Garden shredders/chippers

Twistedsanity

Just brought one from screwfix, these things have generally been useless in the past as I'm sure most folk are aware if you have tried to use one but the little Titan one I got for £70 is the dogs do-da's , takes wood up to 45m in its stride and has just bee on the For 3 hours solid without a hiccup

I use one for my apples, when I'm making my Cider

Do they not get dirty? Grease or anything?

I have a little draper one. It's fine for branches and things, but can't really handle the hedge cuttings. As they are thin and whippy they just kind of get dragged through and not shredded. Anyone have one that handles the thin stuff too?

In stock?

No idea, but, there again, I don't have one of the machines, I just have to go to the tip on a very regular basis.

p.s. I did have a letter from Screwfix advising me that they weren't actually a dating agency. Ka-boom tish!

No idea, but, there again, I don't have one of the machines, I just have to go to the tip on a very regular basis.

If you look at the same place you found them for 9.99 - you will see them out of stock. It is a common complaint in the reviews. You can find them elsewhere - at double the price. Will you find them in 5 years time? Who knows. One of the reasons I like to buy quality brands which sell spares and support their products for a long time. In the long run, it pays off.

If you look at the same place you found them for 9.99 - you will see them out of stock. It is a common complaint in the reviews. You can find them elsewhere - at double the price. Will you find them in 5 years time? Who knows. One of the reasons I like to buy quality brands which sell spares and support their products for a long time. In the long run, it pays off.

Fair comment. But, a lot of people and companies, Argos, MFI, etc., buy/sell cheap and throw away when parts wear out, sometimes you're lucky and it does go on and on. I guess it all depends upon your needs, is this a "one off" job or will you still need it in 5 years? I have bought both was and been lucky and unlucky, reputable kit that lasts its warranty + I day then dies and cheap kit that does go on forever.

Has our throw away society made us forget that sharp things can be sharpened again? Does everyone throw away knives and replace them when the edge dulls?

True enough - but eventually it will need replacing. The Bosch one uses a reversible blade, so when it is dull, you just flip it over and use the other side. After that you either need to re-sharpen, or replace.

I had to laugh last Thursday, I was sat in the van having lunch and watching two old fellas try to cut and shred a small tree on the boundary of their driveways. while the leccy chainsaw seemed to work a treat, the bosch shredder was absolutely pants! I cringed when one old boy took the lid off and stuck his arm in to try and free something up while it was still running.

Just brought one from screwfix, these things have generally been useless in the past as I'm sure most folk are aware if you have tried to use one but the little Titan one I got for £70 is the dogs do-da's , takes wood up to 45m in its stride and has just bee on the For 3 hours solid without a hiccup

£90 on the web site.