blackpowder storage box

Hello everyone,im going to put in for a blackpowder ticket asap so ill be needing a storage box,ive got a big offcut of 18mm ply from work so figured id make one myself!so how big are tubs of blackpowder?and does anyone have any dimensions of a ready made box?any advise is greatly appreciated fellas.

Seem to recall that a intumescent strip is a good idea to help seal the lid and that brass screws should be used to prevent sparks. Its a good idea to let your local fire brigade know as well that your outhouse (normally) contains explosives. Buy the right plastics if you intend to keep individual charges in your bag-anti static is a must unless you want to spend time in the field picking up body parts. Have fun.

Seem to recall that a intumescent strip is a good idea to help seal the lid and that brass screws should be used to prevent sparks. Its a good idea to let your local fire brigade know as well that your outhouse (normally) contains explosives. Buy the right plastics if you intend to keep individual charges in your bag-anti static is a must unless you want to spend time in the field picking up body parts. Have fun.

good point!i rather enjoy my body being in one piece.I was thinking of making a cartridge box from a block of wood with holes drilled in then paper cartridges slotted in,then fit that into a leather belt pouch or bag.do you think that would that work safely?

good point!i rather enjoy my body being in one piece.I was thinking of making a cartridge box from a block of wood with holes drilled in then paper cartridges slotted in,then fit that into a leather belt pouch or bag.do you think that would that work safely?

You mean like the British army and others use to lol ;-)

You mean like the British army and others use to lol ;-)

hello U,yes something like that.Are they practical or is it better to carry everything in a bag?i saw some proper early victorian cartridge boxs in my regiments museum once and they looked quite handy but bulky.time to surf the net for ideas as to what to knock up i think :-) Edited by deadeye18

I normally carry around 30 plastic screw top tubes (Peter Starley stocks them for pennies) with a single charge of black in each one-these are stored in a compartment in my bag then dropped into the bottom of the bag as I use them-makes life a little easier and neater. What gun are you getting btw percussion or flintlock? and what make/gauge only I have quite a few bits laid around.

Just finishing off an 1860 Pattern cartridge box for a Pritchett Enfield...complete with buff sling & cap pouch.

He uses paper patched bullets loaded into paper cartridges & wanted a period correct cartridge box.

Sounds nice. Put some photos up please.

I have and sometimes do make paper cartridges for powder and shot.

U.

I normally carry around 30 plastic screw top tubes (Peter Starley stocks them for pennies) with a single charge of black in each one-these are stored in a compartment in my bag then dropped into the bottom of the bag as I use them-makes life a little easier and neater. What gun are you getting btw percussion or flintlock? and what make/gauge only I have quite a few bits laid around.

i inherited a 58cal smoothbore percussion 1841 mississippi made by bernardelli 2yrs ago after dad died and this beautys been screaming at me to be shot!ive got wads,shot card punch,cleaning rod with brush,mop,some 2 prong twisted spike thing and i think a ball puller.2big tins of shot,ball mould that i cant use anyway(yet) that i found in the shed and a percussion cap pouch.I dropped the paperwork in yesterdays post so its a wait n see now guys!building the storage box tomorrow and hopefully it wont look like frank spenser built it.from what you and Underdog have said it sounds like the name of the game is travel light.

.58 are fun but tend to be heavy and the smooth versions usually shoot high.//<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=this,h=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=g;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var l=function(b){var d=b.length;if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var m=function(b){var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d.length;++c)a=a.concat(l(document.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)q(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a.length;++c){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[c]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=312844&p=2829948&md5check=6a35be69da5e903f4899f459b41f4ace&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,qg-BlgO9Q-A');

//]]>fridayhunt010.jpg

good pick Underdog,is that an enfield?

I,m afraid I don't have anything that would be of use to you-all my stuff is 12g but it sounds like you have just about everything you need.

thankyou for the very kind offer anyway bruno22rf :-) sounds like all i need is powder and a fair weather sunday then!

This is why these forums are great,having people with the know how at your fingertips,i knew next to nothing about muzzloading before coming on here and going on an american muzzloading forum its teaching me loads.thankyou for all your responses chaps.

We definately need a Black powder sub forum somewhere where we can discuss and share our backwards obsession.

Backwards obsession! I resemble that remark!

Lol, its the future I tell you! One day all guns will be this much fun :-)

Edited by Underdog