• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learnt that one years ago. When I first mentioned it here folk thought I was potty!

A sub bullet is not silent. It draws a line to the shooter forany critter with good hearing. A crack does often confuse yes.

This is also my experience. I took out 2 former shooters and shot 3 pairs of rabbits all within 150 metres of each other. The 2 people with me actually said 'why didn't the second rabbit run when the first was hit?' & 'Are the rabbits here stupid?'

No, they were just confused so sat tight for a moment too long. This is another reason Ilike the hmr.

Dave (telf) Those Mach 2's are also necked down - do you ever see any split cases? We never hear of them but they are a lot rarer I s'pose.

It happens

I have both and the M2 still has occasional split neck issues with some ammo (mostly CCI that I have ever bought)

doesn't seem to produce the same issues of squibs or poor MV rounds but then thats a volume thing

One advantage I find with a .17HMR is that on my permissions I often get a 2nd shot off much more so than with LR and FAC air. I think its because the crack is multidirectional masking the sound of the hit and the rabbits get confused so sit tight when their mate gets hit allowing a 2nd shot. This also applies when I miss as well :lol: .

With the quiet LR and FAC air the thump of the round hitting home makes them leg it straight off.

I've taken out 4 rabbits one after another all within a 12ft circle but usually the crack sends everything flying- I did wonder as you say if it confused them. The crack can also send far afield cattle and sheep flying which in turn scares off rabbits- that said- I wouldn't swap mine for a .22lr

You only get away with it once or twice! Eventually they just run what ever the sound and or they see anything human form!

It only ever gets harder, never easier!

This is true on my main perm before I started the farmer blatted the odd one with his .17HMR and now you cant get within 60 yards of any of them unless your ambushing or its a night with night vision

right o peeps can I have your thoughts on .17hmr please.......

at the min I am really undecided to go for one or not quite a few of the people I have spoke to about are against for a array of reasons ..ie prone to faulty ammo blocking barrel etc due to the cci manufacturing process [ apparently cci are the only manufacturers of the cases regardless of which company loads/sels the ammo] a couple have said not a very good round in light wind ?? ...ammo pricey for what it is ?? some say that a few rifles are based on .22lr mechanisms which are not suitable for the increased pressure ??

and other reasons I cant remember .

I was toying with getting one for longer range rabbits crows etc

so can the nice people of PW put their opinions forward to try and clear the mud

thanks in advance

hodge

Whatever else you want to say about HMR that is BS. .22lr are way stronger than most centrefire rifles in relation to their metalwork and % pressure exerted by .22, and will easily handle HMR pressures.

If you mean it is a .22lr blank, and then cut to HMR it will actually be stronger as the breech and barrel bore is smaller.

Edited by Dekers

Whatever else you want to say about HMR that is BS. .22lr are way stronger than most centrefire rifles in relation to their metalwork and % pressure exerted by .22, and will easily handle HMR pressures.

If you mean it is a .22lr blank, and then cut to HMR it will actually be stronger as the breech and barrel bore is smaller.

well I think you better take that up with the guy from sporting gun june2015 edition as I have just been given this months copy to read by a friend as it has a write up on the 17hmr and he brings that up about pressure issues as mentioned by some one to me a while back .............so either you are wrong or both of them are wrong ................. or its an urban myth lol

Edited by hodge911

pressure issues were brought up by US magazines some time ago which is one of the reasons they dont make semi autos in either

http://www.rrdvegas.com/17-mach-ii.html

Trouble Brewing

The truth was there were a few real causes behind the swirl of rumors, and many of them quite tangible.

The first was an unexpected surprise to the firearms industry finding out it was not possible to make any pistol or rifle safely and reliably function as a semi-automatic when switched over to a 17 Mach 2. It seemed as if the pressure curve was too tricky for a basic blow-back recoil system to manage, and rather than deal with upset customers, blown-up magazines, and miserable warranty repair work, the major players in the firearms industry killed off any idea of a mass-produced semi-auto platforms.

This wasn’t a random occurrence, but rather a good number of shooters were taken by surprise when their 17 Mach 2’s based on Ruger 10/22 platforms suddenly exploded out the magazine well, shattering the plastic magazine, and in many cases, getting a bullet stuck half-way down the barrel.

A lot of that could be due to hard cases! As some one mentioned, Fister I think, annealing the now primed case is impossible after necking down.

A blow back design of automatic needs the case to swell and grip the chamber wall at peak pressure. If the case is too hard it wont grip the chamber !