All Change at Astley Gun Club

webber

Was at the shoot at 9 am this morning for a site meeting.

The scrape had started.

Sorry, I'd taken some pictures to show progress, but the PW system won't let me add any pictures to this post.

webber

post-258-0-46168100-1436853206_thumb.jpg

Edited by webber

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at the shoot for 7:30 this morning.

The quarry had done as they promised and laid about half of the new car park. This gave us the space to get the hiab wagon back and move the containers and cabins into their new positions.

Now the work begins.post-258-0-27283400-1437069744_thumb.jpgpost-258-0-05105100-1437069813_thumb.jpgpost-258-0-03827100-1437069840_thumb.jpg

Edited by webber

Been down to the shoot this evening with Mark and Martin making preparations for Sundays shoot. New stands and maybe the new Laporte trap. The car park isn't finished at the moment but we will cope. The mower broke down so we plan to return on Thursday evening to complete our tasks.

The quarry are sorting the hardcore, but we want to top it off with some plannings to make it look better as the hardcore looks like a rubbish dump at the moment.

Looks like it will be a bit damp on the shooting ground today.

webber

3 double shifts on the trot have screwed up both my back and body clock.

Up a little earlier today to set the clay shoot up, was on site for07:10 but was locked out of the main container due to a key issue.

webber

Edited by webber

A dry start but a good soaking at the end.

A reasonable turn out despite the poor weather forecast.

The new Laporte looper performed well, but problems with control cables again caused issues. The new remote control and counter equipment can't arrive soon enough. The prototype counter housing for the stands performed well and will be reproduced for the other stands.

The new trap dollies worked well but will be modified for the other traps which will be converted in due course.

Still need to fit the new stand signs, back on the to do list.

webber

Mark and I have decided to make a special offer to Pigeon Watch members.

Bank Holiday Monday August 31st we are holding our first 50 bird shoot.

Pigeon Watch Members who present either their Pigeon Watch membership badge or BASC Membership Card whilst signing on will shoot at the members rate and receive a FREE Tea or Coffee.

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

webber

Im a sucker for a free brew :yes:

See you there!

How is it laid out for space? I went to Kelbrook midweek and it was a pain seeing everyone else's clays whilst trying to keep my eyes on mine. Not enough space there IMO

Just shoot next doors and then apologise !

You only need to watch your neighbour, as soon as he opens his gun, call for your bird.

Just shoot next doors and then apologise !

It did happen lol

You only need to watch your neighbour, as soon as he opens his gun, call for your bird.

I couldn't see the other guns, only their clays going across the treeline

On blue stands 5 and 6 at Kelbrook I could see 2 maybe 3 other guys clays. I'll stick to places like Rishton in future or maybe even try Conniston if I can learn to speak posh enough :lol:

A580 area is a bit far really for me for 50 birds but ok as an occasional shoot for a change I guess.

Stands are not placed too close so the issue should not happen.

The shooting ground is is accessed from the A580 East Lancs Road.

Follow the signs for Giant Car Boot Sale from the traffic lights at Astley / Higher Green junction.

In the event that it is raining it is likely that the car boot sale will be cancelled, but the shoot will carry on.

Please use the wet weather entrance by proceeding through the farm yard on your right, drive past the house with the ducks on the moat.

Please drive slowly.

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

We prefer fiber wads, but plastic wads are OK

webber

Edited by webber

Despite the overcast weather forecast it turned out to be glorious.

A very good turnout. The new radio control kit worked virtually flawlessly, a minor glitch soon sorted,as was a couple of trap issues. The new towable trap dollies combined with the RC kit assisted with a record setting up time. Four traps returned to workshops for fitting to dollies.

webber

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

Ahhhhhh Webber,

Can't believe I've missed this thread. I live in Leigh and don't get the opportunity to travel much to shoot clays. I got so sick to the back teeth with worsley I haven't shot clays in over two years.

I'll be coming to you soon as I'm in need of the practice for the season. Keep up the good work buddy.

We don't operate on the same scale as Worsley, but you will be made very welcome.

Please remember to bring your SGC.

visit www.astleygunclub.co.uk for shoot dates.

Also we are having our first 50 bird shoot on Bank Holiday Monday.

Thereafter we shall continue to offer a 50 bird shoot.

We are searching out additional stand locations on the ground with a view to offering a 100 bird shoot in the future.

If you've not shot at Astley for a while you will hardly recognise the place.

webber