• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recieved this from the local Conservarives MP:

Dear Constituent,

Thank you for your email.

Although it is likely to be a free vote (should it be bought before Parliament), please be assured I would not vote to repeal the Hunting Act.

I trust that puts your mind at rest.

Heidi Allen MP

Member of Parliament for South Cambridgeshire

Doesn't seem to have understood the question, thinks I'm an anti. Plus "bought" before?

I had already sent an email before reading this post. But I recived exactly the same derogatory reply as above!

Dear James,

Thank you for your email.

Although it is likely to be a free vote (should it be bought before Parliament), please be assured I would not vote to repeal the Hunting Act.

I trust that puts your mind at rest.

Heidi Allen MP

Member of Parliament for South Cambridgeshire

And my further reply:

Dear Heidi,

I'm afraid this does not put my mind at rest. I would urge you to reflect upon the largely rural demographic of your constituency, and vote to repeal the hunting act.

I was aware that this matter would most likely come to a free vote, although I find this rather disappointing given the party's stance within its manifesto.

Would it be possible for me to discuss this with you at your constituency office on Friday?

(I understand you spend Fridays in South Cambs)

If this is not possible, please propose another convenient time.

Regards,

James

I pass her offices on a daily basis, so shall be 'popping in' untill I get a response!

My I also mention SRS power's as allways brillant video on this matter: https://youtu.be/k9Uhuy2au3w

As allways he has hit the nail on the head... If we want to get our generally quashed voice heard we must stand together on country issues!

[by the way SRS if you are readin this it is James Baker from the comments]

Where abouts in south cambs are you TriBSA?

Opinions pepole?

Many Thanks,

James

Opinions pepole?

Many Thanks,

James

My opinion?

You MAY have a chance of changing her mind, but it's doubtful...would you change your mind and support the ban?

Whatever happens it will be a very tight vote. There are a fair few 'modern' Conservatives who are against hunting, and if the SNP decide to vote on the issue any hope of repeal will be dead in the water.

You would not change my mind, but that I because I have hunted my whole life and feel very strongly about it.

I happen to know that Hidi does not have a strong opinion on the matter and Prier to the election had not expressed an opinion. (from a very nice local farmer who is a conservative member)

I know it is slim but if I can do my bit and change her opinion... That's one good thing!

Further to this, what about another march to parliament square in full hunting attire?!

Tbh I am a bit surprised by this post, I thought as a site the ethics are about clean kills and doing everything in our power to avoid any unnessacery suffering for any animals? Chasing a terrified fox for miles with a pack of hounds before they rip it apart couldn't be further away from that, or am I missing something ?

Twistedsanity... Your name certainly fits!

You are missing something, as when hunts could hunt. The fox got away 9/10 and the ones that where caught where sick or injured.

It also puts ALOT of money into the countryside. The number of nice little jobs (for local lads/ old chaps) that where lost was terrible. (I know of several such cases personally)

May I add that if my claim to fame is marching into parliament square during a 'demonstration' in full hunting attire. Then I will be one very happy bunny!

But I maintain my point that we must stand together. That's if we ever want our voice heard and not have lefty tree huggers wipe out ALL of our sports in good time!

Edited by Bobby199

Twistedsanity... Your name certainly fits!

You are missing something, as when hunts could hunt. The fox got away 9/10 and the ones that where caught where sick or injured.

It also puts ALOT of money into the countryside. The number of nice little jobs (for local lads/ old chaps) that where lost was terrible. (I know of several such cases personally)

May I add that if my claim to fame is marching into parliament square during a 'demonstration' in full hunting attire. Then I will be one very happy bunny!

But I maintain my point that we must stand together. That's if we ever want our voice heard and not have lefty tree huggers wipe out ALL of our sports in good time!

Thanks , That makes sense I suppose , where does the 9/10 figure come from? Is that personal experience ? I like to think I'm open minded and don't believe everything I hear but have only ever heard the anti fox hunting side that is commonly thrown about which makes it sound justifiably cruel and unnessacery, if nothing else the anti arguement is doing wonders for Ricky gervais's flagging career on Facebook (like the anti voting stance did for Russel Brand) there are always two sides to every story

Yes 9/10 was personal experience (but to be honest on reflection I would actually put the fiure at closer to 14/15)

I am rather annoyed (to say the least) that it is the general leftist done thing to bee seen to be a bunny hugger!

Which is why pepole who have no experince of it almost without fail 'form there own opinion' against hunting!

This is the only side the media [feels safe] putting forward.

I really think we must support one another as mark my words shooting, fishing ect. will be next!

Edited by Bobby199

It is sad, I have lost count of the amount of times I have explained the necessity of culling for the good of the heard or simply to control vermin to bunny huggers, it usually ends up with "so if you are against all killing of animals you would be happy to have an infestation of rats urinating all over your children's bedding and food" for which there is no answer they can give apart from the usual"everything has an equal right to life man" , my brother is a bunny hugging hippy which is odd as we both grew up on a farm , they are happy to have animals reared in horrible conditions purely to make their weekly macdonalds though

I'm amazed that your brother is a bunny hugger if he owns/ runs a farm!

