Accident in the car park

Chukar

Our company is renting an office in a building which runs bay Avanta. I have a parking spot in the car park and today we had an accident. A piece of window glass (which broke due to strong wind) smashed into side of my car door and caused a big dent. There is also lots of scratches. I'm wondering can I claim through their building insurance? I don't want to go to my car insurance for obvious reason (increase in premium).

ACT OF GOD !

Had a roof deposit its roof tiles on one of our vans in 2013, The buildings owners are not Liable ! You WILL have to clam on your car insurance and it will be classed as your fault ( you will lose your no claims discount unless you have protected as I had, BUT your insurance will still go up )

Sorry !!

But been there done that :/

ACT OF GOD !

Had a roof deposit its roof tiles on one of our vans in 2013, The buildings owners are not Liable ! You WILL have to clam on your car insurance and it will be classed as your fault ( you will lose your no claims discount unless you have protected as I had, BUT your insurance will still go up )

Sorry !!

But been there done that :/

I don't know. Actually it was a tenant in 4th floor that had the window open and the gust shuts the window so hard that breaks half of it. Doesn't look pure act of god to me!

I had a chat with the site manager and she told me they are in talk with higher management, let's see what would be the outcome.

I would suggest that the answer is along the lines that fenboy mentioned-you park at your own risk-even more likely if its free parking.

The fact is we are paying for this parking spots. So I assume it comes with some responsibility from provider which happens to be the same entity that caused the damage.

last people to inform are your insurance, as soon as you report it, it is classed as a accident, If you have no look finding a solution think about paying yourself, before calling them.

That's what I'm doing now. I went to Toyota dealership (my car is Prius) and they quote me £1700 and a week of work! Talked with a guy from local garage and he told should be around £300 and maximum 2 days job. I'm still waiting for landlord to come back to me.

You might be shocked BUT even if part of a building falls off due to abnormal weather and kills a bystander, there is very little chance of an insurance pay out !

Ps My claim was £7500 for dent's and paint damage to a six month old VW T5 van, glad I had protected no claims BUT insurance still went up, including my personal and wife's as i'm a named driver :unhappy:

Edited by coldweld

When mum was still driving a few years ago, she was in a queue for the tip when a man who couldn't wait came past and dropped his TV down mum's car door. He claimed that was an act of god!

If it was my Mum I'd have ensured he met the man himself a lot sooner than expected.

all sorts of criteria to consider, if you are renting under what terms lease or licence tenancy at will or serviced office ?, are you the only occupier the terms will specify who insures what in the building

It's a serviced office and I'm not the only occupier. I contacted our company real estate guy and he told me the contract is a bit vague however it can interpret as landlord is responsible for this.

Anyway, I just spoke to site manager and she told they are gathering all the information and I will receive a call from their management about the next step. fingers crossed they oblige to pay for this.

Reading this topic with interest and looking forward th the outcome.

Regarding telling your own car insurer - it was brought up in a newspaper article recently that you are obliged, by the policy terms, to notify the insurer of any accident or occurrence irrespective of intending to claim or not. Even if you don't claim, and it was not your fault, they can put up your insurance because you were involved in an accident.

Worth remembering insurers give claim information to each other.

You really can't win with an insurance company!

some years ago, a bloke hit me down the side of the car.

Admitted liablitiy, got my car fixed (MY INSURANCE WENT UP ) the Next Year.

When pointing out it had been settled by the other party, they explained it was STILL and Accident and I had to cough up..

Do you know why ????. They are ALL in EACH OTHERS POCKETS:::: You Can`t Win:

It Might As Well be One Gigantic Insurance Company... (Which it is)..

• 3 months later...

I know it took couple of months but eventually I got the money for repair from Avanta. :yahoo:

Now the question is should I go to local garage (paying £300 and keeping the rest for me) or it's better to hand over all of it to Toyota dealership and have a better job? :hmm: