getting dafter!could you answer this question?

kdubya

I bet the FEO in question was Allan Morris.

He must be one of the new ones, I'm told there is three altogether.?

Last FAC renewal a lad called Luke was appointed after the two that helped themselves to guns & money.

Must have been a knee jerk reaction by Durham, by the lads own admission he didn't have a clue about firearms in any shape of form.

Seems we have to be clued up, but they don't, which anyone up here who has had dealings with know they aren't... :lol:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Durham are now asking new applicants for a shotgun cert to name the component parts (wanted 8?) of a cartridge and even the name and type of powder used? I kid you not!!

KW

Laughable. So if the applicant can't answer the question correctly he doesn't get his shotgun license?

This wants looking in to.

I'll join you:

case type (paper/plastic and bore)

Shot (size and material)

Wad (plastic/fiber/wool)

Powder (god knows, it burns slow in the open but goes bang in the gun)

Brass head (usually steel)

Primer

crimp or rollover

bore/gauge

That's all I can think of of the top of my head

Crimp and roll over are not component parts but operations applied to the case

Close though

Norfolk/Suffolk lot got rather hung up on safety, asking me quite a few fairly stupid questions:

- When your dad gave you your first gun (50yrs ago!) did he give you a safety briefing? No he just gave me a gun.

- Why when you go shooting do you not always get a safety briefing (had explained sometimes yes sometimes no depend and up nature of shoot and guns involved)? Explained to him in very short, one syllable words, when we shoot we try really hard not to shoot people whereas when he (ex-firearms officer) took out a gun he tried really hard to kill people. That's why we have the safest sport in the country!

Etc etc

Got the impression he had no idea how a shoot works and he had probably watched too many Westerns as a kid.

Durham are now asking new applicants for a shotgun cert to name the component parts (wanted 8?) of a cartridge and even the name and type of powder used? I kid you not!!

KW

That's progress. The last thread on this subject - also concerning Durham - a couple of months back they were only asking for 7.

As the bore/gauge is also not a component part, we're back to 6. I'll toss in the anvil and make it 7.

Base wad 7. Can you devide the plastic wad into 2 parts? Shot Cup and Recoil Device thing and that would make 8.

Edited by TriBsa

I was sat with kdubya in our club house at the clay ground when the owner came and asked me what they called the powder i was using ( i reload my own )

Told him i used vectan AS. I asked him why and he said some new shooter that had joined the club was applying for his SGC with durham and this is one of the questions he was asked..

Had a call from Bruce last night about kdubya asking did i know him as i was a ref on his renewal FAC /SGC said i did and asked what else he wanted to know, Nothing was the answer just checking that

you had put your name down as a ref...

He's a good feo very helpful

Edited by hawkeye

Yes Durham are Very special,

they seem to stumble from one mess to another without re-course, in a table of best to worst at least they would be able to claim "undisputable winners" what makes it even worse is we pay for this service and its just gone up, value for money?

Maybe they are trying to make similarities to the car and bike test of modern day where as part of said test there are knowledge questions (show me tell me) such as where would you check and top up your brake fluid or for a motorbike what do you need to consider if taking a pillion.

It does sound like they are trying to adapt this style in a not so great way.

Maybe they are trying to make similarities to the car and bike test of modern day where as part of said test there are knowledge questions (show me tell me) such as where would you check and top up your brake fluid or for a motorbike what do you need to consider if taking a pillion.

It does sound like they are trying to adapt this style in a not so great way.

That would be fair enough if they asked about suitable cartridges for chamber size or proofed for steel, what to do with a hang fire or misfire, etc.

Maybe they do ask about these things already elsewhere, my feo just had a good blether with me and a cup of tea.

There you go, common sense prevails.

Common sense says a new shooter putting in for his first ticket and who is in all probability not a member of a shooting organisation or well clued up on licensing requirements (who was when first starting out) will not wish to rock the boat at all, never mind a bit! and will cede to the demands made, its not down to the new shooter to sort issues such as this,how does he know whats right whats wrong? we have do we not? organisations paid to represent us over such issues, perhaps the word STOP needs to become part of their vocabulary.

KW