But your quite right, they suddenly change when it starts effecting them....

Does anyone know how to put sound recordings up here on the I-phone?

I had a funny incident the other day with my partner... She is not against shooting (else her horses would break legs in rabbit holes)

But both her parents are bunny huggers. And are appalled that I hunt, shoot, fish ect. (So I bring it up as much as is humanly possible/ leave carts on the side/ turn up to say hi after hunting in full attire... You get the idea)

If I could put this recording up you guys would find it very funny!

Again, I'm not against hunting with hounds, but again, it has been mentioned that '9/10 foxes get away' and it is mostly the 'sick and injured' which are caught, and now 'culling for the good of the 'heard' (sic).

Those who want to hunt with hounds need to decide once and for all why it is done. If it's pest control, then it isn't a cull for the good of the herd and nor is it very effective if 9/10 are getting away.

If it's sport, then basically you're stuffed. Shooters are only hanging onto their 'sport' by the skin of their teeth because it hasn't been banned....yet. Hunts have an uphill struggle whichever way you look at it and in my opinion their chances of a repeal are slightly higher than a repeal of the handgun ban I would say.

As an aside anglers keep getting mentioned. Does anyone know exactly how many anglers would be willing to add their voice to those of the fox hunts or shooters? I doubt it would be many if the fishermen I know are anything to go by, and I know a lot

Game anglers would and do, Sea anglers possibly but very, very few course anglers would as they don't kill but put their captures back so, cause no harm ( ???). That's the flawed argument that the majority have given me during that debate.

One could argue that course angling is by far the cruellest of all fieldsports. Collick Willock gives a good answers to this in the last chapter of his book 'Landscape with a Solitary Figure' (well worth the read if you can obtain a copy).

Again, I'm not against hunting with hounds, but again, it has been mentioned that '9/10 foxes get away' and it is mostly the 'sick and injured' which are caught, and now 'culling for the good of the 'heard' (sic).

Those who want to hunt with hounds need to decide once and for all why it is done. If it's pest control, then it isn't a cull for the good of the herd and nor is it very effective if 9/10 are getting away.

If it's sport, then basically you're stuffed. Shooters are only hanging onto their 'sport' by the skin of their teeth because it hasn't been banned....yet. Hunts have an uphill struggle whichever way you look at it and in my opinion their chances of a repeal are slightly higher than a repeal of the handgun ban I would say.

As an aside anglers keep getting mentioned. Does anyone know exactly how many anglers would be willing to add their voice to those of the fox hunts or shooters? I doubt it would be many if the fishermen I know are anything to go by, and I know a lot

Edited by Penelope

Again we are talking about mounted fox hunts......... That's truly only a very small part of it but is sadly the part that all the media and the guillable seem to think its all about.

The true victims of the act are the farmers and gun packs. The pest controllers. The lurcher and terrier lads (usually working class) and some landowners and keepers........ As I said, rats legal, grey squirrels illegal.....why is that so different.

Get it repealled to allow better choices for humane pest control.

And yes I know mounted hunts catch very few and were very good at spreading out the foxes rather than culling them. But its all the rest that is the baby that got thrown out with the bath water and what we need back.

And foot hunts: beagles, basslets (some harrier) ect.

They all where banned...

Again showing very very few hunters are actually mounted fox hunters....... And let's not forget coursing..... Percentage wise "fox hunts" are probably the smallest section to have lost out and not reflective of the ban!

so much for the tories supporting us...

Dear Mr xxxxx,

Thank you for your email regarding the vote on the Hunting Act.

I can certainly understand the strong feelings that many of my constituents have on this issue and, as I am sure you understand, I have received a large volume of emails in a very short space of time from those wishing to let me know their views. The Prime Minister has said that a majority Conservative government will give parliament the opportunity to repeal the Hunting Act on a free vote. On this occasion, I would vote to keep the hunting ban and I strongly believe that this would be the view of the majority of the House. While I do have concerns that the Hunting Act as it stands is not as effective as it could be, particularly as we are aware of illegal hunts which continue to take place, I would not like to see the Hunting Act repealed.

I am sorry that on this occasion we have differing views on this matter. I do understand that there has been an increase in urban foxes and it may be that a discussion needs to take place in parliament about how this can be managed in a humane way, however I would not like to see hunting returned as a sport.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

With best wishes,

Mrs Anne Main

Member for St Albans

House of Commons

SW1A 0AA

0207 219 8270

Email: maina@parliament.uk

My local MP, Peter Lilley (Cons) replied to my letter.

An excerpt:

"I personally have never taken part in or even attended a hunt. But when the Act was before Parliament, I took the view that hunting with dogs should not be banned given that the Burns report concluded that if hunting was banned the alternative methods of controlling foxes are likely to be as bad or worse for the fox than hunting them with dogs. Nor could I see any reason for singling out hunting with dogs while permitting shooting and angling."

Very good to see a non hunter taking the evidence which was put forward at the time, along with a common courtesy to the wider community.

:good:

Edited by Billy.