What did you learn to drive in?

Scully

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learned to drive on a tractor at about age seven, maybe eight. Cutting with a D8 scraper by thirteen, driving landrover and riding motorbikes around the farm. Road use was mum's raleigh moped, then moved onto a proper honda 50 motorbike. Moved up to 175 honda then took a (very) few lessons to pass car driving test in a hillman minx 1500. The second lesson culminated in an 'emergency' stop from about 70mph, just to try out the stopping power of the disc brakes. Instructor asked if I had booked a test date (which I hadn't), so lessons stopped until a couple of jaunts around town to get used to the vehicle just before taking the test. The only hillman I have driven, I think.

A bit different to the average road user learning to drive!

Never took a test in a car did the dual HGV test in a Bedford Tk when I was just turned 18 in the army.We had been out on the lash till gone 0500, at 9 when my test was due to start I was still half pi**ed.Needless to say I failed and had to take it again the next day but I was sober for that one and passed it

Learned to ride bikes first,had a cr 125 Motox bike then did my cbt on a Kawasaki Ar50. At 17 I bought a nsr 125 then did some lessons in a Rover metro.!

Instructor said it was the best 1st driving lesson he'd ever had (so I was chuffed).

Put in for test on the next lesson, 6 more lessons and I passed first time.

My first driving experience on the road was in my mothers Austin A35 four door, then, if the old man was in a patient enough mood it would an honour to pilot the Triumph Toledo, my driving instructor had a dual control Triumph Herald and my first car was a HA Viva.

First vehicle I ever drove was a Lancer Side Loader Forklift at my dad's works. I was about nine or ten years old.

First, unofficial lessons were in a Ford Capri Mark 1 Facelift

I started my official driving lessons in a Datsun Sunny, finished them in a Mini.

passed march 1965 in a Hillman minx. lessons were only 19 shillings and sixpence in old money, around 95 pence today.

had hundreds of different cars over the years but my only vehicle now is a 300tdi 90. love it.

Bloody Hell ! I was 'done' cost me £1 per lesson in 1964. Mind you it was a brand new Vauxhall Viva.