Meet the gun that costs less than...

secretagentmole

Looks well built, quiet compared to ones ive shot before. Not zeroed in on the scope yet as i didnt have time. It seems to good to be true for the price. The other customers in the shop were shocked when he said how much the gun was. No rattly, springy noices when you fire it.

That silencer is great as well isn't it? mine makes 79db 60cm from the action.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Good as they ever were" is the operative point though Paddy, many HWs are now worse than Hatsans. The springers routinely have poorly finished springs, swarf in the internals and nicked seals. People are getting guns that are well below Hatsan, hell well below even SMK levels.

I have a 1990s 77, one of the last 25mmm piston guns and it is great. Recently needed a new set of seals but I think it was on it's originals as well! They made the gus well then. The 900 is well made and nicely finished. These days you even get complaints about HW bluing.

Edited by secretagentmole

well I must be one lucky son of a bitch then, I've not had any faults with weirach, ever. can't say the same for my AA prosport, poor finish on the wood, sticky cocking action etc, I also had an s410 which seemed cobbled together in a hurry and didn't work properly, an s310 which just broke repeatedly, and a daystate merlin which had the barrel fitted on the huh from factory, depending on the range I shot at I had to vary how far left I aimed. and in between all these I've had 5 wierachs, 3 different models, that were faultless.

I can understand your point about value for money, but I wouldn't expect much longevity from a 70 pound gun, although if any of you guys that have parted with your hard earned for one of these are still able to brag about their reliability 10 yrs down the road then I might reconsider.

atb,

Paddy

"Good as they ever were" is the operative point though Paddy, many HWs are now worse than Hatsans. The springers routinely have poorly finished springs, swarf in the internals and nicked seals. People are getting guns that are well below Hatsan, hell well below even SMK levels.

I have a 1990s 77, one of the last 25mmm piston guns and it is great. Recently needed a new set of seals but I think it was on it's originals as well! They made the gus well then. The 900 is well made and nicely finished. These days you even get complaints about HW bluing.

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol: Ever tried stand up Mr Mole

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol: Ever tried stand up Mr Mole

Fenboy I speak from experience, the other half had 2 95s that buzzed worse than a bee in a tinfoil factory, stripped down revealed a mess of swarf in the grease, nicked seals, springs that must have been cut with an angle grinder and the gunsmith sliced himself open on one of the damned things. She had two HW100s that seemed to spend more time at the gunshop or HVC than in our ownership.

HW do make great guns, the 25mm pistoned HW77 is a case in point. But the 35 and the 99 still suffer from galling, even with the fix in place, like it or not Hatsan have raised their game as HW have let theirs fall.

Just a thought regarding spring noise and quality-don't Hull Cartridge re spring HW's as they are imported? I must admit, however, to kind of agreeing to moles opinion regarding HW quality-I used a 80 for 10+ years and it was stupidly accurate and never needed any parts-on the strength of this I treated myself to a 95 a few years back-omg-what a poor relation to the 80 and would not buy another HW-imho AA make far better guns at similar money.

Edited by bruno22rf

Like SAM, i have several hatsans, for the money they are good value, they shoot as accurately as my other springers,

and i own most if not all of the well known springers,all my HW springers have had to have tuning work done as standard

they were to harsh & twangy, i also have a hatsans pcp the AT44-10 tactical in .177 cal, this as standard shoots as well as myhw100 kt

so i say Mr Mole keep on enjoying your hatsans and if your praise of them annoy others , then to others i say tough ****.!!!!

atb brian

Because of this topic, I yesterday purchased one of these Hatsan 900 air rifles in .22 cal, as I have about 20,000 pellets that I couldn't use after having 10 air rifles stolen last year.

I tried the rifle in the local fishing tackle shop, (they have recently started selling a range of air weapons and this Hatsan was among them), I shot a 3/4 group with some oxidised rubbish pellets over their 20 yard range, with a rifle out of the box, using open sights. The rifle cost me £85.00 even though I tried to get them lower, but the rifle is a great buy even at this price. Most dealers else where are charging £130.

On stripping in the garage I lubricated the main spring with my favorite Rocal gas tap grease, through the cocking port. No spring twang at all Put a heavier grade of oil on the trigger and anti bear trap mechanisms, both well made, but at this price not in the Record trigger mechanism quality, which has become the bench mark of springer rifles.

Quality of the metal work is super, no swarf or crudd any where. Wooden stock nicely made and quite light weight. My only criticism so far, is that on reassembly the front self taping screw in the trigger guard, has rounded out the wooden hole that it fits in. The timber here is only 1/8th of an inch deep and the course pitched screw destroys the area. Solution, cut a small plastic rawl plug to depth and super glue in place, problem delt with. It is the only screw that isn't machined, all the rest are just fine.

The only plastic on this gun is the moderator/cocking aid and the safety catch.

Trigger pull is very long, but not heavy and that may need a bit of fettling after running a tin of pellets through the rifle. There is a trigger adjustment that I have left alone for the running in period.

I am looking forward to shooting this rifle in the field with a scope fitted and running it across the chrono.

For a full powered adult rifle with moderator, I will be recommending this rifle to all newbies to the sport.

PS. I have run an air rifle club for the last 30 years.

Because of this topic, I yesterday purchased one of these Hatsan 900 air rifles in .22 cal, as I have about 20,000 pellets that I couldn't use after having 10 air rifles stolen last year.

I tried the rifle in the local fishing tackle shop, (they have recently started selling a range of air weapons and this Hatsan was among them), I shot a 3/4 group with some oxidised rubbish pellets over their 20 yard range, with a rifle out of the box, using open sights. The rifle cost me £85.00 even though I tried to get them lower, but the rifle is a great buy even at this price. Most dealers else where are charging £130.

