101 Trap fore-end

Scully

Have put an ad' in the 'wanted' section so if Mod's feel this is inappropriate then feel free to delete either post.

My first ever 101 was a Lightweight sporter which was frankly a little short in the stock for me but as I was desperate to have one and not having a lot of money I bought it anyhow. The wood was nothing startling but it was a good solid gun with a lovely wide trap fore-end.

I have always favoured the look and feel of trap fore-ends over beavertail and schnabel(?) but have never seen another 101 sporter with a true trap fore-end, and had I known how rare they were at the time wouldn't have sold it.

My 8500 has one obviously, and I sometimes put it on my Grand European, and although it feels the dogs dangles the finish is plain and high gloss, whereas the GE has lovely figured oiled wood.

I just wondered if there is anyone out there who has one, knows of someone who has, or a RFD who has, I would appreciate a heads up. Am not bothered about the finish as have a bloke who is a marvel with gunstocks (you wouldn't have believed the state of the GE wood when I bought it) but it must be nicely figured if possible.

I don't expect much of a response if I'm honest, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

Many thanks.

Mcleods of Tain have a 3 101s listed, one is choked 3/4 & full so may be a trap gun although it is only 28". I may be there in a couple of weeks so can check, or if you enquire and want it looking over no problem and can try and get some pics for you. Let me know.

Hi, I have a fore-end from a super grade trap if your interested. Nicely figured in mint condition. I'll send you a pic tomorrow if that's what your after.

Yes please, would be very interested to see this.

Thanks Gents, have had some really good suggestions, links and feedback on this.

If you have the ironwork surely your man could make one to your specification! :yes:

I had considered this, but think it would be quite expensive. If all else fails it still remains an option. Cheers.