Dog weight

Hello all, my springer pup is now 7months old, a friend of my parents breed welsh Springers and is worried that my english may be a little under weight.

He is 12kg exactly and is on the food in the below link

https://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/GAMEKEEPERS-MIX

Would any of you think 12kg for 7 months old is a bit under. Baring in mind ma n pa weren't big dogs

Cheers

Check out topic called windy

Check out topic called windy

Done that now. Lovely looking lad. It's actually hard to see his body properly from those pics, but what I can see looks fine to me. Perhaps wouldn't want him any thinner, but fine.

The classic test people say is it should look like there's a blanket over the ribs. A duvet and he's too fat, a sheet and he's too thin.

With a puppy that age I'd want to err on the side of fatter than thinner, while they're growing. If you're worried he's a bit thin, just up his food a bit, and keep an eye on him.

Spaniels….. one year up, one year out. You can try feeding him more, chances are he'll just **** more.

If you're really worried feed him an extra meal a day of raw tripe (you can buy it frozen and pre-packed).

Wouldn't worry about it though.

Edited by WGD

We could not keep weight on our springer from a young age however was healthy in every other way and still is. No matter how much you feed he she didnt put weight on just crapped a load more. We spoke to the vets who said she was fine but just be careful if she is sick etc as she has not got much weight to loose.

I would get rid of that collar, nasty things.

Seconded, my mum has the odd dog to stay and last week had a 1 year old lab not turn up. That had been out for a walk gone into a patch of woodland and been missing for a few minutes when it ran out helped and dropped dead. It seems if they get stuck by the collar and pull too hard backwards to free themselves they can cause an injury that does this......

He looks fine on his photo. OH's Springer is 16kg at 4 year old. He is tall and slinky. At 7 months yours has still a lot of growing and filling out to do.

crickey my 2yr old is 20.5kg and there is not a pick of fat on him,,he is all muscle

016_zpseh7drlk3.jpg

I would change his diet, barf fed dogs always look better and are healthier

I stopped and shouldn't go back to BARF. There is much to be said for feeding the best of the complete foods (but only the best) and or home cooked. Raw? other than bones and odd fresh bits - never again personally and mine was all free

I stopped and shouldn't go back to BARF. There is much to be said for feeding the best of the complete foods (but only the best) and or home cooked. Raw? other than bones and odd fresh bits - never again personally and mine was all free

Why? What's so good about cereal based biscuits?

I am a big barf advocate and have seen a change in my dog since changing to meat, bones and fresh veg..... Have you read the dietary advice from the vets who advocate barf?

I was advised by a greyhound trainer who gets good results with barf fed dogs, animals performing at the top of their game

Barf advocating vets refer to dried food as poisoning your dog.....

I wouldn't dismiss it and have seen gains in my own dogs performance and body since changing

I used to feed Barf but after about 4 months until 2 of my dogs were ill, don't know if it was the food I had given them or something else they picked up but it was a trip to the vets for both. Explosive diarrhea I mean up the walls explosive for about 30 hours even after a jab. I have never seen anything like to and the vet put it down to a stomach bug. Can't blaim the Barf diet but complete for me is cleaner and easier on the nose.

I now feed a complete feed. Kronch basic but I am slowly changing over to Eden after seeing some very good reviews on it.

The diarrhoea was probably the dogs eating something they found.

Barf is often translated as "bones and raw food" but the aussie vet who started the switch back to natural food calls it "biologically appropriate raw food"

Dogs don't digest cereals very well, we do..... Dogs get their energy from fats, meat and fish fats ideally, so low lowest grade mince, butchers off cuts and the fat people trim off their meat before cooking is ideal, chicken skin etc.... They also need veg, wild dogs when they kill an animal open its gut and will eat the partly digested stomach contents as well as the internal organs and belly fat.

Bones are important for teeth and bone development.

You say its easier on the nose, that's your nose I take it? And highlights why a lot of people neglect their dogs.

This morning mine had pork fat, cheap mince and mixed veg, and the same tonight.

She also gets chicken portions (wings, drumsticks, quarters) chopped salad (the off cuts we don't eat) chopped veg (again ends of carrots and such) and occasional slice of brown bread, bit of brown rice and or brown pasta, as a filler they get no nutrients from it.

Tinned fish and liver and kidneys.

Things not to feed, garlic, onion, raisins or grapes, and chocolate

Benefits you immediately see is a shiny coat and less moulting, better smelling dog breath and less and smaller better formed poo.

Mid term improved muscle tone and energy

Long term less internal cancers and dietary problems in old health

On my phone at the minute but the greyhound trainer who gave me advice showed me a greyhound he bought as an adult a fit and healthy and successful racing dog.... Changed to barf and his body and coat changed amazingly and he cleaned up with that dog, that was the only significant change

I don't completely buy into the barf diet I tried it for at least 4 months and saw none of the incredible improvement that I am told happens with barf. My dogs were very ill and I have never seen anything like it in 45 years with dogs. One of the reasons I changed, I now feed a high quality complete food Eden and I think my dogs are better than ever on it.

80% multi meat and fish 20% fruit, veg and herbs. no grain of any sort.

http://www.edenpetfoods.com/products/eden-80-20-0-dog-food/eden-original-80-20-0-multimeat-and-fish/eden-original-80-20-0-multimeat-and-fish.html