What did you learn to drive in?

Scully

Saw an absolutely pristine Triumph Vitesse down town this morning, in that gorgeous cream colour.

Apart from farmyard cars and tractors in my youth, I learned to drive in one of these on the road which runs along the bottom of the Fells the entire length of the MOD ranges at Warcop Army Training camp.

My Dad at the time had a big red Vauxhall Victor I once took out unaccompanied after removing the L plates (my sincere apologies for that Dad) and my driving instructor had a Mini Clubman in which I took my test, and passed.

My first car was a lovely dark blue Triumph Herald. Loved that car.

What did you learn to drive in on a public road?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rover 110..........with the leather bench seat.....everytime you went round a sharp right hand corner yer bum would slide to the left ...if you didnt have the armrest down....best car for pulling and "doing stuff" to birds.....................

.....the next car was a Anglia van with a mattress in the back ! :whistling:

learnt to drive in a mini taught by an ex-police instructor, I always had the last lesson which usually turned into a pub crawl with me as the cabby,

First car was an Anglia Van with bits of tractors in the back no mattress :hmm:

Edited by islandgun

Driving school A40,

Practised on Dad's SIII Morris Oxford and Mum's 1931 Austin 7 (bit tricky that one, with the "back to front", 3 speed, non-syncro gearbox and the cable "just pray" brakes.)

First car was an A35

We were a Longbridge household!

Edited by amateur

Saw an absolutely pristine Triumph Vitesse down town this morning, in that gorgeous cream colour.

Apart from farmyard cars and tractors in my youth, I learned to drive in one of these on the road which runs along the bottom of the Fells the entire length of the MOD ranges at Warcop Army Training camp.

My Dad at the time had a big red Vauxhall Victor I once took out unaccompanied after removing the L plates (my sincere apologies for that Dad) and my driving instructor had a Mini Clubman in which I took my test, and passed.

What did you learn to drive in on a public road?

as an apprentice mechanic I used to be last away and first in so I could drive the cars in and out of the workshop then bought a mk 1 cortina and drove to work and back with a mechanic who had had passed his test on the day I was due to take my test I had to drive to the test center early and park the car outside by myself and hoped none of the examiners sore me as the other lad went on holiday without letting me know .Anyway past first time The first car I drove other than mine was a herald I collected it from a customer to take to the workshop for new rear cross members to be welded bloody awful cars to work on could never replace the exhausts without heating them up and bending them to stop them from knocking against the body. :lol:

Commer Highwayman, with a column change box

One like these

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylc=X1MDMjE0MjQ3ODk0OARfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC10LTkwMwRmcjIDc2EtZ3AEZ3ByaWQDBG5fZ3BzAzQEb3JpZ2luA3VrLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMQRwcXN0cgMEcXVlcnkDY29tbWVyIGhpZ2h3YXltYW4Ec2FjAzEEc2FvAzE-?p=commer%20highwayman&fr=yfp-t-903-s

When I passed my test, I bought a ford 100E van, 998cc 3 speed, 0 to 50 in a fortnight job, loved that motor, travelled all over the south of England in it

Commer van. First car was a mini van I shared with a brother.

I remember reading his diary once: It had entries like - Tina - no go, Karen - wrong week, Louise pojic, When I asked what that meant he told me it was 'pull out job in car. :lol:

One of those powder blue 12/50

Had no brakes unless the handbrake was pulled mostly on

I sold it to my mate who knew all about this but just forgot, and then drove it into his girlfriends dad garage door :lol:

Commer Highwayman, with a column change box

One like these

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylc=X1MDMjE0MjQ3ODk0OARfcgMyBGZyA3lmcC10LTkwMwRmcjIDc2EtZ3AEZ3ByaWQDBG5fZ3BzAzQEb3JpZ2luA3VrLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDMQRwcXN0cgMEcXVlcnkDY29tbWVyIGhpZ2h3YXltYW4Ec2FjAzEEc2FvAzE-?p=commer%20highwayman&fr=yfp-t-903-s

When I passed my test, I bought a ford 100E van, 998cc 3 speed, 0 to 50 in a fortnight job, loved that motor, travelled all over the south of England in it

I had a commor van used to love the sliding door

My dad had a audi engine in a mini ... god knows who done the transplant but it was a autocross car and it was ******* quick !!!I learned in that but the first car I bought was either a r5 gtt .. or a Fiat uno turbo ie ...

Edited by mad1