Question for HW100 owners

Sha Bu Le

I'd reply along the lines of ....

Thank you for your email of ...... however, I have already contacted Hull CC who have informed me they cannot assist. I am now stuck with one of your guns, an HW100, which is unsafe and un-shootable. My "understanding" is now turning to regret. As a customer of a current model, I politely request you supply me with spare part I need to make the gun safe to shoot again.

Or, does this mean that I now need to purchase an inferior and overpriced Daystate? At least when Daystates breakdown you can get them fixed every 6 months. Is this some sort of payback for 1966 or for 21 years earlier? SBL you may need to edit the odd bit !!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooo I like it Malk. May need to take the "21 years earlier" out. Could be PC incorrect, not that I care but don't think it will get me the bit I need.

Edit = taken you up on your suggestion and also sent all of the correspondence to the service department in the hope that they will be more amenable.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

My friend in Germany was refused sears yesterday, Weihrauchs reason being there were too many complaints from people who had bought sears in the past and a special tool was needed !!! So now they only supply complete trigger assemblies.

What a load of absolute garbage, they are more likely to get complaints from people who need trigger parts and have to spend £115+ on a complete new assembly for the sake of a piece of metal costing a couple of pounds to make.

Still waiting for a reply to my second email to Weihrauch.

Hi Sha got the exact same problem with sons hw100 don't expect any joy from service dept I emailed them and got the same generic reply word for word, I wonder how many times they have sent that email out. so I'm not a happy camper just thinking how to word my reply email to them ? do like the suggestion above though. pretty much resigned to the fact i'll have to buy the complete trigger so I've done being polite any further suggestions lads?

Atb Simon.

although I think the hw100 is an excellent heavy rifle I have now thought what you could both do,,,,

buy a Daystate rifle, at least then IF ( which I doubt ) it did go wrong then being British and with their excellent aftersales you would easily be able to sort it,

malkiserow is someone whom wants to own a daystate because he knows the HW is not a superior rifle but cant bring himself to buy one due to being slated on here for going back on his word,

its no good replying to the germans because they have given you their answer,

if I was either of you I would buy the trigger assembly and just get shut of the rifle, then take a trip down to the DAYSTATE factory and go and handle some properly built rifles ,

hopefully by then you will both realise buying foreign guns is not always a good idea, especially cheap heavy German ones

:whistling::whistling: :whistling: :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::good:

Husky if I don't get a positive reply from WR by midweek I'm going to trek around or phone some local engineering companies who do one offs or very small batchest. Don't know what it will cost but think it must be cheaper than a full unit.

One other possibility is a US company called Shapeways, They are not an air gun company but in their list of products is the middle sear we are looking for. Not at all sure about this though as the company are a 3D printing firm, also uncertain about the metals used, stainless steel "infused with zinc" The other thing is they don't appear to have sold any so there are no reviews. Goggle Shapeways then do a search on their web site for HW100 middle sear, and there it is, however it is a digital image and not the actual product.

Goggled 3D printing and looked at some commercial / industrial firms doing this, I was impressed with the technology. Have a look on goggle, see what you think.

I would prefer to have one made from case hardened steel by traditional methods but its down to if someone will do it and what the cost is.

The sear from Shapeways is around £26 delivered from the states = there may be duty and vat once it gets here.

Will report when I have something to report.

Cheers

Bri

although I think the hw100 is an excellent heavy rifle I have now thought what you could both do,,,,

buy a Daystate rifle, at least then IF ( which I doubt ) it did go wrong then being British and with their excellent aftersales you would easily be able to sort it,

malkiserow is someone whom wants to own a daystate because he knows the HW is not a superior rifle but cant bring himself to buy one due to being slated on here for going back on his word,

if I was either of you I would buy the trigger assembly and just get shut of the rifle, then take a trip down to the DAYSTATE factory and go and handle some properly built rifles ,

hopefully by then you will both realise buying foreign guns is not always a good idea, especially cheap heavy German ones

:whistling::whistling: :whistling: :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::good:

You having a nothing to do Sunday Evo :hmm:

Actually, and for the record, I'd try any air rifle. I do like the HW for the very simple reason that kids cannot double load it.

