Can someone tell me what these screws are?

Bobby199

I am currently re- finishing the fore end of my gun. (Boiled linseed oil, and it is turning out a million times better than the spray on laquer it had before. I'll do the stock next.)

But in thanking the mechanism out of the fire end (to re blue it) I have really knarled up the screws... (They where loctited in) Can anyone tell me what they are/ where I can get new ones (as I fear the state they are in, if I put them back in I'll never get them out again)

Many Thanks,

James

[now that I have written all of this I can put the photos in... How do I do I add them?!]

Edited by Bobby199

As you can see there are lots of helpful comments to help you out of this fix.

All I can say is that it is a good job you haven't been asked to decoy pigeons of late with the promise of a red letter day. Those screws will be an essential part of your weapon.

take them into your local gunsmith....................he (i kid you not)....will have a chest full of spare "rescued screws...and might well have a couple of good replacements....take wot they screw into along as well...............

Thank you both, Spandit and welshworrior.

I do have a dremmel, but I think I'll try the pin fial first, because I'll have more controll. And when I sanded the faces off the screws this evening to get the burrs off they seemed very soft!

I do have a pair of electronic calipers at but not with me for a cupple of weeks (other house)

I'll see how I get on tomorow, and post the result.

It may well help opening them up, because the slots where far too thin for a normal screwdriver anyway.

James

Funny I am not getting these pictures ,ah well.

Right, What I do is::

I Weld the Screw back up, turn if I have to,, then cut the slot to get them in-line.

Then case harden them to blue ,Black..

You wouldn`t even know I have been there.lol.

Sometimes some figuring of course to make them blend in: Job Done..

If they are a plain metric screw thread, then I would see if there is an engineer’s supplier or even a local ironmongers around that you could source them from. If you can find a source they would be cheap but you might have to buy a box 50 > 100 unless they have a broken box or sell them singularly from. Failing that weld head and reform head and re cut slot then blue or black them.

Refinish the heads polish them up with various grades of wet and dry heat them up to cherry red and dab on to a Whitney wool blanket

( the old scratchy ones you had on the bed when you were a kid ) no matter how many times a Whitney wool blanket is washed the natural oils remain in it ,it's these that blacken the screw head .

cool down in water ,dip it in vasiline, burn this off with the blow lamp job done nice deep black screw head .

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter

• 2 weeks later...

That's a grand job Bobby :yes:

Gun screws are made to be turned by a specific tool called a turnscrew (A screwdriver in reality!!), The profile of the slot is different to normal slotted screws so ordinary screwdrivers usually chew them up if they're not reprofiled ;)

John :)

• 1 month later...