intelligent lamb and other animals

islandgun

My youngest bottle fed a neighbours lamb while they were away (they are a few crofts down the road) weeks later and and looking to renew its bond with my daughter and for more food, the lamb turned up at our door having found a way past two fences and walked up the road I could understand a dog doing this but a lamb surprises me

anyone got some intelligent animal stories

Edited by islandgun

That is a realy nice story.

Unfortunately all our animals are thick as ****, apart from the dogs. I did have a big sow pig that managed to escape from our livestock trailer on the way to the abattoir, no idea how but is was a bit of a suprise when I opened the trailer to unload with the man from the abattoir with nothing in there.

That is a realy nice story.

Unfortunately all our animals are thick as ****, apart from the dogs. I did have a big sow pig that managed to escape from our livestock trailer on the way to the abattoir, no idea how but is was a bit of a suprise when I opened the trailer to unload with the man from the abattoir with nothing in there.

:) what happend to the sow ? you must have had some big vents on your trailer !

Theres something about lambs, they are delightful, but as soon as they start eating grass, they become retarded.

Im guessing you have Border Leicester sheep

The pet lambs have a hard life they so get used to man. Around here they are getting into texals. Within a few weeks the lamb goes from looking cute to bleeding ugle. I love the black face lamb, a great looking lamb, and a sheep in miniature.

It does not take long for the teeth to come through then no sucking fingers the little sod hurt :-)

Theres something about lambs, they are delightful, but as soon as they start eating grass, they become retarded.

some kids on a few estates around here fit that bill.

KW

:) what happend to the sow ? you must have had some big vents on your trailer !

I can only think that i must not of shut the trailer properly or the side door somehow bounced open and slammed shut behind the pig. A nice farmer found it by one of his gates and got it in a secure field so I could collect it, it was none the worse for wear. It was a strange phone call to the local police explaining that there is a quarter of a ton of pig somewhere between here and there about 8 miles on the lose.

says a lot for the veggie diet doesnt it :lol:

I've just spat my beer out.

I'll be in touch soon, I'm rubbish at communication, I think it's because the crops are so high now the rifles are mothballed for a while, I've not forgotten.

Edited by kyska

A horse-I've experience of hundreds- is as intelligent as an engineering brick- beautiful creatures but, north of the neck, solid concrete. Chickens (and birds generally), on the other hand, are under-rated, I believe. I've had hens that were mental giants compared with your average horse- no kidding! Goats are pretty bright; some would rival the average dog. But I'll bet there are some interesting accounts available of remarkably intelligent dogs- that might be an interesting thread?

We used to have a big Charolais bull running with our cows. One Sunday lunch time the bull appeared on the front lawn. We put him back in the field, and as we walked the hedges to see how he got out we found a heifer in difficulties calving. We put it down to a coincidence. However, the bull did this several times over that summer, and each time there was a cow calving. In the end, whenever the bull got out, we'd check the fields before putting him back.

We also had a cow that could count. In the milking parlour, the fourth stall on the left would always yield more feed if knocked. This one cow had worked this out. We could never get her to go down the right aisle at all. she would always stand by the gate into the left side, she would let 3 cows go by and then force herself in. If 4 cows went past, then she'd back out and wait for the next batch. Very clever animals.

A horse-I've experience of hundreds- is as intelligent as an engineering brick- beautiful creatures but, north of the neck, solid concrete. Chickens (and birds generally), on the other hand, are under-rated, I believe. I've had hens that were mental giants compared with your average horse- no kidding! Goats are pretty bright; some would rival the average dog. But I'll bet there are some interesting accounts available of remarkably intelligent dogs- that might be an interesting thread?

we had a hen that always used to wait by the fence to be lifted back into the pen (because i did it once) when she was perfectly capable of flying in like the rest, we also had JR terrier that had an injured leg and she always waited for me to carry her up a row of steps, it was only when i saw her hopping up the steps when out with my wife that i realised she just waited for me, to make me feel useful

If you want an intelligent animal, go get a pig.

Have also seen intelligent cattle over the years - one dairy cow that could open a gate, she worked out how to lift the latch with her tongue, and then to push on the gate (the pressure held the latch up) while getting hold of the locking bar to push that across. Took us ages to work out exactly how she was doing it.

Agreed about horses. Most of them are so dense that I'm surprised they can remember to eat.

In terms of dogs, border collies seem about the most intelligent. Especially the working farm dogs. My wife's grandfather (no longer with us) was a shepherd, and as he got older the dogs would do the gathering and moving while he stood by the gate, not needing to use the whistle at all. Then again, he was a champion handler, having appeared on 'One man and his dog', so they were exceptionally well trained dogs.

We had free range warren hens. They used to sneak into the kitchen if the door was open to nick the cat munchies.

One year when it was very hot we had an air con unit running in the bungalow corridor. OH came in from working in the garden to find our GSD we had at the time had opened the kitchen door and there were six chickens in the corridor in front of the air con with their wings out chilling.

OH was watching the TV one afternoon and fell asleep. He woke up to two chickens perched down on the back of his armchair either side of his head watching TV.

They have had to be penned now as Logan the setter has made the connection between roast chicken and the hens. Non of the other dogs have ever done this, but Logan drools when he gets near their pen.

I remember reading in an shooting times that a good way to test you dogs intelligence was to take the dog upstairs and throw its favourite toy/ball out of the window, if if barked at the window it was normal and if it ran downstairs and out the open door it was intelligent,

I remember reading in an shooting times that a good way to test you dogs intelligence was to take the dog upstairs and throw its favourite toy/ball out of the window, if if barked at the window it was normal and if it ran downstairs and out the open door it was intelligent,

And if it jumped out the upper window to get it then it was dead stupid :)

One of our collies drops her ball out of one of our upstairs windows when it is open then sits at the door wining to be let out to get it. When she comes back in she's straight back up to the open window and does it all over again. If you leave the door open she does it for around two hours before she gets bored. We cant decide if its intelligence or stupidity.

good point perhaps a case for living in a bungalow :hmm:

One of our collies drops her ball out of one of our upstairs windows when it is open then sits at the door wining to be let out to get it. When she comes back in she's straight back up to the open window and does it all over again. If you leave the door open she does it for around two hours before she gets bored. We cant decide if its intelligence or stupidity.

sounds like intelligence . does she ever catch it, sounds like a great way to exercise

There were half a dozen six month old bottle lambs in a home paddock which borders the orchard on one side. While taking three spaniels for a walk I found myself in the middle of the paddock not paying much attention to anything at all. Lovely day, no worries, mind in neutral, the usual score. The reverie was broken by the sight of a spaniel going flat out being pursued by a couple of lambs. Quick scan of the paddock reveals the other two dogs under similar pressure and heading for cover. This was all very amusing but a bit odd so I watched the lambs for a few days, finally surmising that the lambs were getting themselves drunk on fallen damsons. One of them managed to scramble over a five bar gate while under the influence, which is more than I can do. Intelligent, or not, those sheep certainly knew how to enjoy themselves.