Dripping ceramic disc kitchen mixer tap - can they be repaired?

malkiserow

The ceramic discs don't often cause the drip, its the pressure washer that's underneath. Some good merchants stock the pressure washers but you'll have to take the insert with you.

Or you can buy a whole new insert but I priced some up for a customer and 2 inserts came to 60quid from bristan!

You can pack the pressure washer with ptfe for a temp fix, it might last a few weeks.

We just put a whole new tap in.

It is sometimes the closed position of the tap that is the problem whereby the ceramics disc does not seal on the housing.

Try Tap Magician online , they have a whole range of replacement valves and individual items. You need to take out the old valve to measure quite accurately the valve dimensions as there are many variants if you are lucky a QB53 (seems common) will fit at about £19 a pair delivered in a few days

• 5 years later...

I have had 100% success in stopping 2 pairs of taps from dripping. Remove the ceramic cartridges from the taps and immerse

them in a strong solution of Descaler. I used 2 sachets of "Oust" all purpose. Put in a small container, put the cartridges in and add boiling water to completely immerse for about 2 hours. Open and close the valves periodically to ensure max saturation. Dismantle if you can and add all the bits. Suggest you wear rubber gloves for this as it is very irritant. Rinse in clean water and re-assemble. It worked for me.

Barry

As other plumbers have said they are a pain, only one option that is to replace the complete tap body which holds the ceramic inserts.   Beware the industry did not see fit to standardise the splines on these so when you go to purchase  replacements make sure you take an existing tap head.   It used to be tap washer 10p   now new ceramic body £10 +

Blackpowder

2 hours ago, Barry the Plumber said:

I have had 100% success in stopping 2 pairs of taps from dripping. Remove the ceramic cartridges from the taps and immerse

them in a strong solution of Descaler. I used 2 sachets of "Oust" all purpose. Put in a small container, put the cartridges in and add boiling water to completely immerse for about 2 hours. Open and close the valves periodically to ensure max saturation. Dismantle if you can and add all the bits. Suggest you wear rubber gloves for this as it is very irritant. Rinse in clean water and re-assemble. It worked for me.

Barry

In some areas it would be cheaper to replace a tap than have a plumber sitting in his van reading the paper for 2 hours - just sayin