Quarry Tile Question

Passionforangling

I have succumbed and agreed to replace our kitchen. I might as well because there don't seem to be too many pigeons about around here at the moment!

I spent today removing the old kitchen which was actually rather a nice hand made pine kitchen which I thought was fine but the other half saw it in a different light! As an aside to my question which will follow, I had advertised the kitchen on a well known auction site and was VERY PLEASED with the figure it has sold for and was amazed that it had over 1000 views and had 102 watchers by the time it ended last week! Anyway, I digress.

The kitchen isn't huge, it's about 4m by 3m and currently has quarry tiles laid. Again, I quite like them but the boss doesn't so they have to come up. I had to remove a few today while getting the kitchen out and it was quite hard work so I want to try and get some mechanical device to help. A full size Kango would be overkill but I could do with something to help. Is there a tool I can buy or hire that might at least leave me with arm capable of lifting a gun next month?

Any advice gratefully received ......

I use a big HD floor scraper for stuff like this at work, it's a bit medieval looking but does the job well enough without having to spend too much money on something else mechanical. not that i'm opposed to spending money on good kit as I like nothing more than buying quality tools. but sometimes the physical exertion is good for relieving the stress :lol:

Edited by Paddy Galore!

If you're saving them to sell ? as Paddy says. Just depends what and how they were originally laid? Could be on cement , Clinker/Ash or even straight on hard sub soil .

If its just to remove ready for a new screed , then as above ^^

They are the more modern quarry tiles, half inch thick laid on a cement type mortar bed it seems with a cement grout between. Ideally I need to get them up and leave a fairly flat surface underneath to take the new tiles. The new floor cannot be any higher than the existing floor. Paddy, I googled HD floor scraper but couldn't quite see how they would remove tiles that are firmly stuck down, maybe I looked at the wrong thing?

Yes , as littlerob and Fenboy says , either full on Breaker or SDS breaker. Machinemart do a decent affordable sds range if you haven't got one ?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/sds-sds-and-sds-max-drills/brand/clarke/type/any/module/shopcategory/page/1

At this point would your Tiler not want to prepare the site ready for his work ?

Maybe an option for you ?

At least the Tiler knows everything is to his standards ?

Edited by RedRobin

Skate is just a local term for the thornbacks , quite why I have never understood !![cdata[>![cdata[>

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-con1500rhd-professional-6-function-sds

Thanks for all the advice fellas, the above seems to be a tool that would make the job easier than hand held chisel and lump hammer. And RedRobin, at the moment I'm planning to do the tiling!

Edited by Passionforangling

A bit cheaper option , free next day delivery.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-5kg-sds-drill-230-240v/97533

A bit cheaper option , free next day delivery.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-5kg-sds-drill-230-240v/97533

Yes, and it has good reviews on their website. And there's a Screwfix 3 miles from here so I can easily pop in and pick one up, thanks Fenboy.

Maybe JDog will go halves with me, he's into DIY now it seems!

Edited by Passionforangling

Had exactly the same job a couple of weeks back-after spending hours with a chisel and hammer I picked up an SDS drill at B&Q for £17!!-it smashes them to pieces in seconds and I had so much fun doing it that I finally broke up some old concrete post bases that have been in the garden for years.