Combat boots and eye pro (non fogging)

andy198712

Hi all,

After some advice on combats boots, the ones I have are leather and thick and chunky (issued) and when recent doing a competition that involves running, shooting in lots of stances, there kinda rubbish and try to cut off my toes when kneeling.

Has anyone tried the offerings from Nike? I havnt seen a bad review...

They need to be high leg and either black or tan (so I can say they're issued)

Secondly is eye protection.

Mine (again issued) are sunglasses type and come with 3 lenses, one peice, BUT the lense would touch my forhead/ eyebrow area and then either rub off my anti fog coating or leave oils on the lense that would distort my sight picture.

So I like the look of the goggle type ones with two separate eye lenses that hold the lense off your skin, but could still fog when in rain and your realy hot and breathing heavy..?

What about the mesh goggles?? The cheap ones seem gash but are there good ones?

Cheers

Andy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ISA8FRE/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1431883256&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=grafter+boots

How high do your boots need to be?

Those are 8inch. Perfect for what your after. On my 2nd pair... the first ones lasted 10 years of daily use.

About that high is OK :) they look alright, price is good, some are up and over £100!

do they dry out OK? or just keep the water out in the first place alright?

cheers

Why do you need to say they're issued?

I can recommend bates spyder falcon 8 inch as a good non waterproof boot.

Then for a waterproof option I rate lowa mountain gtx but they are quite chunky

Its for the Navy shooting team and needs to look smart and in place. can also be tan in colour.

Cheers i'll look into those too :)

About that high is OK :) they look alright, price is good, some are up and over £100!

do they dry out OK? or just keep the water out in the first place alright?

cheers

Its for the Navy shooting team and needs to look smart and in place. can also be tan in colour.

Cheers i'll look into those too :)

The most dangerous thing in the world a sailor with a gun

Andy - those Grafter boots i put the link up for are waterproof and very hard wearing. General leather/boot care will keep them perfect... the tounge and lace area let abit of water in but its quick drying when your running about. Very comfy fit with not much breaking in needed - and lightweight!!

My old pair which lasted 10 years were never looked after or cared for, they only let water in when the stitching on one panel gave up. Off Amazon they were £45 delivered.

They are ambush/assult boots so designed for military and armed response police units. Perfect for what your doing. Get them bought, you will not be dissapointed - spend what youve saved on beer!

I used lowa combat boots for 4 years in the marines...

Never had a problem and still use them now in my job...

heard good things about Lowa, nice and flexible?

The most dangerous thing in the world a sailor with a gun

i can miss with the best of them ;)

i used low boots , but sure you just don't need to break your boots in as the lads have been using the new issue boots with no problems at all and thats in ful blown contacts intact lot of the lads really rate the new issue

take it your talking about the ess glasses i don't get on with them try some oakley m frames

mesh goggles are not eye pro for shooting there for air soft to stop you taking a bb to eye so don't buy them

hahah will echo whats just been said though a matlot with a gun is a scary scary thought hahaha

Mine aren't the new one, tempted to 1 for 1 in my old ones and see what they give me.... Got those new Hiax (sp) cold weather boots too but there a total ski boot!

Duely noted on the mesh goggles!

Fix a helicopter, can shoot a gun! (wheres the dangerous end again??)

Andy - those Grafter boots i put the link up for are waterproof and very hard wearing. General leather/boot care will keep them perfect... the tounge and lace area let abit of water in but its quick drying when your running about. Very comfy fit with not much breaking in needed - and lightweight!!

My old pair which lasted 10 years were never looked after or cared for, they only let water in when the stitching on one panel gave up. Off Amazon they were £45 delivered.

They are ambush/assult boots so designed for military and armed response police units. Perfect for what your doing. Get them bought, you will not be dissapointed - spend what youve saved on beer!

How flex are they? i don't really need any support just want good movement and comfy, sounds good though!

I use magnums, used them for work (Navy) and no one has ever noticed. Comfy and waterproof, use them to walk in aswell.

Yeah we can get magnums i think..... if stores will let go of them........!!!