On stripping in the garage I lubricated the main spring with my favorite Rocal gas tap grease, through the cocking port. No spring twang at all Put a heavier grade of oil on the trigger and anti bear trap mechanisms, both well made, but at this price not in the Record trigger mechanism quality, which has become the bench mark of springer rifles.

Quality of the metal work is super, no swarf or crudd any where. Wooden stock nicely made and quite light weight. My only criticism so far, is that on reassembly the front self taping screw in the trigger guard, has rounded out the wooden hole that it fits in. The timber here is only 1/8th of an inch deep and the course pitched screw destroys the area. Solution, cut a small plastic rawl plug to depth and super glue in place, problem delt with. It is the only screw that isn't machined, all the rest are just fine.

The only plastic on this gun is the moderator/cocking aid and the safety catch.

Trigger pull is very long, but not heavy and that may need a bit of fettling after running a tin of pellets through the rifle. There is a trigger adjustment that I have left alone for the running in period.

I am looking forward to shooting this rifle in the field with a scope fitted and running it across the chrono.

For a full powered adult rifle with moderator, I will be recommending this rifle to all newbies to the sport.

PS. I have run an air rifle club for the last 30 years.

I know what you mean about the trigger, if they had put the Quattro unit on it you would have had a gun that could take it to the HW 99! Build quality is great, I do think that their quality is ascending as HW is falling. There are places selling these rifles for under £70 (in West Malling and in Sheffield).

I think it is only a plastic cover on the suppressor/cocking aid, it feels very solid and actually does work. The barrel is only 320mm long.

What did you think of the recoil? Mine has hardly any!

What did you think of the recoil? Mine has hardly any!

Recoil is very low and the point ability of this rifle is also very good.

The more I have been using this rifle the more I like it.

Cocking the rifle is easy once you have overcome the lock up mechanism, which is very firm. That said you really do need a good lock up for repeatable accuracy in a break barrel rifle. This is as good as I have seen with the added advantage of a small cross bolt for the barrel to drop onto, on closing up.

I did say earlier that the only items on this rifle are the moderator/cocking aid and the safety. This was not quite correct as the trigger guard, sights and an out of sight shaped spacer (within the stock) are also plastic. The shaped spacer was an additional cause of the front trigger guard screw breaking down the small web of wood, the point of the self tapper has left a small imprint of its self trying to cut its own hole in it. I suppose I could have drilled and tapped it, but at that time I was more interested in getting the rifle shooting..

I will follow up later with some chrono results, but I am expecting some good results as the spring is supposed to be the same as the HW 77.

Edited by Flyboy1950

Recoil is very low and the point ability of this rifle is also very good.

The more I have been using this rifle the more I like it.

Cocking the rifle is easy once you have overcome the lock up mechanism, which is very firm. That said you really do need a good lock up for repeatable accuracy in a break barrel rifle. This is as good as I have seen with the added advantage of a small cross bolt for the barrel to drop onto, on closing up.

I did say earlier that the only items on this rifle are the moderator/cocking aid and the safety. This was not quite correct as the trigger guard, sights and an out of sight shaped spacer (within the stock) are also plastic. The shaped spacer was an additional cause of the front trigger guard screw breaking down the small web of wood, the point of the self tapper has left a small imprint of its self trying to cut its own hole in it. I suppose I could have drilled and tapped it, but at that time I was more interested in getting the rifle shooting..

I will follow up later with some chrono results, but I am expecting some good results as the spring is supposed to be the same as the HW 77.

So are the Truglo sights!

I am not so sure that is good as the best thing to do with a 77 spring us to bin it and fit a v Mach kit which has a much better spring arrangement

I am not so sure that is good as the best thing to do with a 77 spring us to bin it and fit a v Mach kit which has a much better spring arrangement

Ever thought it might be the gun and not the spring?

Edited to add, perhaps even the manufacturer? After all spring finishing was not one of the noted highlights of the HW range, look at the abominations that have come out of Weihrauch factory supplied rifles. Spring finishing a la angle grinder.

Just swapped the mounts on my 900, following a good search through the treasure trove that is the gun tool kit I found a set of single screw mounts (ie one screw clamps mount to action) and these are a lot lower than the mounts I had on. This 4x32 is not much cop though I am going to have to get a set of 30mm mounts and bung the Mamba on it. The scope will be worth more than the gun cost, true gun tart style...

spring finishing was not one of the noted highlights of the HW range, look at the abominations that have come out of Weihrauch factory supplied rifles. Spring finishing a la angle grinder.

I can attest to that being correct. One of my pals has an FAC rated HW80 and we recently sent off for a replacement spring from the importers, it came chopped to length via a disc cutter and was left with sharp pointed ends that would have ripped the internals to shreds in no time, took a great deal of fettling to make it safe to handle, let alone use.

I have just completed a mini chrono test on the 900X and I will let you interpret the results as you will. 2 warming shots were fired through a cold rifle and then the 3 strings of 5, randomly picked from their tins. The rifle has fired approx 50 shots prior to this test.

RWS Superdome. 14.3 grains 5.5mm dia Eley Wasp 14.4 grains 5.6mm dia Webley Special 13.2 grains 5.5mm dia

593 fps = 11.16 ft/lbs 558 9.97 624 11.41

593 11.16 558 9.97 615 11.11

594 11.23 530 9.01 618 11.22

598 11.35 567 10.3 626 11.50

597 11.32 553 9.77 630 11.65

Results are very encouraging so far.

Edited by Flyboy1950