Lab pup

digger

would be gratefull for any advice re the following.I have a 5 month old choc lab who is 90% house trained,walks to heel off the lead not on it.She retrieves to hand and sits and stays before being sent for a retrieve.the problem i have is the last 10% of house training and she is slow to the recall.i am not expecting miracles as she is still a pup and very biddable.one thing that does concern me is that though she is hip scored my vet warned me against too much exercise before she is 18 months old as this may be damaging.this was after she had been checked by the vet.was told there is no problem with her hips so is this fact or rubbish ? any advice will be gratefully recieved

Digger:

Hip scoring tells you if the dog has good hips from a hereditary standpoint. There are however two types of hip dysplasia hereditary, and enviromental. Enviromental usually occures in pups that have been brought up on lynolium, where they slide around with out good footing, and in pups that have joggers for owners. Do not run your puppy on pavement, slippery surfaces, or on stairs and you will avoid these problems. As well do not jog with your pup until it is atleast a year old.

House breaking problems can drive you insane. First off because this is a bitch pup have her checked for a urinary or bladder infection. Bitches are nutorius for it as they squat to pee, many of them will squat too low into the dirt, picking up whatever bacteria is about. If this is not the case then at 5 months it sounds as if she is being lazy. Go through the normal house breaking routine, putting her out: when she wakes up, after she eats, after she plays and every hour in between. Also crate her at night and when you are not at home. If she still messes in the house scold her with a load NO' BAD PUPPY, pick her up by the scruff of the neck and place her outside. Watch her do her business and praise her when she goes, bring her back in and pet her up, telling her she is a good girl. This should turn your problem around in short order.

As for the obediance problems I would suggest you follow the program that is pinned at the top of the forum. Start it at the beginning and work through, and I am confident you will have a well mannered dog. Remember if you cant control them at 3 feet you cant control them at 60 yards.

I must agree with YP as well. Cut back on the training of formal retrieves, she is too young for any great amount of pressure in this area. If you want to continue with the formals have her do 1 to every 6 fun retreives. You dont want to burn her out.

Keep it Fun.....NTTF

i agree entirely with both replies ,and would add to the point of lifting out of the car . i had a lab pup a few years ago . i let it jump out of the car ,several visits to the vets and x rays later , luckily only minor tissue damage and has since made a cracking dog. but lesson learnt. .......dont rush the dog let it develop before working it too hard and dont rush it , concentrate on the basics