I'd be happy to shoot a daystate.

For my own use I really like my trusty Feinwerkbau. Despite offers, it is not for sale and never will be.

I was playing with an AA S400 last night which was very nice to use and gave very good groupings. ....... Not quite as good as the HW100.

I want an FAC air rifle and will have a slot shortly for one. This is my dilemma.........? I am wondering about the FX range with adjustable power settings but early days yet.

Hi Evo the hw100 aint my gun it's my sons I've got 3 Rapids hunter.gif.pagespeed.ce.GRvNRKGFmJ.gif wouldn't have owt else, there bombproof. can strip them in few mins with a few allen keys, like to see you fix a Daystate in the field more anti- tampers than our lasses knickers not right keen on having to fork out 150 notes to get one serviced either ( from Yorkshire were tight like that) every 6 months, my m8 just bought a Wolverine v nice gun, not for me though too over complicated their like new cars owt goes wrong you've got to go back to main dealer, that's i.ve ever heard about Daystates nice guns but when they go wrong get ready to drop your trousers n grab the KY cause it's going to be painful.

Atb Simon.

P.S who wants a AIRGUN that needs a BATTERY!!!

Actually, and for the record, I'd try any air rifle. I do like the HW for the very simple reason that kids cannot double load it.

I'd be happy to shoot a daystate.

For my own use I really like my trusty Feinwerkbau. Despite offers, it is not for sale and never will be.

I was playing with an AA S400 last night which was very nice to use and gave very good groupings. ....... Not quite as good as the HW100.

I want an FAC air rifle and will have a slot shortly for one. This is my dilemma.........? I am wondering about the FX range with adjustable power settings but early days yet.

Get a rapid great guns for FAC :good:

Husky if I don't get a positive reply from WR by midweek I'm going to trek around or phone some local engineering companies who do one offs or very small batchest. Don't know what it will cost but think it must be cheaper than a full unit.

One other possibility is a US company called Shapeways, They are not an air gun company but in their list of products is the middle sear we are looking for. Not at all sure about this though as the company are a 3D printing firm, also uncertain about the metals used, stainless steel "infused with zinc" The other thing is they don't appear to have sold any so there are no reviews. Goggle Shapeways then do a search on their web site for HW100 middle sear, and there it is, however it is a digital image and not the actual product.

Goggled 3D printing and looked at some commercial / industrial firms doing this, I was impressed with the technology. Have a look on goggle, see what you think.

I would prefer to have one made from case hardened steel by traditional methods but its down to if someone will do it and what the cost is.

The sear from Shapeways is around £26 delivered from the states = there may be duty and vat once it gets here.

Cheers

Bri

Hi Bri saw the shapeways site a bit dubious about the quality/strength I think the way to go is as you say small engineering companies I'd be more than happy to go half's on costs I need top and middle sears though, if it had to be a small batch I'm sure we could sell the surplus on flea bay I'm pretty sure there's a demand for them could be quids in pal.

atb Simon...... if this was a car they would have to recall them as it's a obvious design flaw and a potentially lethal one at that.

Cheers

Bri

Hi Bri saw the shapeways site a bit dubious about the quality/strength I think the way to go is as you say small engineering companies I'd be more than happy to go half's on costs I need top and middle sears though, if it had to be a small batch I'm sure we could sell the surplus on flea bay I'm pretty sure there's a demand for them could be quids in pal.

atb Simon...... if this was a car they would have to recall them as it's a obvious design flaw and a potentially lethal one at.

Food for thought Simon, give me a few days to recce the small engineering places.

Not been able to get a real feel for the numbers of failures, but when I get the second refusal from WR (which effectively will be the third (my friend in Germany)) I'm going to continue researching consumer laws here and in Germany, whatever I produce will be posted on the forums of which I am a member, sure there has got to be a law here somewhere about manufacturers responsibilities even after warranties have run out especially on things that can affect safety. In other countries too.

It's the equivalent of having a starter motor fail on your car and been told you have to buy a new engine.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/314499-expensive-scrap-metal/

The unspoken bit is presumably the new set from the OEM has the same wear point.

