All Change at Astley Gun Club

webber

Is there a shoot on this weekend

Yes there is. Sunday 13th.

M29 7EW

Bacon butties etc. available from 9:15

Shooting commences at 10am. Last entries at 1pm.

The shoot will be stopped at 10:55 in preparation for 2 minutes silence at 11:00

Shooting will recommence when ground staff indicate by 3 blows on their whistles.

We shall have another new Laporte MIDI trap on test and shall be holding the second 80 bird trial shoot in preparation for future shoots being 80 birds.

The weather forecast looks great.

Please bring your SGC.

webber

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

Edited by webber

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Attended Astley on Sunday! For a small club it has loads of potential for some great presentations. I'm no AA shot but it had a good selection of easy, medium and hard targets! Facilities were good!Food was great served with a smile, with plenty of seating! A couple of niggles with traps! But how many clubs run smoothly??? Radio system was in place so it wasn't long before someone came along and fixed things! You can see it's a small club that needs investment to progress! You can see what Webber is trying to do and achieve! Rome wasn't built in a day! A little patience from some of its members and Astley will be a cracking little shoot!!

Defo will attending again!! I need the practice!! 🙂🙂

I always check in on this thread as it most closely resembles the shoot I want mine to be. My Dad ran a small clay shoot on our family farm for over 30 years, it's your typical strawbailer that was mainly shot in 2 squads using 4 manual traps.

When I moved back home after 6 years working in Switzerland I took up clay shooting, mainly just to hang out with the old man on a Sunday morning. As more and more of the running came down to me I soon realised with small but gradual improvements we had the scope to be a better clay shoots. The shoot has never had the investment of one of us being able to throw a lump of money at it. All improvements are hard fought, buy saving the shoot kitty to get us what we need. All money is ploughed back into the club.

3 months ago we became an open 50 bird shoot, self buttoning, with auto traps. Hopefully as word gets out and more people come we will be able to improve more quickly. I will keep the shoot at 50 birds bar special occasions. This year for instance we were in the kent and sussex clubman league which needed us to put on a 70 bird shoot. Before I extend the shoot i'll improve the access route across the field and maybe look to get a small shed/cabin up there. Maybe bacon butties will entice a few more. One thing I won't become is an actual members club for now. The shoot operates on working farmland and as such is open to change at short notice. Becoming a club gives other people a say on what you do with your own land.

Keep up the good work, Webber. Just shows what a bit of grit and determination can achieve.

Thanks for the support chaps.

I don't do it all on my own, without the support of the ground staff and a couple of volunteers we could not have made the progress that we have.

We have invested heavily in the clubs facilities, a lot has been spent putting right what was wrong.

We are now seriously into the improvement and growth phase; we aim to be a 100 bird shoot, but having just moved to an 80 bird shoot, 100 will need to wait for a while, probably towards the end of 2017.

The next shoot is Sunday 11th. December which is supposed to be the Pigeon Watch North West Members Christmas Meet Up Shoot.

I'll give the post a bump!

webber

Tommo and I planted a few hundred saplings and laid some more woodchip today.
Several trap locations changed in readiness for next Sundays shoot.

We received our CPSA Affiliation Certificate during the week, its been laminated and will appear in the cabin soon.

webber

Cracking set up today Webber!! Really enjoyed myself! Just wish I'd have bought my gloves! Brrrrrrrrr See you in the New Year! As i'm sadly working on the Christmas shoot!! ☹

Its a shame you're working as you will miss what promises to be another cracking shoot, with some FREE shooting to be won.

There is also a special Offer currently running for New Memberships.

webber

Is it still 10am kick off on the 27th?? Just checked my roster and i'm not in work until 14.30! Decisions!! decisions!!

Yes 10 am start shooting.

Martin will be there in the dark to start setting up.

I expect the shoot to be busy, but if you are quick out of the blocks I see no reason why you could not be away for around noon or so.

webber

Sundays shoot was very well attended and went very well.

Not too sure how many of the new faces were PW members, but there was plenty of smiling faces, which makes all the effort worthwhile.

Next shoot is our Christmas Shoot which will be held on Tuesday 27th. December commencing at 10am

There will be some FREE shooting to be won.

webber

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Weather forecast for this Sundays shoot is OK, overcast and dry.

Ideal shooting weather.

19th February

80 bird Sporting Clay Pigeon Shoot.

8 stands + 2 Practice Stands
Non Members Welcome

Membership is open.
Cartridges & Bacon Butties available
BASC Accredited Coaching & Have a Go

Morleys Lane.

Astley

Near Leigh

Greater Manchester

M29 7EW

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

webber

Edited by webber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This Sundays shoot may be a tad damp due to a low probability for light rain. So it will probably be dry for the shoot which will commence at 10am. Last entries 1pm. Cartridge and other prices have had to be increased due to recent price rises on almost everything that we buy.

webber

As predicted Sundays shoot was rather damp at times, but that didn't deter a reasonable turnout. Many members have renewed and a number of new members joined.

Many thanks to Richard who stepped up to the mark to cook the ground staffs breakfasts when the caterer failed to turn up; and a massive thank you to Sue who answered the call for help and turned out to run the Cafe for the members.
Due to price increases in everything that we buy for the shoot, prices are currently being revised and will be posted on the clubs website soon.
3 committee members of CPSA Merseyside turned out to put R & A to the test. Reports indicate that they enjoyed the targets and will probably return when not shooting registered shoots.

Spring has sprung, and the several hundred trees that Colin and I have planted have started to grow, as they do so they will consume a lot of the water that lingers on the ground and enhance the venue.

webber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grandson Jacob, Tommo and I arrived at the shooting ground today to do some jobs. Sadly, we soon discovered that the tool shed had been burgled, resulting in the theft of Jacobs mini quad bike, the shoots chainsaw and petrol strimmer. Martin responded to a call for help and went to the Norgas workshops to make some steel repair brackets and then come to the shoot to fit them. Tommo and I treated the picnic tables with wood preserver, but lost too much time to achieve anything else. Jacob was so upset that he went home early, but enjoyed shooting his air rifle.

Grandson Jacob, Tommo and I arrived at the shooting ground today to do some jobs. Sadly, we soon discovered that the tool shed had been burgled, resulting in the theft of Jacobs mini quad bike, the shoots chainsaw and petrol strimmer. Martin responded to a call for help and went to the Norgas workshops to make some steel repair brackets and then come to the shoot to fit them. Tommo and I treated the picnic tables with wood preserver, but lost too much time to achieve anything else. Jacob was so upset that he went home early, but enjoyed shooting his air rifle.

Sorry to here that, there a horrible excuse for human beings

It looks like the weather for this Sundays shoot may be a bit damp. 50% chance of rain, but that won't put the R&ASC team off putting on a cracking 80 bird sporting clay shoot.

Cafe opens at 9am.

Shooting Commences at 10am; Last entries 1pm; Close at 2pm.

cartridges available; NO wad restrictions.

BASC Accredited Coaching

80 birds over 8 stands plus 2 practice stands.

M29 7EW

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

webber