Tx200

stutieb

Evening all , anybody else can't get on with a tx200 ? I've shot springers all my life couldn't bring myself to turn my back on them and go the pcp route ,anyway after a gradual decline in accuracy of my .22goldstar I took the plunge and brought a .177 tx200 hc ,is it me or are they just too snappy in 177 with the short barrel ?

Picked up my old goldie earlier and couldn't believe how nice it felt in the shoulder and light compared to the tx ! Feel like sacking it off and picking up a vmach kit for the goldie or the dreaded pcp route !!!

Help ?

Never been a fan of the TX either. That damned anti bear trap catch on the side. Yuk. Much prefer the pro sport. No longer own that now but it was a nice rifle. Horses for courses i suppose.

The TX and the prosport can be hold sensitive so i think the best advice is don't give up and put lots of practice in. 22 springers tend to be more forgiving in the sense of the word but for me 177 is the only calibre in sub 12ft lb ;)

ATB,

Pat

Trade it in on a HW97K - you won't regret it. ;)

Can't argue with that. I sold my Prosport to fund another buy 3years ago. When i was hankering after another springer i went for an LGU which is very similar to a TX. Could'nt get away with it at all. Always fancied a 77k which is what i own now although currently residing in SFS awaiting a stage 2 by Tony Wall. Missing it :yes:

ATB,

Pat

As always I can't fault the advice from fellow members ,something's got to give ,pat g your rite on the money they are very temperamental ! I foolishly thought 177 was the holy grail after shooting a friends s200 , I know in a pcp it's the way forward but I've learnt the hard way I think , I do think a .22 would of been a better option in a springer ! He ho ... Thanks again lads please feel free to chip and convince me I'm wrong on the 177 v 22 in springer debate

All the best guys

Spring don ,I couldn't agree more,tried a 97 but thought arrrgggghhhhh I'll get used to it and work round it mistake I know

Got nothing against pcps but I'm a traditionalist and can't turn my back on years of springers and growing up salivating over john darlings and Jim wyatt articles

Can't argue with that. I sold my Prosport to fund another buy 3years ago. When i was hankering after another springer i went for an LGU which is very similar to a TX. Could'nt get away with it at all. Always fancied a 77k which is what i own now although currently residing in SFS awaiting a stage 2 by Tony Wall. Missing it :yes:

ATB,

Pat

Let me know how you get on with sfs tune ,spoke to them a few times but never took the plunge the time it's away always put me off

Let me know how you get on with sfs tune ,spoke to them a few times but never took the plunge the time it's away always put me off

i'll certainly let you know how the rifle is when its returned from Sandwell. i put a few tins of pellets through it before i took the plunge. I was told around 10 weeks. It'll be 7 weeks this weekend so hopefully not much longer.

They are busy for a reason you know and that can only be because of their reputation, after sales and Tony Walls attention to detail. A few of the lads on here have SFS tuned rifles and all speak highly of them.

ATB,

Pat

Oh god yeah I know they are the dogs danglies ,that's one of the reasons why I went down the line of the tx ,couldn't really do with out the gold star for so that long

Thanks lads for all the replies , you guys are the best ,looks like I'm off to see what trade in I can wrangle

All the best lads and thanks again

stutieb,,I can understand you being a traditionalist and using springers,,BUT time has moved on bud, I loved the hw80 I had but after using a pcp realised what comfy easy shooting is all about, also being able to have that all important follow up shot when things didn,t go to plan,,

pcp is the way to go for hunting,, yes having a springer for hitting watermelons at 10ft is ok but using a pcp is effortless and also kinder on the quarry your after

stutieb,,I can understand you being a traditionalist and using springers,,BUT time has moved on bud, I loved the hw80 I had but after using a pcp realised what comfy easy shooting is all about, also being able to have that all important follow up shot when things didn,t go to plan,,

pcp is the way to go for hunting,, yes having a springer for hitting watermelons at 10ft is ok but using a pcp is effortless and also kinder on the quarry your after

You are right I know deep down my love affair with a gun that doesn't love me back is going nowhere ,me thinks the winds of change are a blowing !

• 2 weeks later...

I've found the tx 200 a really well made and accurate gun. It's the most consistory accurate rifle I own. But I can't be dealing with the anti bear trap, plus the fact that it's too "pretty" to drag through the woods and hedges to hunt with. It's a lovely air gun but I just don't like using it.

Having owned loads of air rifles (vulcan, BSAs, Weihrauch, Falcon precharged etc etc) I bought a TX200 in .22 a few years back and it has been without a shadow of doubt, the best hunting air rifle I've ever owned in 35 years of shooting. Very accurate. Yes, it is heavy (I have the carbine version) but that helps reduce recoil from the spring which in turn helps accuracy. I wouldn't ever contemplate owning another air rifle after using this. It's a keeper. Tough as old boots, and consistently accurate up to the legal limit. What more is needed? The aniti-bear trap mechanism is a pain but I can see why they've done it and it's easily adapted to. Sold my pre-charged Falcon a few years back as I couldn't be had with all that bottle nonsense, having to get it recharged several times a year, then having to get it re-proofed not to mention pellet lube etc. Prices for pre-charged air rifles are also daft...through the roof compared with even rimfire rifles. The TX remains reasonably priced, hard hitting and very consistently accurate. Classic air rifle imho.

I had a Diana 280 K it was awful, twanged , hard to cock and inaccurate , sent it to SFS and it came back a different rifle , easy to cock, smooth, accurate , don't know what they do but it works .. really well.

I have to agree with lockstockandbarrel-the TX is in a class of its own-its practically a custom rifle at a run of the mill price. The shorter barrel is going to bark a bit but that's the nature of the beast. Without wishing to sound harsh-if you cant master such a precision piece of equipment then changing to something that ,chances are, is inferior is not the answer-stick with it and practice as much as you can and the gun will reward you handsomely.

I loved my TX200 its sadly at the bottom of a gravel pit after some rather dodgy footwork negotiating a narrow path.I was in mourning for months after. I tried a pcp, yes nice and light and the multi shot comes in handy but they lack the "grunt" of a springer, you squeeze the trigger on a springer and you know you have fired it, a pcp is just a click and not very satisfying.

But do agree on the tx's downsides ie the weight, and the bear trap, but second to none as a hunting rifle,

I have a BSA Lighting tactical now and must say its no TX but its as tough as old boots, accurate pretty light for a springer.

The main downside is the barrel weight/silencer/cocking aid, if it gets wet cocking the gun can be quite precarious as it gets very slippery. so some cloth camo tape soon resolves that.

But I digress, for me the TX is the bestest gun I've ever owned.

Edited by fatchap

The bear trap is the mechanism that prevents you taking your finger off when loading a pellet. It means that the sear cannot be released whilst the breach is open to receive a pellet. It requires a lever to be pushed in on the side of the rifle to release the cocking lever to its return position before the trigger can engage.

I can only agree but I've shot well with it for the last few years no problem ,all of a sudden it's gone to rat s,,t!

Must be me ,thanks for all the comments and advice lads ,I'm sticking with it and I'll keep you posted ,cheers lads

The TX is simply the best springer available in my opinion, without wishing to sound argumentative if you are using the correct pellets and cannot get results its YOU doing something wrong.