24g Cartridges

MITCHF

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the F blacks fine i chose them for the low recoil but a cracking cart only thing is i don't tend to really smoke many clays but do get get good breaks (probably me more than the gun) the Fblacks use a different powder to Fblues but are very similar on paper.

I don't rate compX tbh although very soft, intercomp were nice to shoot but pricey and felt slow, although i probably shot better with that one slab than several slabs of Fblacks..... (hmmm might try another slab if i see some)

Intercomp i haven't seen locally, but i can get Fiocchi easily, gone off eley (infact sold the last 3 slabs i had to buy Fblacks)

Edited by HDAV

cheddite 24 or 21 gram brill

Cheddite Universal Trap 21gms are very thumpy, I was given a box to try and was amazed how much recoil they had, the 24gm are softer to shoot according to my body.

But the 24gm Oro Trap are very very soft to shoot.

I'm currently using Cheddite Trap Oro 24g 7.5's, following an Op I also wanted something with less recoil - the Trap Oro's were recommended & they certainly do the business on the DTL ;)

They're also good through my Xcel for Pigeons !!

Pretty much all 24g loads will be softer compared to most 28g loads, it all depends how much recoil reduction you're after and how much you're prepared to spend. Have you for instance done anything to the gun itself ? If you're currently using a field weight gun you'll notice a good difference just swapping over to a clay spec 8.5 lbs gun with a decent recoil pad such as Sorbothane or RecoilSystems Green pad.

If you already have a heavy clay gun, does it have a hard plastic butt plate or a plain hard rubber pad ? A good pad is a must in my opinion but installing an actual recoil reducer will make even punchy 28g loads seem much softer.

In short installing a full house Isis reducer plus a decent pad will surprise you in recoil reduction.

As for cartridges try and get one which is available in English 8's (like Gamebore Evo's) because that way you'll avoid losing too much pattern density. The Hull CompX 28g loads are really soft too but prolly only any good for soft layouts because the new batches are definitely slow, I watched a second person shooting them on Sunday and assumed they were sub sonics before he revealed his secret.

8.5lb clay gun

Isis green pad.

Rubber comb.

Recoil pad in vest.

......all in place

24g next or go SA

I've always been susceptible to gun headaches hence using every trick in the book but luckily shoulder seems impervious to thumps, must say I don't envy people with any sort of recoil problem. It sounds like a move to 24/21 is going to be a good move.

ps. I recently had a good few hundred through a friends A400 complete with reducer in the butt and have to say it was absolutely superb in the recoil reduction department, so might be worth investigating. Ultimately I couldn't score as high with it as my O/U but if needs really must.

Edited by Hamster

I used to use Comp X 24g until they stopped making them so I switched to 21g Comp X

This was after I had shoulder problems,

Thankfully all healed up now so I switched back to 28g Gamebore Velocity.

Superfast I just find too punchy, even now

:shaun:

Guest cookoff013

24g international loads are motoring some at 1350-1450fps.

on the last olympics they cut open the competitors shells to analyse the weight and shotsize. they came back 24g #9 all televised. that was for double trap.

as an aside you may want to try 24g #9 for sporting and they generally are very good. my experience is with homeloads and or RC2. that was a shell i tried to copy.

if you want low recoil just go for these

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/subsonic.htm

there is no lower recoil apart from using the 20gauge equivalent. i did 21g subsonics as well as 28g and 32g and more... but there is negligible recoil with 24g subsonics and 21g subsonics. if you cant handle these.

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/subsonic.htm

the misconception that 28g have more recoil than 24g loads is just a fad. at the same speeds yep its true, but if you have the set model of 24g at 1450fps vs 28g at 1200fps then the 24g load will kick more.the test barrels have a n/s recoil sensor on them... speed really makes it kick.

in the uk we have access to subs, they are trainer loads, but in the states most of there shells (*not steel) run at 1200fps. only in europe we are obsessed with the speed.

the 28g subsonics. have 8n/s of recoil, 32g have 9n/s (i know i have solid test data).

the 24g 1350fps have 10n/s recoil.

the 28g fast loads have about "i guessed" 11-12n/s

my evaluation is that some people never understand shells and make bad decisions, either by the bad information they are presented by manufacturers or bad information presented by them by "some guy down the pub".

if you want low recoil, go subsonics, they do not lack in performance, i`ve shot 32g #6 at 50yard clays, they just needed time to workout the lead distance.

i`ve rarely used my 28gram subsonics, but that was for a associate of mine.

now these numbers mean nothing to the sporting shooter,

low recoil = any subsonics

for me lots of shot = good

slow shot = good.

big shot = very good (7.5 clays)

currently i`ve been using 24g #9s at 1400fps but i go between different shells.

I use Gamebore Evo 24g and more often the Hull InterComp HV 24g - both good and not at all slow.

After Sian`s recommendation on these Ive given these ago in 28gram and got my PB with them.

How ever after next saturdays Jack Pyke shoot I may try the 24gram vertion also and see how i get on with them too.

I just need to find a supplier of them .

28gram currently cost me:

• 250 - £46
  • 500 - £96
  • 1000- £184

8.5lb clay gun

Isis green pad.

Rubber comb.

Recoil pad in vest.

......all in place

24g next or go SA

I'm similar Trapgun

Isis Xpad

standard comb (for now)

recoil pad in jacket (not sure if it does much now i have the Xpad)

24g Fblacks........ 50-100 doesn't cause me an issue now

Cant shoot a semi hate the action cycling sound/feeling,

Rather than a semi an Isis recoil system or Danuser or a FPS stock (look for a used one) are a good alternative

Fingers crossed HDAV , it's four weeks since the op, another 6 weeks and I should be ready to take few shots. Then I'lll know if I have to go down the recoiling stock or SA. Hopefully not :-)

Edited by MITCHF

Have you ever thought of trying a beretta gas gun with the kick off system . I suffer from an old war wound any any sustained shooting is painful . The beretta lets Me shoot all day with out any problems what so ever . 32 gram loads only give a slight push in the shoulder . Smoothest gun I have ever shot. You would be able to handle 28 gram loads all day Long .

Harnser