Pulled over by police, again!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the easiest thing to do is to recored every thing that is happening when you are stopped. Just remember to inform him that he is being recorded.

Why bother telling him?you will be in a public place,no law stopping you taking photos or video.

It's not your word against his.

It's fact. He stopped you, he searched your car and he `confiscated` your cartridges. He can't deny that.

I wouldn't go down the harrassment route as he will argue he had a lawful reason to stop you and it's too greater time gap. That isn't really the issue.

You've had 2 very good pieces of advice from people in the job. I'd follow it, not just for your own protection but for every other shooting person who this copper may come into contact with.

I know it's going to take time and effort on your part but surely it's worth it?

Couple of quick questions:

Did he give you a copy of the search record? (assuming he filled one out)

What did he say was the correct procedure for collecting them?

The usual caveat is that you've not omitted anything from your original post and he is just being awakward, exceeding his lawful powers and allowing his personal views to influence what he does.

Please follow it up for the sake of everybody else.

Anyone can posses shotgun cartridges even with no licence , I would collect them and ask to speak to one of his superiours .

I would go and collect the cartridges and ask to speak to the desk sergeant. I would relay the situation in a calm manner and clearly state the law in that you had every legal right to possess and carry the cartridges and the police officer had no right to remove them.

If you meet mr plod again ask for ID which will give you name and number - respond to his questions in a polite manner but follow up with the desk sergeant if you feel you are being picked on.

Most police officers are good blokes but you get the odd one which is an ***

I done exactly what you guys suggested I should do.

Went down to the station early in the morning and asked to see the Sargent or who ever is higher, he came out spoke to him etc he agreed about my concerns and suggested I put it all down on paper there and then and make a formal complaint.

I received an apology from him on behalf of the officer involved, received my carts and yes he shouldn't have taken them.

Said I shall hear from them in due course on what is happening with the case etc

The Sargent is making a big thing of this.

Thanks for all who has replied

I shall let you guys know

Well done. We need to stick up for ourselves with police that think they are above the rules / law etc.

With the Sgt making a big deal of it and suggesting a formal complaint I wouldn't be surprised if the copper in question is a total **** and isn't liked much in the station either!!

I'm also very glad to see you followed this up ;)

Please do let us know the outcome.

I personally have only ever experinced common sense with the police. (I'm supprised as well!)

In fact I have on numerous occasions traveled across London on the trains with a SG in a gun bag (it was ovbious what it was). I consulted my FEO before the first time I ever did I case there was some kind of 'bylaw' for London public transport! He said "in a bag, no problem, I'd reccomend you take your ticket"

I have never been stopped in London for it. The only time I have been asked is by the public. And they are normally just interested, or country folk themselves who see a common interest.

But as stated above I would not think twice about correcting a miss informed copped on gun law. Because let's face it, I'm kosha, everything is in order and we know more about gun law than them!

Isn't taking something that is legally yours theft? I would also want to know why he wanted to know about my cars contents-did he have reason to believe you were committing an offence? If so what offence? Can he state the law in question? Don't let him get away with it-make them bring the shells back or send a courier and let them pay.

Generally speaking theft requires an intention to permanently deprive the rightful owner of his property, if he handed it in to the evidence locker or what ever at the station (which he did) then that's not satisfied. Probably much more complicated when dealing with Police Officers as obviously they seize lots of illegal things they never intend to return. The only reason he couldn't stop and search a car would be if he based his decision to do so purely race/religion. The consensus on here seems to be that you don't need a cert to possess the carts. However you do need one to buy them and therefore at a push for a loophole the officer in question may say he took the carts because he thought they had been bought/obtained illegally I.E by someone who didn't have a licence. Anyway, I'm only speculating, well done OP for reporting it and I look forward to hearing the outcome.

Edited by OJW

The officer would have been able to find out all the information he needed at the time via his radio and PNC. He would have been able to verify that the OP was a cert holder, not a prohibited person to posess the cartridges . He did not have to sieze them.

I was told the same as Ozzy said when I was waiting for my FAC to come back as I had a shotgun cert already and the firearms officer took my shotgun cert awaiting a co-min cert (I was not happy about it but wanted my FAC) and he stated my shotgun cert was still live until new cert issued and if stopped the officer was able to access all my details asap and therefore not a problem providing I had not committed an offence. Only down side unable to buy cartridges there answer get a good friend with cert to buy them for me.

The officer would have been able to find out all the information he needed at the time via his radio and PNC. He would have been able to verify that the OP was a cert holder, not a prohibited person to posess the cartridges . He did not have to sieze them.

Thing is, you don't need a licence to hold the shotgun cartridges.

The officer had previously ascertained the OP had a certificate I believe - and ought to have had a good reason to doubt it was still valid before getting so bolshie

He pulled me last year and because I didn't have my docs on me he threatened to take my gun etc

When he left me his last words was get your paperwork in order.

So because I didn't have my docs again but no gun he took the carts instead, thinking it was his legal duty, oh how wrong he was.

Edited by Rst1990

With the Sgt making a big deal of it and suggesting a formal complaint I wouldn't be surprised if the copper in question is a total **** and isn't liked much in the station either!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sergeant didn't actually care either way but saw the chance to gather evidence of dealing with a complaint purely to assist in a future or ongoing promotion process....