It will not be my problem up for sale as soon as it been properly fixed just bought another rapid never be another HW in my house stuff em.

just sent this to weihrauch

Thank you for your email however, I have already contacted Hull CC who have informed me they cannot assist. I am now stuck with one of your guns, an HW100, which is unsafe and un-shootable. My "understanding" is now turning to regret. As a customer of a current model, I politely request you supply me with spare parts I need to make the gun safe to shoot again. Research on the internet has shown this to be a widespread and potentially lethal problem on the hw100 if this was a car it would have to be recalled, your solution to the problem is to not only withdraw the supply of individual parts needed to rectify this potentially lethal problem not only to the general public but also to gunsmiths/shops and to cash in on the problem by only selling the complete trigger unit at 10x times the price of the individual parts required. your excuse for doing this fitting of the sears requires a special tool, it does not . I once again politely request you supply me with spare parts I need to make the gun safe to shoot again.
yours unhappy HW100 owner & BASC Member Simon.
see response I get back.

It will not be my problem up for sale as soon as it been properly fixed just bought another rapid never be another HW in my house stuff em.

Thank you for your email however, I have already contacted Hull CC who have informed me they cannot assist. I am now stuck with one of your guns, an HW100, which is unsafe and un-shootable. My "understanding" is now turning to regret. As a customer of a current model, I politely request you supply me with spare parts I need to make the gun safe to shoot again. Research on the internet has shown this to be a widespread and potentially lethal problem on the hw100 if this was a car it would have to be recalled, your solution to the problem is to not only withdraw the supply of individual parts needed to rectify this potentially lethal problem not only to the general public but also to gunsmiths/shops and to cash in on the problem by only selling the complete trigger unit at 10x times the price of the individual parts required. your excuse for doing this fitting of the sears requires a special tool, it does not . I once again politely request you supply me with spare parts I need to make the gun safe to shoot again.
see response I get back.

I like it, good luck and let us know how you get on.

its a shame as the two makes of rifle that have been the mainstay of air rifle shooting are getting slated at the moment, just glad my daystates are performing faultlessly , but it has certainly made me think again on buying a hw100,

spares for the rifles should be made available , being ripped off is not the way to go, but if it was my rifle I would get a company to make me a load of them and sell them to the guys that need them, sod the Germans as its plain for all to see they are not interested ,in my eyes customer service is most important but it seems obvious the company thinks its too big for its boots,

without good customer relations then what have they got,," a rack full of guns that wont sell "

shame on you weihrauch :no::no: :no: :no::no:

see response I get back.

Be very interested in their reply Husky, I've been around the world and back again looking for sears, absolutely none to be had (except Shapeways 3D printed one ??). Weihrauch must have starved dealers before they introduced the complete assembly only policy. It has got to be revenue motivated. Had three hard cheese (effectively) replies from WR (one via my friend in Germany).

Not been able to contact any engineering firms yet, had a bad month pennywise and next month is going to be the same. Sucks being on a pension.

Will get back as soon as.

Meanwhile got my Lightning out, it will have to suffice until I can make some headway.

ATB

Bri

Edited by Sha Bu Le

Be very interested in their reply Husky, I've been around the world and back again looking for sears, absolutely none to be had (except Shapeways 3D printed one ??). Weihrauch must have starved dealers before they introduced the complete assembly only policy. It has got to be revenue motivated. Had three hard cheese (effectively) replies from WR (one via my friend in Germany).

Not been able to contact any engineering firms yet, had a bad month pennywise and next month is going to be the same. Sucks being on a pension.

Will get back as soon as.

Meanwhile got my Lightning out, it will have to suffice until I can make some headway.

ATB

Bri

Bri, have you got a photo with some overall dimensions of the sear along with its material? and did Steve Pope have any interest in producing them?

Bri, have you got a photo with some overall dimensions of the sear along with its material? and did Steve Pope have any interest in producing them?

Sorry Simon no pics, WR do not include any thing to do with the trigger assembly in their exploded diagram.

Steve Pope could not help except to give me a couple of links to potential suppliers none of which panned out.

