getting dafter!could you answer this question?

kdubya

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Common sense says a new shooter putting in for his first ticket and who is in all probability not a member of a shooting organisation or well clued up on licensing requirements (who was when first starting out) will not wish to rock the boat at all, never mind a bit! and will cede to the demands made, its not down to the new shooter to sort issues such as this,how does he know whats right whats wrong? we have do we not? organisations paid to represent us over such issues, perhaps the word STOP needs to become part of their vocabulary.

KW

Couldn't agree more, but even with the advice of said organisations newbies are still complying with ridiculous and entirely none mandatory requirements; unrequired and applicant paid GP's letters spring to mind. We do indeed have organisations paid to represent us; perhaps some aren't all they claim to be.

If you're not happy, join the NGO. I did. I'm very happy, look........ :)

Couldn't agree more, but even with the advice of said organisations newbies are still complying with ridiculous and entirely none mandatory requirements; unrequired and applicant paid GP's letters spring to mind. We do indeed have organisations paid to represent us; perhaps some aren't all they claim to be.

If you're not happy, join the NGO. I did. I'm very happy, look........ :)

Did the NGO sort out any issues for you?

Im under Durham and have had my share of problems just like anyone else, shooting organisations are useless (My own dealings with them) with Durham.You have to do abit of legwork yourself ie go sit down with the firearms licensing manager put your case forward with plenty of facts and you get what you want. It may be easier under different forces but I've never not got what I have requested.

I have recently countersigned a new application for a SGC for a Mate.

It went in the post last weekend and he was politely notified that they had received it on the following Tuesday.

He has spoken to our FEO and is hopeful of a brand new SGC within 8 weeks.

I hope they are even quicker and that there are no unneccessary questions like Durham are trying to instigate.

I'd threaten to take them to High Court as they have no lawful reason for refusing a shotgun cert on the basis that an applicant has refused or can't name the component parts of a cartridge. How utterly absurd. they obviously just don't want the public owning shotguns or firearms and may as well raise a big banner to that effect. At the very least, a solicitor's letter to the Chief Constable ought to rattle a few cages.

They need reasonable cause to refuse a SC, and that clearly is not reasonable cause as long as you know which end is which! Newbees sometimes are not aware that a shotgun certificate is open to anyone over the age of 17 irrespective of whether they're a club member or not (ie it's a right providing you have no criminal record, can provide referees and are deemed "a responsible person"). We all know that for an FAC you need to prove reasonable need. As that doesn't apply to shotguns, and as this isn't the first time it's been made public that Durham could be acting unlawfully (?), it's high time BASC or some other organisation took them to task. I thought that there were national meets of firearms licencing officers, and this, somehow, ought to be on the agenda if that's still the case.

Even fewer are aware that there is no minimum age for the grant of a SGC and the age is 14 for an FAC.

Very true I remember the media frenzie why sky reported the number of 9 year olds issued with SGC. Still seems odd that you can gift a Shotgun to an under 18 cert holder but they can't have a air rifle gifted to them till 18.

Thank god I'm in north yorkshire, one question though is this a "quiz" they are putting on application forms or questions asked when interviewed.

If it is the latter i might suggest that's not such an unusual question?

On my first time application i had bought and read Graham Downings shooting for beginners which gave a brilliant overview to everything.

On my visit i was asked several questions,

"what happens if you load a 12 b over a 20 b cartridge"

"what size shot was suitable for game, and what would be more suitable for wildfowl"

"what is the effective range of a shotgun"

"how far from a path or road should you be when shooting"

"What would you do when you come to a fence you want to pass when out with your gun"

I even recall discussing different parts of a shotgun barrel as in, chamber, forcing cone, choke ect and parts of cartridges and this would have been 5 years ago.

You could argue what does any of this prove and you could argue that it was pretty comprehensive however i would say i was a young lad not from a shooting family with no direct mentoring from a father that shoots and no lessons or mentoring at clay shoots as might be more normal for young first time applicants. The whole visit seemed to me to be to make sure i knew everything i needed to know, more in an educational way than suggesting it was like a pass/fail test or like she was trying to catch me out.

In my experience North Yorkshire are a responsible and reliable firearms Dept and have had nothing but good service from them.

After all the problems Durham have had they seem to be trying to overcompensate for past mistakes, if they had followed guidance as was to begin with there would have been non. A friend suggested the Firearms Dept wanted to know when he last passed wind on renewal so maybe they are asking normal sort of questions but not in an educational way but in an interrogation way. From all you hear and read about durham want bringing to heal.

I would have said I will answer their question but first he must answer mine.

How many people work in his department.

Not that turns up in the morning but that actually work.

A fifth?

Is there an additional form I need to fill in to claim my prize?

"how far from a path or road should you be when shooting"

Interesting one this as to shoot near or from either one is not an offence in itself. Shooting near or on a highway would only be an offence under the old ' interrupt, endanger, alarm' chestnut. Similarly to obstruct a persons use of that path would also be an offence.

I also thought that a path wasn't considered a highway for these purposes anyway?

No I did not think a path was eaither, and by shooting from one you are not obstructing anyone. It is essentially there choice if they find something they dislike!

I was always under the impression there was no minimum distance from a footpath (indeed correct me if I am wrong but you can shoot from a footpath). But as with public highways the police have far more 'leverage to get you'... As is there genral want with shooters :/

No I did not think a path was eaither, and by shooting from one you are not obstructing anyone. It is essentially there choice if they find something they dislike!

I was always under the impression there was no minimum distance from a footpath (indeed correct me if I am wrong but you can shoot from a footpath). But as with public highways the police have far more 'leverage to get you'... As is there genral want with shooters :/

+1 As far as I am aware it is an offence to cause disturbance to a road user by shooting within 50 feet of the public highway, whereas no such restriction applies to a footpath.Of course the usual rules of courtesy apply and it is always best to ensure you can see people from a reasonable distance to avoid causing upset, fright or offence. In essence you could shoot all day long next to a public highway as long as you dont "disturb" anyone.

Thank god I am in the "next door force area" Cleveland feo visited me on the 21st may, quick chat asked me if I wanted anything else answer yes as a matter of fact I do :yes: coterminous certs dropped on the mat this morning, and that's fairly slow to normal, have had variations by return of post in the past, now if one force can do it why the hell cant the force next door? please lord dont let them amalgamate as is being muted.

KW

Apologies guys, not totally the ball this week, my only nephew was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident on Saturday, may never walk again, he's 27, then Monday my oldest shooting pal dies suddenly...so hands up I have not been as careful as usual looking at all the posts on PW

Yes seen it, our firearms team are aware, yet another thing this constabulary's firearms team will be taken to task over

If anyone wants to give me a drubbing ...bring it on..things cant get any worse and it will be water off a ducks back

David

I have had quite a few problems with Durham and BASC has always been there to give advise.This week though Durham really surprised me,I put in a 1/1 variation last Monday and was advised 28 days,but yesterday they called me at work to advise my licence is ready to collect.Picked it up on the way home and went to collect my new rifle this morning.David you shouldn't feel that you need to respond to posts especially under the circumstances your experiencing. Plus your finished work now but you still are willing to advise people and I can't understand why you get stick.People should be glad of the advise you give,if not then let them wait till BASC offices are open,all the numbers are on the back of their membership cards.

Edited by Davyo