Air gun ID.

Bobby199

Hi there chaps, so am looking at helping a friend do up an air rifle. I have not seen it in person yet. And we know it won't be the best gun In the world... It has sentimental value and is more of a for fun, because we can.

So it is a Gamo .177 of some kind. I have got a scope for it, and stock refinishing is no problem.

But it seems a tad low on power apparently (could this be perished seals, do they just require some silicone grease? (Or where can I get some suitable new seals)

Also apparently it sounded rather loud? Just put a dab of grease in with the spring, or something more complex?

Many Thanks for any help you can give.

image_zpsjfzweyj1.jpg

image_zps1bojaumu.jpg

image_zps8oqoljjp.jpg

image_zpsv9oxpdso.jpg

Hi Bobby this is a Gamo Expo, if its anything like the Magnum inside, the piston washer will have gone rock hard and I have no doubt the breech seal has perished so there is lots of compressed air escaping between the cylinder and barrel, resulting in loss of power.

Parts are available take a look here:

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24422/Expo/

They're not difficult to take apart, just be careful of the mainspring and particularly if you're changing it for a new one. I don't know where you are in the UK but if I can help and you're close enough, let me know.

Im no Sherlock Holmes but as it says Expo on the side I'd guess its a Gamo Expo. :lol:

It could probably do with a good strip, clean and grease but if you check out the Chambers Gun Spares website they often have exploded views. I assume it will have a leather piston seal which can last for years with the right care so you may not need to buy any spares at all.

By the way, I think the scope is back to front.

The mainspring is under tension and although the old one may be a bit compressed and not quite so "springy" it will no doubt want to come out of there considerably faster than it went in. A new one will have even more tension, If you don't have spring compressor, just make sure you're not in the way if it does fly out, that was all ;)

Im no Sherlock Holmes but as it says Expo on the side I'd guess its a Gamo Expo. :lol:

It could probably do with a good strip, clean and grease but if you check out the Chambers Gun Spares website they often have exploded views. I assume it will have a leather piston seal which can last for years with the right care so you may not need to buy any spares at all.

By the way, I think the scope is back to front.

No think about it.