Jehovas Witness`s - How to stop them knocking.

Salop Matt

I find it hard to believe half of what is written here regarding the way they would, or do, treat JWs'

If people are so rude and they still come back it just shows what dedicated people they are and as far as I am concerened there is nothing wrong with that.

I have discussed certain aspects of their belief and my interpretation of the Bible with them on occassions but I would never be rude.

I was brought up to treat others as you would like them to treat you and in most cases it repays itself in dividends.

Or as some say 'what goes round comes round' not quite sure I understand that but I think I have the gist of it and it seems similar to my beliefs.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just politely stop their rhetoric, say that my wife is the religious one, and more than happy with her faith, I'm an atheist, and more than happy with my lack of faith, but since you're walking around trying to help people find something you think is a good thing, would you like a glass of water or to use the facilities?

No point being rude, they're trying to save your soul, I just don't believe I have a soul,so I'm kind of barren ground for their superstition.

Edited by tx4cabbie

I find it hard to believe half of what is written here regarding the way they would, or do, treat JWs'

If people are so rude and they still come back it just shows what dedicated people they are and as far as I am concerened there is nothing wrong with that.

I have discussed certain aspects of their belief and my interpretation of the Bible with them on occassions but I would never be rude.

I was brought up to treat others as you would like them to treat you and in most cases it repays itself in dividends.

Or as some say 'what goes round comes round' not quite sure I understand that but I think I have the gist of it and it seems similar to my beliefs.

I agree with treating others as you would be treated. I assumed that is why they wanted religious views thrust up on them relentlesly as that's what they do to others.

I can quite agree with the above but also much of that below.

It is the endless repetition I can grow to resent because they have been told ( much more politely than my dear old Dad did ) some time ago I'm not interesed, but they continue to knock. I have no doubt that they would resent it also if I called round to their house as often as they call at mine to try and impress on them my beliefs in the hope of recruiting them to my cause.

I agree with treating others as you would be treated. I assumed that is why they wanted religious views thrust up on them relentlesly as that's what they do to others.

In my experience they don't try to thrust anything upon anybody, they have always been courteous and polite and made it clear what they wanted to talk about. I say i'm not interested and they go away, no hard sell or anything like that.

I find that doorstep charity collectors are far more persistent and assertive in their approach.

Sure it can be annoying having someone chap at the door if you are doing something else, but i try not to let 20 seconds of interruption spoil my day or my mood.

I can quite agree with the above but also much of that below.

It is the endless repetition I can grow to resent because they have been told ( much more politely than my dear old Dad did ) some time ago I'm not interesed, but they continue to knock. I have no doubt that they would resent it also if I called round to their house as often as they call at mine to try and impress on them my beliefs in the hope of recruiting them to my cause.

I have not had that experience and if as in the case of the OP and you it was repeated visits then my patience would likely be rather more brittle than normal.

I invited mormons in for a beer once before whilst watching football, one of them was going to accept, but the senior one politely declined.

In my experience they don't try to thrust anything upon anybody, they have always been courteous and polite and made it clear what they wanted to talk about. I say i'm not interested and they go away, no hard sell or anything like that.

I find that doorstep charity collectors are far more persistent and assertive in their approach.

Sure it can be annoying having someone chap at the door if you are doing something else, but i try not to let 20 seconds of interruption spoil my day or my mood.

Me and you have had quite different experiences I'm afraid. I called the police on them last year when my son opened the door and they preceded to tell him he was going to be sent to hell for eternity. He was 8 years old. I told them to go away in choice words as soon as I got to the door and found him sobbing. They would leave and persisted to shout through the letterbox.

Now tell me that is acceptable preaching. No one should be preached at on their own doorstep.

Me and you have had quite different experiences I'm afraid. I called the police on them last year when my son opened the door and they preceded to tell him he was going to be sent to hell for eternity. He was 8 years old. I told them to go away in choice words as soon as I got to the door and found him sobbing. They would leave and persisted to shout through the letterbox.

Now tell me that is acceptable preaching. No one should be preached at on their own doorstep.

That is far from acceptable and I would absolutely understand and support your anger at such an approach, I really hope that you saw an isolated bad example.

One thing i dont really get with them knocking on the door is that i thought it is said that you shouldn't force religion onto others, think the good book says this.. So i just say that to them politely.

If you like you could just ask them to find the motorbike in the Bible. There is one in there.

carman ,

i would respectfully like to ask,

did this really happen ?.

were they jw ?.

my understanding is that jw dont believe in hell , i certainly couldnt see any jw that ive ever met , upsetting a child in this way , or , shouting through a letterbox.

you have my sympathy if this really did happen to your son.

