PayPal Fraud

Lloyd90

I received an email last night as I was out for dinner. Somebody in London had received £50 from my account (which I never sent). PayPal then immediately emailed me stating it was flagged as suspicious and account frozen.

Now obviously I need to log on and change password etc etc but its asking me to type in my full card details to verify I am who I claim, but naturally I'm very skeptical and worried because of this. Just to add I DID NOT click any links or such on the emails.

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated, Currently on the phone to the banks fraud team.

Was the email definitely from paypal? I can't imagine them asking for card details etc. Let the real paypal sort it out on the phone. :good:

I believe so, I did not click any links or such on either email but instead went onto paypal through google as you normally would and have logged in, its asking me for "security measures" - full card number, full account number to verify I have the card.

Just got off the phone with the bank and I have cancelled my card to stop any further transactions as they advised and they are sending me a new card. If my account number is on paypal though will this stop it ? DO they need more details than that to make fraudulent transactions ?

Don't log in through the email as that's how they steal the information. The link will go to a site they have created that looks the same as the genuine site. It usually has a similar url as well like amazoon.co.uk or payepal co.uk that they are betting on you not noticing. Go to the proper site and log in there and contact pay pal that way. I get several phishing emails like this every month.

I got done on pay pal, it says it secure but it really isn't, my bank account got emptied and I got put over drawn. I did get all money's back tho. It was a chap in Ireland that done me, he had had a dominos pizza on there and I managed to get the delivery address so I reported this, I also took a dump in a small polystyrene box and sent to him. Happy days.

Spoke to customer service, they put a stop to it already and have said it will be refunded to the paypal account within the next 48 hours. Also changed password and security questions.

I'm just left wondering now how they got my details and password in the first place. Not a nice experience at all!

only two real whys they can get them, you either got duped into using a fake site/system or whatever or you have something malisious on your pc that allowed them to get access.

Very worrying tbh, I'm feeling a bit paranoid after all this.

It isn't just PayPal where hacking financial transactions is happening. "your Money" page of the w/end Daily telegraph has a couple who's email was hacked after they'd sent bank details to their Solicitor following sale of a flat. Someone lifted £330,000 by sending revised bank detail to the Solicitor from an email account that looked exactly like that of the vendor. The Solicitor acted on the second email. Fortunately it was discovered. Unfortunately they lost some £60,000 in the process.

Gangs are hacking Solicitors emails for any bank details from clients. Sophisticated scams these days!!

It isn't just PayPal where hacking financial transactions is happening. "your Money" page of the w/end Daily telegraph has a couple who's email was hacked after they'd sent bank details to their Solicitor following sale of a flat. Someone lifted £330,000 by sending revised bank detail to the Solicitor from an email account that looked exactly like that of the vendor. The Solicitor acted on the second email. Fortunately it was discovered. Unfortunately they lost some £60,000 in the process.

Gangs are hacking Solicitors emails for any bank details from clients. Sophisticated scams these days!!

Any solicitor that acts on e-mail instruction only wants shooting. The should have a call back procedure in place so that they call the client to verify the instruction. SOP.

I've been done by someone a while ago, they got £950 from my account via PayPal. A quick call to Paypal and i've got the money back in 2 hours.

They were very good to be fair mate, they spotted it as suspicious immediately, froze the account etc. Its just been a bloody pain as I was bricking it entering my details anywhere or on anything incase that was a bloodt scam as well.

New passwords etc on paypal, and as a precaution got a new bank card on the way and the current one cancelled!

Spoke to customer service, they put a stop to it already and have said it will be refunded to the paypal account within the next 48 hours. Also changed password and security questions.

I'm just left wondering now how they got my details and password in the first place. Not a nice experience at all!

You have my sympathy...I got caught similarly last year...the Paypal site was very plausible...I believe they just send out thousands and thousands of computer generated emails until one address strikes lucky.

I changed my email address to as many characters as possible ( within reason ! )

Hope you get it all sorted without any personal loss.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

only two real whys they can get them, you either got duped into using a fake site/system or whatever or you have something malisious on your pc that allowed them to get access.

The other way is if you use the same email/password combination on another site and your details are compromised there.

Always use a different password on different sites!