Is this normal practice to anyone.

delburt0

I recently responded for a place in a local syndicate advertised as it was local to me as I was asking all the obvious questions i asked if I could not attend a shoot due to work can I send a safe gun in my place or have the shoot let it out and receive certainly a percentage of the money ?

The member that was advertising this responded with,

No if you cannot attend your gun will go to another family member of the shoot and we will keep the money for the end of season party, is it just me or is this taking the proverbial.

Also just seen another advertisement from the same guy wanting beaters preferably with dogs for free,

How times have changed !!!

Edited by delburt0

I recently responded for a place in a local syndicate advertised as it was local to me as I was asking all the obvious questions i asked if I could not attend a shoot due to work can I send a safe gun in my place or have the shoot let it out and receive certainly a percentage of the money ?

The member that was advertising this responded with,

No if you cannot attend your gun will go to another family member of the shoot and we will keep the money for the end of season party, is it just me or is this taking the proverbial.

Also just seen another advertisement from the same guy wanting beaters preferably with dogs for free,

How times have changed !!!

No not normal, but I can see where they are coming from. I have been a Shoot Captain for many years, sending guest has caused us problems in the past. What we deem as a "Safe Gun" is not what some people think. We have now said that if a guest is attending without the member, he needs to be known too at least one of the members as being safe.

You only need one accident!

No not normal, but I can see where they are coming from. I have been a Shoot Captain for many years, sending guest has caused us problems in the past. What we deem as a "Safe Gun" is not what some people think. We have now said that if a guest is attending without the member, he needs to be known too at least one of the members as being safe.

You only need one accident!

i appreciate that Reggie and you don't mind taking a loss on a day as tightchoke said they all have rules but if they sold a day for 100 I would expect let's say. 50 back.

On our shoot (which is not particularly cheap) if you can't attend, you lose the peg. Simple as. And your place is taken by a paying guest accompanying an attending member. It's a not for profit syndicate, though, and it all goes back into the kitty to run as high a quality shoot at as low a cost as possible. And we all know the rules when we join. So you can't in any way say it's not fair.

Admittedly, it's a minor irritation to me personally, because with other things for which I pay a season in advance (my seats at the football, for instance) it gives me compensatory pleasure to give them away to others who will appreciate them on the occasions I can't make it.

The effect when these two clash, as they inevitably do several times a season, is that I always choose the shooting, not just because the peg for one costs three times more per day than my very good premier league seats for two, but because I can give the seats away, whereas the peg I just lose. (And also, to be fair, because it's a shorter season with fewer outings).

Providing this strong incentive for members to turn up is obviously a key reason that the syndicate does it this way. Another is not having the admin headache and safety issues of a different person's random mate turning up unaccompanied every week. There are no unaccompanied guests.

I'm conscious that the reason I can do what I like with my football seats is that the club, once it's got my money, couldn't care less whether I personally actually turn up.

Whereas the shoot isn't merely a financial proposition, it's a also a social group formed around a common endeavour, which does actually care whether I personally turn up and stand my peg.

The rules are designed accordingly, and though it does come with an element of personal irritation, I don't think it's a bad thing at all, and wouldn't change it.

Each shoot has its own rules basically, and what you're paying for essentially isn't a peg to shoot on but the cost of the birds and all the relevant costs that go with the shoot, which makes me wonder how they put the money into a kitty for a end of season party, unless you're paying a much higher premium than just the birds etc. Our end of season dinner is on top of shoot fees, but like I say, each one is different.

The only stipulation our shoot makes regards guests is how often we can invite them and that they have insurance.

Should I be a syndicate member and find myself not being able to attend a shoot (presumably the dates were given long in advance?) I would see it as my misfortune. I would never ask someone else to attend in my place.

As above.

If one of us can't make a shoot day the peg is given to one of our regular beaters. But we are a diy shoot putting down about 500 birds and can't afford to pay the beaters only feed and water them, so it's seen as a bit of a bonus by our small beating team.

Should I be a syndicate member and find myself not being able to attend a shoot (presumably the dates were given long in advance?) I would see it as my misfortune. I would never ask someone else to attend in my place.

Why don't you try and swap the day with another gun - that's what we tend to do on our syndicate.

AB

I would agree with the above :yes:

Safety is paramount on a shoot and it is your responsibility, as a gun and member, to make sure it is maintained.

Each shoot has different typography. From flat open fields, with the birds being pushed from cover crops 100 yards away, to steep wooded valleys where the beaters are crossing a 45°+ bank less than 20 yards in front of and above the guns.

In the past I have offered my peg for the day to a guest that has shot on the shoot in the past and therefore known to the rest of the guns and especially the shoot captain. If I can not make the day for any reason, before I offer the day to a guest of mine to shoot in my place, I seek permission off the shoot captain and my team captain. Alternatively I offer the day to one of the other guns to have a guest that they can stand with to make sure they are safe. Some times the offer is made to myself. Or as rimfire4969 says one of the regular beaters is offered the peg.

Ultimately it is your peg on the shoot and if you send a guest who causes any form of embarrassment, it will be you who will be asked/told to leave the shoot (and probably with no refund).

I can recall a situation when I was just a beater on the Crown Shoot where a high level clay pigeon shooting instructor was asked to leave after the first drive for taking a dangerous shot. The gun whose guest he was, was very embarrassed and could not apologise enough.

These are all things to think about before you join a shoot.

Good luck in your quest

All the best

Edited by shoot and be safe

I would agree with the above :yes:

Safety is paramount on a shoot and it is your responsibility, as a gun and member, to make sure it is maintained.

Each shoot has different typography. From flat open fields, with the birds being pushed from cover crops 100 yards away, to steep wooded valleys where the beaters are crossing a 45°+ bank less than 20 yards in front of and above the guns.

In the past I have offered my peg for the day to a guest that has shot on the shoot in the past and therefore known to the rest of the guns and especially the shoot captain. If I can not make the day for any reason, before I offer the day to a guest of mine to shoot in my place, I seek permission off the shoot captain and my team captain. Alternatively I offer the day to one of the other guns to have a guest that they can stand with to make sure they are safe. Some times the offer is made to myself. Or as rimfire4969 says one of the regular beaters is offered the peg.

Ultimately it is your peg on the shoot and if you send a guest who causes any form of embarrassment, it will be you who will be asked/told to leave the shoot (and probably with no refund).

I can recall a situation when I was just a beater on the Crown Shoot where a high level clay pigeon shooting instructor was asked to leave after the first drive for taking a dangerous shot. The gun whose guest he was, was very embarrassed and could not apologise enough.

These are all things to think about before you join a shoot.

Good luck in your quest

All the best

Is it who im thinking :hmm: if so :lol: :lol: :lol:

As above.

If one of us can't make a shoot day the peg is given to one of our regular beaters. But we are a diy shoot putting down about 500 birds and can't afford to pay the beaters only feed and water them, so it's seen as a bit of a bonus by our small beating team.

I like that idea.