last for ages and ages and you will have the

Best shave ever!

Agree with this above, my setup is:

EJ DE89

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandlewood creame

Astra SP green blades

Badger brush

Styptic pencil (an instant education here)

I found the feather blades just too sharp and aggressive!

ATB

Matt

Agree with nearly everything except using feathers as the starting blade. You will bleed to death, cut your own head off or worse. Try a sample pack with derby or Israeli blades.

Also, you don't need a brush if you use cream. It can be worked in with the fingers.

I found blue beard after shave balm quite good.

Fighting the tyranny of gilette is quite liberating and shaving becomes quite enjoyable (on the odd occasion I manage to do it without fainting or screaming or both)