Meet the gun that costs less than...

secretagentmole

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flyboy1950-exactly which internals would a sharp spring rip apart in a HW80? I also cannot understand why Hull Cartridge would need to cut a spring for an FAC 80-they are imported at 18ft/lb as standard and when I spoke to HC Co. they told me they had the FAC springs coming out of their ears-they have to throw them away.PS-You mean 5.5mm not inches on your pellet sizes-mind you Daystate are probably looking into making a five and a half inch calibre Airgun-limited edition of course.

Edited by bruno22rf

First two figures for the Superdomes should be 11.16 ftlbs?

Try some AA Fields or JSB Exacts through it and some Falcon AP or Exact Express if you can.

Quite right, have amended the post (couldn't read my own writing).

Pellet tins were selected purely at random as I have probably 20 different types!

Flyboy1950-exactly which internals would a sharp spring rip apart in a HW80? I also cannot understand why Hull Cartridge would need to cut a spring for an FAC 80-they are imported at 18ft/lb as standard and when I spoke to HC Co. they told me they had the FAC springs coming out of their ears-they have to throw them away.PS-You mean 5.5mm not inches on your pellet sizes-mind you Daystate are probably looking into making a five and a half inch calibre Airgun-limited edition of course.

Both ends of the spring were chopped and left with a sharp rough spikes at each end. With the spring "Unwinding" during the firing cycle this will either chisel out deep groves into the ends of the compression piston and the top hat at the breech, or pierce the metal work of either of those components. Fitting a metal washer is going to only provide a temporary solution. The spring was returned and a spring was sourced else where and the rifle was then re sprung. It now shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds with an energy level of around 25 ft/lbs. If you are going to go the trouble of getting an FAC rated air rifle, an increase of 6ft/lbs is not worth the effort/cost in my opinion. If the "Old Bill" will grant you that, you may as well go for a .22LR. Using .22LR shorts in subsonic will give you a vast increase in energy for a lot less cost overall.

Why would Hull Cartridge need to cut any spring in any Weihrauch rifle? Surely Weihrauch can get the springs made to the correct length by the spring manufacturer? There have been many problems with poorly finished springs in many Weihrauch models, not just the 80!

Edited by secretagentmole

Well sir I can assure you that the 2 springs that were taken out of the wife's HW95 were also cut with an angle grinder by the looks of them. More like a corkscrew than a properly finished spring!

SAM, I am a bit confused by this as no spring should be cut with an angle grinder and fitted in a gun as the spring needs to be finished properly which involves some heat treatment, bending and grinding flat. The spring ends up sitting with just about a full circle of flat against the piston (actually, both ends).

What was yours like?

Like a flaming corkscrew. It was not flat ended. These were new guns as well. The second one was so bad we bought a Vortek PGR 2 tuning kit. It twanged and rattled like heck it also buzzed like a bee in a tinfoil factory.

On stripping down to fit the kit the gunsmith found a load of swarf in the mechanism too!

Like a flaming corkscrew. It was not flat ended. These were new guns as well. The second one was so bad we bought a Vortek PGR 2 tuning kit. It twanged and rattled like heck it also buzzed like a bee in a tinfoil factory.

On stripping down to fit the kit the gunsmith found a load of swarf in the mechanism too!

If the springs were like cork screws, that in all probability is the cause of the swarf in the internals, as the sharp ends gouge out metal on "un- winding" during the firing cycle.

That is shocking.

Blimey Mr Mole you really do like knocking Weihrauch.

BTW my HW 95 doesn't buzz at all. It's as quiet as a mouse. In fact it's the perfect springer for me. Just to add a little balance to this thread you understand.

Yes but I can only state from my own personal experience. My 77 being a 25mm piston is a delight to fire, it was also made when quality levels were at their best. It is a great gun. I also believe in pointing people where they get a good gun for a very reasonable price. Just for balance you understand. Oh and my little lightweight Hatsan 900 recoils as much as my tuned HW77 does. Just for balance!

Ah now my mk 1 .177 TX recoiled slightly less than either the HW77 or the Hatsan 900. But it was a ruddy site heavier than the Hatsan and not a gun I would like to lug about all day!

Too Right! Even the sling manages to cut into my shoulder with the weight of it!

Although it does hit every critter that happens to pop up with brutal accuracy!

Is there any gun that can match the TX200 for accuracy but is like eh... Half the weight!??

Brilliant gun and i love it to bits but it is not ideal for field use! (for me anyway. Dont have a car so have to walk a mile to hunting ground!)

has anyone bought a hatsan 900 as a result of this thread...and what do they think of it as an "out of the box jobbie"...?

Because of this topic, I yesterday purchased one of these Hatsan 900 air rifles in .22 cal, as I have about 20,000 pellets that I couldn't use after having 10 air rifles stolen last year.

I tried the rifle in the local fishing tackle shop, (they have recently started selling a range of air weapons and this Hatsan was among them), I shot a 3/4 group with some oxidised rubbish pellets over their 20 yard range, with a rifle out of the box, using open sights. The rifle cost me £85.00 even though I tried to get them lower, but the rifle is a great buy even at this price. Most dealers else where are charging £130.

On stripping in the garage I lubricated the main spring with my favorite Rocal gas tap grease, through the cocking port. No spring twang at all Put a heavier grade of oil on the trigger and anti bear trap mechanisms, both well made, but at this price not in the Record trigger mechanism quality, which has become the bench mark of springer rifles.

Quality of the metal work is super, no swarf or crudd any where. Wooden stock nicely made and quite light weight. My only criticism so far, is that on reassembly the front self taping screw in the trigger guard, has rounded out the wooden hole that it fits in. The timber here is only 1/8th of an inch deep and the course pitched screw destroys the area. Solution, cut a small plastic rawl plug to depth and super glue in place, problem delt with. It is the only screw that isn't machined, all the rest are just fine.

The only plastic on this gun is the moderator/cocking aid and the safety catch.

Trigger pull is very long, but not heavy and that may need a bit of fettling after running a tin of pellets through the rifle. There is a trigger adjustment that I have left alone for the running in period.

I am looking forward to shooting this rifle in the field with a scope fitted and running it across the chrono.

For a full powered adult rifle with moderator, I will be recommending this rifle to all newbies to the sport.

PS. I have run an air rifle club for the last 30 years.

There you go Ditchman, post #63 of this very thread. I think Flyboy1950 likes it don't you?

I can attest to that being correct. One of my pals has an FAC rated HW80 and we recently sent off for a replacement spring from the importers, it came chopped to length via a disc cutter and was left with sharp pointed ends that would have ripped the internals to shreds in no time, took a great deal of fettling to make it safe to handle, let alone use.

Yes bud, and if you remember it only gave 13.5ftlb and the Importers when questioned said,"well that's over 12 ftlb so it's FAC isn't it!) so it didn't stay in there long!

Absolute rubbish in terms of quality and service! Yes it was Hull cartridge.

Apologies for the hijack!

Edited by old man

has anyone bought a hatsan 900 as a result of this thread...and what do they think of it as an "out of the box jobbie"...?

Me, i was looking for a springer to use on magpies and rats. Out of the box it seems pretty good. Although i only shot around 20 pellets, it feels nice to hold and shoulder, is quiet enough for me and didnt cost the earth, ive since lent it my dad to have a few shots with and he is very impressed with it, it groups well using superdome pellets which my dad had for his gun. All in all its a very good rifle for little money. But im no expert just wanted a cheap gun and this hatsan has suprised me and my dad for the money it cost