All Change at Astley Gun Club

webber

A cold but brilliant day for an excellent well attended shoot. Lots of new faces; many promising to return to in the future.
Many thanks to all the Ground Staff who made the day happen despite a few technical glitches.
Tommo & I will be at the ground on Sunday making more improvements. Anyone who fancies working off a few excess Christmas Pounds is welcome to come and give us a lift.
Happy New Year to all who have supported the shoot over the last year.
Safe & Straight Shooting to all.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommo and I turned the last work party of 2017 into a productive one.
The Pool Shoot has been ceased due to lack of interest. The stand position and traps will be used as a Coaching & Practice stand. All basic coaching will now take place on the North side of the shoot avoiding issues with the Winter sun.
Stands have been renumbered, there are now 10 stands.
We shall be offering a 100 bird option for a few shoots prior to moving to a 100 bird shoot.
We are still working on three new stand locations, and shall be moving the location of some of the stands slightly to improve spacing and permit more varied targets, including driven overhead.
We still have lots to do, the list just keeps on growing.
May I on behalf of all of the R&ASC Team thank all those who have supported the shoot over the past year as we look forward to the challenges that 2018 will bring.
Happy New Year
Safe & Straight Shooting to All.

webber

On 12/07/2015 at 19:37, webber said:

Cracking shoot today. Brilliant weather, extremely well attended. Lots of positive feedback from satisfied shooters despite a technical glitch early on. The new radio control and counter system proved it's worth on the practice stand. It's the future.

webber

You're very welcome.  Hope to see you at the ground again soon.

It was an excellent day for shooting.  The shoot was well attended, with two new members taking advantage of the special membership offer.

We are in the process of moving some of the stand positions; making the stands wider to accommodate a wheel chair if required, and installing paving slabs in the stands.

Tommo and I are finding the flagging hard work, but we won't give in, we'll just take our time.  Hopefully a friendly flagger will come along and lend a hand.

• 3 weeks later...
Tommo and I have been busy making some new stands ready for Sundays work party. Gunner Gordon lent a hand refurbishing one of the new to us traps; it should be ready to be tested at the next shoot and will replace the current trap 12 which was the last of the single tack traps which are now for sale.
We'll be at the ground from 10am on Sunday. Members are welcome to lend a hand to move the club forward.

webber

Thanks to Tommo & Alan we had a productive work party on Sunday. I got the quad stuck, then the starter failed on the other quad. Thanks to Martin for turning out to fit the pull starter that he had previously forgot to fit.
I wonder if members will notice the improvements that we've made.

webber

• 2 weeks later...

Calling YOUNG SHOTS.
We shall be hosting a BASC Young Shots event at R&ASC this Sunday 18th. February.
The group will be shooting in the morning with a coach or mentor; and then after lunch, ( packed lunch required, but Cafe available); the group will be planting some trees and bushes. We expect to finish about 3pm..
If you are a Young Shot or have a young person who is interested in shooting, please come along, you are welcome to join in. There is no requirement to be a BASC member to participate in this activity.

http://www.astleygunclub.co.uk

Edited by webber

• 2 weeks later...

We arrived at the shoot this morning to discover that storm Emma had left us a legacy. 3 smashed stands. Tommo got straight to work and managed to repair one; temporary repair one, and sadly scrap one. Fortunately we had a spare stand which had been positioned ready for a new layout, so we were able to relocate it. Tommo and I will be busy again making more stands and gun racks.
Despite being two ground staff down, and a couple of technical glitches we were still ready to start shooting at 10am. Many thanks to the ground staff who got stuck in and put on a cracking shoot for the hardy souls who turned out to shoot it.
We delivered a lesson to a student from India who won it in the North West Air Ambulance raffle that the club supported. Martin delivered Have a Go shooting experiences to persons from the UK; Tiawan and Romania.

webber

• 2 weeks later...

Tommo has been busy in the workshop again, making more gun racks ready for the new stands which will be created in the near future.

Member should notice a few changes to the layout of the ground when they arrive for this Sundays shoot.

The weather will be dry, overcast and very cold.

It'll be two pairs of socks and thermal underwear for me.

webber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Grandson Jacob and I arrived at the shoot this morning to find the gate lock on the floor and the gate open. ON entering the car park we discovered that the orange container had been broken into.
A count of traps has shown that 16 traps have been stolen.
The Kawasaki quad has been wrecked and the Honda stolen and found burnt out at the location for transfer to removal vehicle.
Gutted doesn't start to describe the feeling.
A planned job for sure; Greater Manchester Police seem disinterested.
We will be shooting on Sunday, but the 100 bird shoot will have to go onto the back burner for quite a while. We've been left with less traps than we had when we took over 3 years ago.
I'll post again tomorrow when I've been able to work out precisely  what traps we are left with.
All of the traps are uniquely marked.

We just have sufficient traps remaining to put on a 50 bird shoot on Sunday.
Hopefully the regulars and Members will shoot the 50 birder twice as a 100 bird shoot. The club will need to generate funds to replace the traps insurers are bound to do their best to minimise the claim.
I've spent a lot of the day searching out receipts and invoices.
How do you find a receipt for a quad bike you bought for cash over 15 years ago. Hopefully Pauline will feel up to turning the house upside down.

Despite our setback, the shoot goes on; albeit a 50 birder for now.
We are investing in technology to deter and detect.
Yesterdays shoot was quite well attended with several new faces.
Many thanks to those who shot the 100 birds, the shoot requires the revenue to survive in the short term and thrive in the future.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are arranging an extra shoot to this years calendar.
Sunday 21st. October 75 Bird Charity Shoot 
In aid of Willowbrook Hospice & Macmillan Nurses.
High gun £100 cash donated by Joe Johnson of Speyside Sporting. 
Highest Lady Gun & Junior Gun (18) prizes donated by Norgas Gun & Cartridge Co.
Entry is open to all.
Donations either for shoot prizes or shoot day raffle appreciated.
Both charities have been of massive assistance to the Webster family in recent weeks.

Please diary this shoot and share on FB.