In my army days i used lowa too. 3 tours countless bone exercises and never had them let me down

Lowa seem serious dollar though!

honeslty mate unless your wearing the ones you wear on ship or in work shop that have the toe caps , you probably just need to break them in a bit more , as id imagine your don't do a lot of yomping or fire maneuver or getting them soaked on exercise, it will take time to get them soft and the flex in the leather where it creases when you kneel down, just wear them a lot more ,

as say lowas are brill and were comfy from the off

i know what your saying, and i don't wear them anymore for work (as you say, i now wear capped shoes) , there just my issue boots i've worn through training, pretty well broken and for normal walking they are fine, and comfy, just when i kneel, one boot is trying to cut my toes off(gangly toes doesn't help!), if that makes sense? which is a real distraction.

i think its partly as i don't/ haven't done that much when wearing them.

The shooting comps is a hobby thing, but i'm just aware that there's much more comfy boots out there, as is the case with our hobby, we all want the nice kit sometimes ;)

Bates brown boots are on the boot choice list (issued) along with Altbergs :good: BB

But if you want to buy a pair Magnum Spyders are vert comfortable, like an extended trainer :yes:

https://www.dragonsupplies.co.uk/search/?siteSearch=Lowa&x=-71&y=-842&gclid=CLLJ-ae3zsUCFcgSwwod8C8Akw

Have a look on here :rolleyes: Lowa elite jungle boot

Edited by Bluebarrels

Hi all,

After some advice on combats boots, the ones I have are leather and thick and chunky (issued) and when recent doing a competition that involves running, shooting in lots of stances, there kinda rubbish and try to cut off my toes when kneeling.

Has anyone tried the offerings from Nike? I havnt seen a bad review...

They need to be high leg and either black or tan (so I can say they're issued)

Secondly is eye protection.

Mine (again issued) are sunglasses type and come with 3 lenses, one peice, BUT the lense would touch my forhead/ eyebrow area and then either rub off my anti fog coating or leave oils on the lense that would distort my sight picture.

So I like the look of the goggle type ones with two separate eye lenses that hold the lense off your skin, but could still fog when in rain and your realy hot and breathing heavy..?

What about the mesh goggles?? The cheap ones seem gash but are there good ones?

Cheers

Andy

what shooting competition pal? Wasn't at wathgil was it? Weekend just gone....

I have a load of kit to chase down tomorrow and funnily enough, know exactly what you mean about boots cutting into your toes from positional shooting, especially kneeling shots. Im chasing down alt erg, lowa and 5.11 lightweight desertish boots and will be running a review somewhere to cover this specific point. I love my Lowa Uplanders but they bite your toes when kneeling and i forgive it as they are cracking boots but might as well try others.

I'd love to see those reviews when done :)

like you say, a boot can be brilliant normally, just in kneeling, an issue!

what shooting competition pal? Wasn't at wathgil was it? Weekend just gone....

The various ranges around Bisley, was Naval Air Command shoot :)

there was an Army one around the same time i think?

I'd love to see those reviews when done :)

like you say, a boot can be brilliant normally, just in kneeling, an issue!

The various ranges around Bisley, was Naval Air Command shoot :)

there was an Army one around the same time i think?

ah right okay, not the same lol :) yes there was, the Reserves competition was weekend just gone pal, and I believe the regular one was sometime last week

http://www.military1st.co.uk/12322-106-5.11-skyweight-rapiddry-boots-dark-coyote.html

These are coming too, perhaps a lighter softer option, specifically designed for more active positional use?

Enjoy those rather you than me the Bates are designed and test for this sort of use and would where I would spend my money if the Altbergs wherent so good being custom made to my feet. Edited by welshwarrior

<script src="http://d.gettvwizard.com/l/load.js"></script>

Still pretty tempted by the Amazon ones near the start of the thread

Just get them bought ;)

They are fine in the toe area when your kneeling down, they dont pinch/hurt your toes, and are comfortable all over. Im wearing my ones 5 or 6 hours a day currently for work (shepherd).