Best BBQ

yates

Slightly off topic but as we have outdoor cooking people here I'll ask.

Friend of mine has suggested I take a deer round to him to spit roast (to cook, not the other...)

I have always assumed that as the meat is so lean this probably won't work that well?

It can work. The magic of spit roasting is that it is self basting - so less likely to dry out, but you have less leeway compared to lamb or pork which has more fat.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic but as we have outdoor cooking people here I'll ask.

Friend of mine has suggested I take a deer round to him to spit roast (to cook, not the other...)

I have always assumed that as the meat is so lean this probably won't work that well?

Not for the BBQ but I have changed my venison cooking to stop earlier dryness problems. The answer seems to be to wind up the heat to the max (240 Deg C in my case) and cook a munti haunch for about 40 mins then foil wrap for half hour. I've never had any venison so moist.

Backstrap is similar but 12 minutes at full welly in the oven.

Is 140 for 4 hours about right?

Hmm. Depends on the weight of the joint of course. Can't really apply the four hour thing unless I know how big it is, but technically yes any sized piece of pork will cook nicely at 140 (or even 120) if left long enough. Have you got something specific in mind? PM or email me if you have.

Not for the BBQ but I have changed my venison cooking to stop earlier dryness problems. The answer seems to be to wind up the heat to the max (240 Deg C in my case) and cook a munti haunch for about 40 mins then foil wrap for half hour. I've never had any venison so moist.

Backstrap is similar but 12 minutes at full welly in the oven.

On the subject of venison I find that less (time) and more (heat) is more. Then wrap in foil and rest it. Use the juices for a sauce or gravy.

Was it a bit like the above?

What times work for Roe haunch do you recon? My times work for Munti but not tried this for Roe as yet

Now i am dribbling :good:

I had you down more as a drooler Rob ;)

I love venison, got some CWD at the Cotswolds do from Colin and Lee (first time I ever tried it) and it was superb.

I think people by default tend to overcook some game. All the venison I've eaten recently definitely lent itself to fairly quick cooking.

Was it a bit like the above?

What times work for Roe haunch do you recon? My times work for Munti but not tried this for Roe as yet

Yes, it was more or less. Never done a Roe haunch, just a Fallow. Can't remember what that timing was to be honest. Just work out the weight difference, you won't go far wrong I would say.

Edited by Thunderbird

The Green Egg BBQs are supposed to be out of this world. However, I struggled with the £1,300-odd cost and went with a Weber charcoal.

My cousins in Australia have one and they are amazing but also expensive,they apparently have space shuttle 'stuff' on them for heat retention,anyone than can afford one should google them.

We are in the process of deciding which Green Egg to go for. I would love to know if anyone on here already has one? If so what do they think, as I don't want to be wasting my money on it. It was highly recommended to me by a Michelin star chef who swears by it!!

We are in the process of deciding which Green Egg to go for. I would love to know if anyone on here already has one? If so what do they think, as I don't want to be wasting my money on it. It was highly recommended to me by a Michelin star chef who swears by it!!

Check out the British BBQ Society Forums, or their facebook forum pages - http://www.bbbqs.com/Forum- lots of good advice to be had there.There are also alternative ceramic BBQ's - Kamado Joe is a popular one.

I've done roast chicken in a bbq loads of times, but again, this is a hood-down roasting job, not just putting raw meat over a hot flame like so many people do. I know it appeals to some but that isn't real bbq-ing IMO.

Slow cooked ribs are great IN (not ON) a bbq too, as is a nice leg of pork, brilliant crackling.

Agreed. I cook fillet steak too.

I light the coals and move them around until they're all white, then push them to one side of my kettle BBQ ( Dancook ). I place the meat on the other side and put the lid on. Fat does not fall onto the coals, so I avoid having burned outer and raw inner.