A good friends dad is the head Jedi type person locally. My friend isn't a Jedi herself, she left the faith 30 years ago and it wasn't taken well, her family disowned her until the gran kids came along. After they softened a bit we all got to know them quite well and they are really nice folks, they don't mention any faith or religion to us at all. They often drop in to my mums place to chat, they know she's my mum and not that religious ( she says she's all prayed out after hitler done his best when she was a kid ), but they are happy to just chat for a few hours. Personally I'd rather they are there showing interest than some chavvy scrote with bad intentions.

I have not had that experience and if as in the case of the OP and you it was repeated visits then my patience would likely be rather more brittle than normal.

I invited mormons in for a beer once before whilst watching football, one of them was going to accept, but the senior one politely declined.

I can't say I get angry, it's just annoying if I'm in the middle of something and go to the door simply to find it's them......again. I don't answer the door anymore, but it can still be tiresome at times.

carman ,

i would respectfully like to ask,

did this really happen ?.

were they jw ?.

my understanding is that jw dont believe in hell , i certainly couldnt see any jw that ive ever met , upsetting a child in this way , or , shouting through a letterbox.

you have my sympathy if this really did happen to your son.

Unfortunately yes this did happen. They left before the police turned up. The police were very busy apparently. They drove round and couldn't find them but it was about 45 min after they left. The only way we know it was JW was based on the leaflet they rammed through the letterbox whilst shouting. We put one of those signs mentioned above after that and it states this includes religious groups too at the bottom.

I personally have no religious beliefs and am quite happy I can survive each day knowing I don't have to believe in something. I don't really care about people's religious views. I do however hate when people think that they should tell me why their religion is right. We even had a group knock on the door the week before the elections and first thing they said was what do you think about the up coming elections. My wife said your all a bunch of liars so not a lot to which they said oh no were not politicians were from the reform church can we just tell you about our book. We promptly said no thanks. They wouldn't accept that and were very pushy for about 3-5 mins before I literally had to say. Look your upsetting me now get of my land. They finally backed off.

Why should I have to go through this at my home. In a high street is different is public but my home is my sanctuary and I should not have to be subject to the mental and emotional torment of religion.

jehovahs witnesses would never do that sorry, they could not have been jehovahs, they must have been a bunch of weirdo,s

whats wrong with someone preaching the religion they believe in ,

cranfield hit the nail on the head and so has melb also,

just be polite , its not hard

Out walking the dog the other evening and two blokes on cycles were coming in the opposite direction. They stopped as they got to me and went into the JW spiel. Told them I wasn't interested and they asked if I knew anyone they could talk to, I said my friend Milo was a good listener they then asked where they might find him. I pointed to the other end of the lead I was holding. They weren't English, sounded a bit Eastern European.

I have one of the signs on my door that tells people not to bother me,

In general it works,

I have had the occasional one still knock but when I've answered they have apologised and said they didn't see the notice and just left.

Charity people are the worst

:shaun:

If they come during the shooting/fowling season then they are told to go away because I'm just off to the local atheists meeting.

Out of season they are invited in and offered tea and biscuits. This is sport of the second best kind.

At this point The Memsahib makes her excuses and vanishes upstairs.

Having got the tea mugs out and the biccies unwrapped I place my copy of the Koran on the table too.

The sport is just watching their faces and listening to the way the conversation changes.

Then follow it up with The God Delusion by Dawson. This is always a show stopper.

They don't come so often these days...

Edited by Grandalf

One knocked on the door of an elderly widow just a couple of doors away. She told him to come in, which he did after wiping his feet on the doormat.

She showed him into the the living room and told him to take off his coat which she hung at the bottom of the stairs, then told him to sit down on the sofa and make himself at home while she put the kettle on.

He nervously sat down and placed his briefcase on the floor beside him.

It wasn't long before she reappeared with a tray containing a teapot and two cups and some chocolate biscuits, placed it on the table and then said: 'Now, young man, what's this all about?' as she poured them each a cup.

'Erm, I don't know actually', he stammered. 'I've never got this far before'.

:) The old ones are the best.

strangely enough , my window cleaner , sam , (a jw and a damned decent and hardworking chap from a lovely family) has sat on my back yard having a brew and a chat many times , while ive , cleaned guns , skinned , rabbits , deer , de breasted pigeons etc .

were both very different people with very different ideas , but , we still manage to get along .

gclark was right about cranfields solution , if they call often enough to become a nuisance , just have a polite word at the local kingdom hall.

I don't know why but a lot of JWs are window cleaners. I suppose its the sort of job where you can pick your hours. They don't bother me, I just thank them for calling and they go away but living in a very Jewish part of London we don't get many

Edited by Vince Green