European immigration good or bad for Britain ?

islandgun

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double edged sword? if it provides services and skills we need to benefit the country, then good, if however as now its used to provide endless hand car washers and low skilled low paid workers who depress our own wage structure, and burden our infrastructure to the point of bursting, whilst not contributing for the additional cost ,then bad, indeed very bad, mind its good for some, ask the four lorry driver's arrested at Harwich yesterday ? as for the true costs, those that say its a benefit economically fail to take into account the fact that the vast amount of immigrants who are economic migrants,are low paid hence low tax payers, they will get ill,and they will get old and then they will cost us big time but that cost is not considered.

KW

There's good and bad things about immigration and not just for the host country either. The majority of immigrants do come to work and they work hard most of them. More recently as pointed out we have an explosion in hand car washes, unskilled workers driving down wages and examples of immigrants claiming child benefits for children back home. Look around the major towns and cities and see the beggars/ winos and general dross of society that has somehow made it over here.

If we cherry picked the people we need it would help us but it wouldn't help the country they're coming from. They lose skilled workers and tax income so end up as more of a drain on the EU budget.

I always understood that the ruling on immigration within the EU was for people to have the right to work in any EU country, not to just allow them in wholesale without jobs or accommodation to be a drain on the host country.

And here is the oppositions spin god knows the real cost today.

KW

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/380

We are but a small country which has a housing crisis if some recent radio programmes are true. Most immigrants around here seem well motivated hard workers but there seems to be continual talk through the social media of abuses to our social services by benefit migrants.

Blackpowder

Whatever the merits of the hardworking individuals who add to the country, samboy has hit the nail on the head. There are a fair number of career criminals already in the country.

Want a new front on the local cash dispenser - eastern Europeans at your service. Pickpockets - you can never have too many. Benefit fraud - happy to oblige. Prostitution, protection rackets, people trafficking - come to the experts. :whistling::whistling: :whistling:

I had my teeth looked at by a very efficient hygienist from E Europe yesterday possibly filling a vacancy left by a Brit now working in NZ, so could see the positive. A negative is a lady I was talking too from Germany who lives in the UK for half the year who recently had both hips replaced care of the NHS

Well said sable.

I had my teeth looked at by a very efficient hygienist from E Europe yesterday possibly filling a vacancy left by a Brit now working in NZ, so could see the positive. A negative is a lady I was talking too from Germany who lives in the UK for half the year who recently had both hips replaced care of the NHS

well that says it all for meImmigration is out of control and needs to stop. Edited by besty57

The survey that said EU migrants are a financial benefit to the country.was fatally flawed. It was done by a German professor and only surveyed graduates. To me its a simple numbers game, we don't need any more people, don't care who they are or where they come from.

They are redoing the pavements in a road near here this week. Every member of the crew doing it is Eastern European, no complaints from me. nice hard working friendly, polite etc they are doing a good job. .However, lets just back track on that a moment. When, exactly, did we get to the situation that we needed people from abroad to come and fix our pavements?

What about all our unemployed? Its not a complicated question

Edited by Vince Green

Vince - it is too simple for some. :lol: We are a small country, relatively speaking, and there has to be a limit to our population.

I believe we have enough people here and many who should not be here. I don't care about their colour, race or religion. Enough is enough.

immigration,has certainly done wonders for alternative uses of suitcases, another body found in one yesterday, one found in one at little Venice in May, one in suitcase in Birmingham in April,and one in a suitcase in York last November, wonder if when back home they used to get the old series with McGill as the main character?

KW

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-33034823

I honestly wish that those, who say immigration is great, would put a number on the number the country could support. Another 10 million, another 50 million?

Where do you draw the line, without some idiot crying "racism"?

The same question could also be asked to those that say we don't need any immigrants, thankfully both groups are very rare and suspect that most right minded people recognise both the need for immigration AND the need to control it.

To Islandgun, the truth is we don't know the answer, there is lots of conjecture on both sides but nobody can give a definitive answer. Some costs will be short term and monitory and others could be long term and not counted in pounds - who knows.

Edited by FalconFN

I'm a bit conflicted on this one. On one hand I've hired quite a few extremely skilled and dedicated people who could be classed as immigrants and so far that's worked out extremely well. On the other hand, immigrants as skilled as those seem hugely outnumbered by those looking to abuse the system and/or milk it for all they can.

So I don't think I'd want immigration, European or other, stopped completely but I would like to see much greater controls. Perhaps the answer is to ditch the free movement rights (clearly far from easy), introduce visas for Europeans and only grant entry to those who genuinely posses the skills our businesses need and regularly reassess.

We dont have a lack of people so shouldnt let any in. As for skills they import from abroad cheaper thsn this country and neglect our own peoples opportunities, good to make a quick fast buck but in the long run terrible

I'm afraid we do have a lack of people, especially in certain professions. It isn't about overall numbers, it's about fulfilling a need, supply and demand if you prefer, so the problems occur when there is an oversupply of one sector of the workforce, for example unskilled laborers, which works to drive down wages. On the other hand there are good wages to be had for the people in roles where there is a lack of home grown talent. I visited a company recently where they employed Spanish and Indian as well as English phd graduates as there just weren't enough good candidates in the area. I also do a lot of work for the ambulance service and they actively recruit in NZ and Australia because there aren't enough UK paramedics coming through the system. Immigration is essential in certain cases.

I'm afraid we do have a lack of people, especially in certain professions. It isn't about overall numbers, it's about fulfilling a need, supply and demand if you prefer, so the problems occur when there is an oversupply of one sector of the workforce, for example unskilled laborers, which works to drive down wages. On the other hand there are good wages to be had for the people in roles where there is a lack of home grown talent. I visited a company recently where they employed Spanish and Indian as well as English phd graduates as there just weren't enough good candidates in the area. I also do a lot of work for the ambulance service and they actively recruit in NZ and Australia because there aren't enough UK paramedics coming through the system. Immigration is essential in certain cases.

as KW put it a double edged sword, in fact we happy to accept immigrants as long as they are fulfilling a role essential to us, no one, it seems, can forward a convincing argument about the financial implications of immigration, do the taxpaying immigrants pay for the non taxpaying and then some, or is it a deficit ? I remember a discussion about workers in the fens the resident lads at the job centre not wanting to walk behind a tractor harvesting caulis yet some E U migrants were very happy to get stuck in and do a 12 hour day, I like Britain for its diversity, but then !

Edited by islandgun

as KW put it a double edged sword, in fact we happy to accept immigrants as long as they are fulfilling a role essential to us, no one, it seems, can forward a convincing argument about the financial implications of immigration, do the taxpaying immigrants pay for the non taxpaying and then some, or is it a deficit ? I remember a discussion about workers in the fens the resident lads at the job centre not wanting to walk behind a tractor harvesting caulis yet some E U migrants were very happy to get stuck in and do a 12 hour day, I like Britain for its diversity, but then !

Maybe we need a double edged approach, put a rocket up the rear of the lazy, workshy **** who unfortunately were born here. Force them to work if there are vacancies. Then we won't need the unskilled workers from the EU. Implement selective immigration so we only get the ones we need.

I think the biggest problem for us at the moment is that our benefits system is seen as generous by many immigrants compared to their own country. Since their is no parity across the EU that makes us seem very attractive to the people from countries like Romania. Maybe their benefits should be pegged at the level they would receive in their own country?