Woodies in Nth Devon/Somerset

Flynne

Hi All, I`m currently considering a move to Nth Devon/Somerset & was wondering what the availability of pigeon shooting is in this area ? Am currently in the midlands where I`m able to get good shooting availability for crop protection due to a large arable area & mixed crops. But on a recent trip down to Exmoor & surrounding areas it struck me that the farming in Devon/Somerset is predominantly livestock with the land mostly down to grassland & maize with very limited arable (cereals, rape, beans etc).

Would be grateful if any members could give me some insight on how much of a problem are woodies in the Devon/Somerset area & the availability of shooting over crops.

Thanks in anticipation !

You are right in your assumption, I have noticed an increase in woodies, but not in flocks. they seem to be becoming a normal garden bird around here and living in the villages without fear of humans at all.

10years ago they were rare and only saw them out over fields.

To answer part two of your question. if your lucky you may get some, but with few arable farms about, there's a lot of shooters looking, and farmers tend to go with people they know.

Like tonker says, its not a big arable area, crops take up a relatively small area of the agricultural land, livestock and a fair amount of woodland are the main attraction.

You might find a few fields here and there but competition for shooting is pretty fierce for reasonable pigeon shooting. Saying that, I've gained a fair bit by being prepared to go out in winter/bad weather and tackle other pest problems while the other shooters stay in by the fire. Their loss, my gain.

Haveing lived in wiltshire, Dorset and Hampshire with a deerstalker I know that shooting is ****** hard to get. But as soon as they know you can deal with there deer problem... You can do what you like (as long as you keep on top of the deer and give them some niceley butchered venison)

We used to send a lot of ours off to be smoked, and a smoked haunch and some gusions occasionally work a treat!

As you say, there are very little cereals grown and rape is almost unknown. As it is a predominantly agricultural area employing many on the land, what pigeon shooting there is tends to be the preserve of those employed on the farms.

Remember that Exmoor itself, together with some of the adjoining land is stag hunting country and as such, many landowners tolerate and don't mind keeping a few deer for hunting. Stalking is more likely to be available in the non hunting country, but is much sought after.

As you probably know there are very many shoots in the area, these employ large numbers of beaters, pickers up and loaders, all who shoot. My advice would be to get involved with one of the shoots if you want a chance of a little shooting.