Overall dimensions are 4.5cm x 1.5ish. Its the shape of the things that is the problem though. Material looks to me like cased hardened carbon steel but I'm not a meta wosit.

I have the CAD programme to draw the things but since I retired no longer have the tools to measure it accurately. If I get the opportunity I'll go through to my old factory and use their gear (I used to be number 2 there for 22 years)so getting access is not a problem.

BTW you were totally correct in saying no special tool is needed WR are just BSing. All it takes is a 1.5mm allen key, gentle tap with a toffee hammer and out the pins come. Would imagine it could be fiddly but hey ho if it saves a wad then what would anyone do who can perfom an oil change on a car.

Right cut to the chase

Anyhoos I've been trying to understand the operation of all three sears for a while, on my gun I came to the conclusion the alignment of the bottom sear was rubbish. This in turn has caused premature wear of around half+ the width of the middle sear. What I also noted was that the spacers either side of the sears were inconsistent, wide on one side not so wide on the other. Then the opposite on the other sears.

This to me means potentially 1 or more of 3 possibilities, bad design, bad assembly (workmanship) or bad material. Possibly a don't give a toss attitude on WR's part as well.

Decided to try something, moved the pivot bar which the spring from the trigger sear connects to and also acts as an additional spacer on the bottomsear.

Once the spring which attaches it to the bottom sear is removed this 'pivot bar' comes out easily. Moved it from right to left hand side (ignore the slight bend in the bar)which brought the unworn part of the middle sear into play.

Put the thing back together and guess what.............it works. Gun now latches, engaging or disengaging the safety is as normal.

However the safety on second stage is so light it could be a problem, nothing I did by way of trigger adjustment made any difference, I think this is down to the combined wear of the sears.

Also I don't know how long this 'fix' will last. Given that my gun is around 4.5 years old, I have had it for 3.5 years, it had little use before I bought it. So it's taken 3.5 years to wear the thing down to failure, the remaining material may take two months or two years or a couple of hundred pellets???

Hope this helps if you decide to have a try.

ATB

Bri

Thanks for the long explanation Bri. The more I think about this the more it stinks. My guess is Weihrauch know about the problem, pulled the parts as a direct replacement and now sell a trigger set that is properly sorted. That is why we can only buy a full set.

How many pellets have you put through yours roughly?

We have a consumer protection law here about goods being fit for purpose. If a safety critical part of a gun goes wrong it is within your consumer rights to have them sort it. This is nothing to do with the guarantee. Someone will know more about it but when it is a fundamental flaw, this law kicks in. I think it is about 6 years if it is not fit for purpose.

I am wondering if this fault now falls into this category?

It might be worth finding out more about this CP law and see if it applies. I guess it falls to Hull Cartridge as they are the official importer.

What do you think?

Simon I'd be guessing but I reckon at least 5000. over 3.5 years, only 1400 odd <3tins p.a. ok call it 6500 <4 tins p.a. Still don't think its that excessive.

Yes totally agree with you re WR's knowledge of the situation.

I remember a few years back a guy had a problem with his brand new Audi A? Took it to dealer who told him the EMS had a problem and in their opinion it was down to him £600 please and we will sort it.

At the time the guy had little choice but to pay the money, got his car back after the EMS had been reprogrammed. Jeez.......anyhoos he went on the internet looking for people with the model car which had the same problem. Turns out it was a common problem and Audi covering their backs were blaming the drivers and stiffing them. Fella got his facts together and approached Audi, told them he was going to publish his findings on the internet including Audi forums unless they gave him his money back. They did and he went ahead and published once the cheque had cleared.

Could this be a similar situation with WR, in my search for sears I have come across people from USA to OZ all saying the same thing. Should have quantified it as I found them! Yes I also think WR knew about this, no problem on earlier guns only on later quick fill. They then put the 'master plan' into operation. May explain why they do not give a direct answer to questions asked. Only platitudes and rhetoric.

Going to have a goggle on UK consumer laws relating to safety issues, have tried to do it on German laws for the same thing........headache material.

Will get back if I find anything............must find something surely.

Cheers

Bri

Edited by Sha Bu Le