newbie! Please help I have so many questions

madmatt

Hi my name is Matt I am new to shooting, I have had my licence for about six months now. I have managed to get myself two pieces of land to shoot on.

I have a few questions I would like answering, I have tryed searching the Internet but the adviceis either contradicting from one person to another or nonexistent.

My first question is what kind of land should i be shooting on? And what can I expect to find in the Midlands? (The first pieces of land I have is two fields which I think the farmer is growing corn. The crop is about 4 inch high. The second is some feilds surrounding a farm which I think the farmer is also growing crops but also has cattle so there is some grass and recently one of his feilds he scraped one of his feild with these chains I did see pigeons there.)

Should I be using callers?

Flight lines I no what they are but what do they look like? Should I expect one pigeon every minute or five an hour or coming flying in groups. I find researching this one particularly hard to research everybody seems just to explain what they mean to the pigeons and how they use them.

Where can I find roosts? Is it in big woods, small woods, small groups of tree's, can I expect 10s or just a couple of pigeons?

Should I buy flappers and other equipment? I have a hide net and 12 FUD decoys so far was also thinking of buying some crows as well to add a bit of variety to my pattern as I see this as I first get to the feilds.

Also I would like to ask if there is any experienced shoots who would like some help out in the field in exchange for some advice, not only on where to find them but how to shoot them its just not the same as clays.

Thanks to everyone who reads this or replies. I know I have woffled on abit.

Matt

Start simply-get yourself some Binos and sit out in your fields for as long as you can- are there any pigeons feeding on it? If so where are they coming from? Ask the owner if he suffered much with pigeons last year and if so where? Ask what he is growing or take someone along who would know but don't go armed with anything other than your eyes and ears.

Im new to pigeon shooting myself. Personaly i read as much on here as i could, bought will garfits book and archie coates book also. Read them then again. Then for a few weeks and when i had a few hours spare i went and watched pigeons. Not always on the land i shoot over. I got used to seeing the flight lines, how they landed, how they fed and what they were feeding on and made a note so in future i can help myself when knowing what fields to look at first. Its a huge learning curve i know. But read wills book, watch them, then u will start to understand what hes talking about and pigeon behavior. Once i had an idea what i was looking for i spent more time on the land i can shoot and tried to fit the puzzle pieces together

Edited by Jay_Russell

Start simply-get yourself some Binos and sit out in your fields for as long as you can- are there any pigeons feeding on it? If so where are they coming from? Ask the owner if he suffered much with pigeons last year and if so where? Ask what he is growing or take someone along who would know but don't go armed with anything other than your eyes and ears.

that is about the best advice you can get.............watch watch and learn..........learn their habits...the times the areas..............and after 50years of doing it you still wont have it sussed !!

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am 28, I got into shooting with my uncle but we are both new, we both shoot with Beretta silver pigeon 1's.

What sort of binoculars are good I dont mind spending a few hundred on them for quality that will last. Once again there is so many to choose from on the internet. And with no shops really selling a good selection its hard to try before you buy.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am 28, I got into shooting with my uncle but we are both new, we both shoot with Beretta silver pigeon 1's.

What sort of binoculars are good I dont mind spending a few hundred on them for quality that will last. Once again there is so many to choose from on the internet. And with no shops really selling a good selection its hard to try before you buy.

There is no need to 'waste' money on binoculars to spot pigeons with. It is possible to spend very little and get a pair good enough for the job.

Guest Wilksy

Sorry for asking your age but your post made me think you were really young, good advice so far just slow down read up as much as poss, every question you can think of has been asked and answered on here just take the time to go through all the posts, they go back 13 years!

I bought a pair of these binoculars(link below) a few months back and they are brilliant for the price, there is better and worse out there but after quite a bit research I decided on these.

I was also in the same position as you a few months back and put loads of time and effort into it and I'm now starting to reap the rewards, as said above as well there is loads of good advice on here, do lots of reading and it will all fall into place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vortex-D-3208-Diamondback-8x32-Binocular/dp/B007AJZF4U/ref=sr_1_3/276-1013346-3978514?ie=UTF8&qid=1431835701&sr=8-3&keywords=vortex+diamondback

I bought a pair of these binoculars(link below) a few months back and they are brilliant for the price, there is better and worse out there but after quite a bit research I decided on these.

I was also in the same position as you a few months back and put loads of time and effort into it and I'm now starting to reap the rewards, as said above as well there is loads of good advice on here, do lots of reading and it will all fall into place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vortex-D-3208-Diamondback-8x32-Binocular/dp/B007AJZF4U/ref=sr_1_3/276-1013346-3978514?ie=UTF8&qid=1431835701&sr=8-3&keywords=vortex+diamondback

Thanks they look good and can get them on prime

Where are you in the Midlands matt?

Im from Leicester

Flight lines I no what they are but what do they look like? Should I expect one pigeon every minute or five an hour or coming flying in groups. I find researching this one particularly hard to research everybody seems just to explain what they mean to the pigeons and how they use them.

Could anybody just clear this one up for me or point me in the right dirction where to find the information

Get your self on a BASC Introduction to pigeon Shooting Course

There is one in Chippenham Cambridgeshire on September 5th.

BREAKING NEWS :yahoo:

BASC will shortly be announcing dates for course in the North West and the North East as requested by Pigeon Watch members :good:

also when i first started i read this http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Pigeon-Shooter-Complete-Shooting/dp/1904057519/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

and really enjoyed it and picked up some good help from it, if your still about in a few months when the harvesting starts , you would be more than welcome to join me for a days shooting

roadkill

Edited by roadkill

Could anybody just clear this one up for me or point me in the right dirction where to find the information

A flight line is an imaginery line that pigeons will use to get say from one set of trees to another or a sitty tree to a field. Sometimes it will be a hedge line, a farm track or pylons etc. Depending on how many birds are about, it could a steady stream of birds or a just a couple every 20 miniutes but all use the same imaginery route or flight line.

also when i first started i read this http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Pigeon-Shooter-Complete-Shooting/dp/1904057519/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

and really enjoyed it and picked up some good help from it, if your still about in a few months when the harvesting starts , you would be more than welcome to join me for a days shooting

roadkill

Nice gesture.

Well done

A flight line is an imaginery line that pigeons will use to get say from one set of trees to another or a sitty tree to a field. Sometimes it will be a hedge line, a farm track or pylons etc. Depending on how many birds are about, it could a steady stream of birds or a just a couple every 20 miniutes but all use the same imaginery route or flight line.

I think the "imaginary" bit may be a bit misleading so thought I'd try to clarify, I hope I don't cause any offence.

You'll find pigeons will usually follow a "flight line", particularly when going to or from where they're feeding. So, the usual scheme is to find the field they're feeding on and watch them coming and going to see where the flight line is. As has been said, it often follows a hedge or road or a row of trees but will sometimes be less obvious (like one corner of a field, past a tree and to the opposite corner).

Once you've found the line, you need to decide where to put your hide but the basics are;

Where pigeons are or have been feeding

Close to the flight line and visible from a good distance of the flight line.

Somewhere comfortable (not on a steep slope for, example).

And, obviously, where you have permission to shoot, it's safe and legal to do so.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. Time to buy some books and do some reading. I will also watch more videos on YouTube. It just going to take some time before im taking home some big bags.

roadkill

And thank you roadkill I may take u up on that offer. I dont mind doing all the carrying for some experience