All Change at Astley Gun Club

webber

Shooters attending this Sundays shoot should be advised that the entrance directly off the A580 for the quarry is blocked due to civil engineering works.

Access to the shoot can be gained by turning at Astley traffic lights taking the sign for Higher Green. Drive through Astley Green; over the canal bridge and turn RIGHT at the roundabout.

Ignore the road closed and diversion signs. If the barriers are closed open them, and beware of possible barriers t the other end of the road just before the Left turn for the clay shoot.

You will drive through the farm. Please drive dead slow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant weather and a cracking shoot on Sunday.

The new Pool Shoot didn't do too well, but it's early days; so the pool will roll over to the next shoot.

More new members and even more pledging to return and join.

The winter work parties are in full swing, but due to set backs earlier in the Summer, and a slight change of plan to add yet another stand position we are now highly unlikely to meet our target of 100 bird shoot by Christmas.

The quest for the 100 bird shoot continues and will increase in pace as the target has now been reset for Easter.

The numerous Willow that we have planted over the last two years have started to have their effect. We shall be planting yet more Willow and Box bushes which Gunner Gordon and I have been busy propagating.

Despite the significant amount of rain over the last couple of months the once boggy footpaths are now accessible in shoes. The hard work is paying off.

We've bought and refurbished a top quality topper mower which will save us considerable time cutting grass in the future.

Next shoot is 29th. October.

webber

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

We've produced a short video of the shoot.

I've posted it on the shoots Facebook page, but am struggling to post it on PW.

The video can be found at the bottom of the clubs website front page. www.astleygunclub.co.uk

webber

Edited by webber

According to FB, the video clip has been viewed 3,200 times since I posted it on Sunday morning.

It's impressed me. I wonder if it will result in a higher than normal attendance at this Sundays shoot.

webber

Well I know of 3 who will be there, 2 of whom have not been before ! :yes:

Was there 4 in your squad?

Have you seen the pictures on the Rixton & Astley Shooting Club Facebook page?

webber

Eventually, yes ! One Lad got lost .....................then again, he does use a SAT. NAV. ! :lol:

Still putting 'after sun' on my eyeballs though !

Edited by Westley

• 2 weeks later...

Very good weather forecast for this Sundays shoot.

We shall be stopping the shooting at 11am. for two minutes silence.

Hopefully our efforts at the work party last Sunday will have their desired effects, although it's doubtful that members will notice any difference; although they will in the not too distant future.

webber

http://www.astleygunclub.co.uk

Edited by webber

A few technical glitches delayed the start of shooting slightly today, but this didn't marr an otherwise excellent,well attended shoot in cool but glorious weather. The two minutes silence at 11am was observed by all.
Several new faces and a number that have been away for some time.
The new mower performed well, but requires a minor repair.

On 12/11/2017 at 18:32, webber said:

A few technical glitches delayed the start of shooting slightly today, but this didn't marr an otherwise excellent,well attended shoot in cool but glorious weather. The two minutes silence at 11am was observed by all.
Several new faces and a number that have been away for some time.
The new mower performed well, but requires a minor repair.

Do not be so critical on yourself  !    :no:

Thanks to Grandson Jacob, Tommo & Alan we got plenty done despite a troublesome chainsaw.
Members will not notice anything of yesterdays progress, but rest assured the 100 bird shoot is getting ever closer.
Sadly it won't be ready for Christmas as we had planned, but it will be worth the wait.

webber

http://www.astleygunclub.co.uk

Despite the highly inaccurate weather forecast broadcast by the BBC the ground stayed clear of any snow until about 2:30, by which time we had packed up as usual. The brave souls that turned out enjoyed the shoot and the crisp winter weather. Another new member signed up.

Grandson Jacob, Tommo. Alan and I, braved the mist and rain yesterday.
We completed the new stand and re numbered all the stands on the ground ready for the Christmas Shoot on 27th. December. We also pegged out for the traps and improved the land drainage.
The shoot will be 80 birds shot over 10 stands; that's 4 pairs per stand.
There will be one practice stand and a 12 shot Pool Shoot.
The paths are holding up well, but we would recommend boots or wellingtons.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all Members and Patrons who have supported the shoot throughout the year. A special thanks to the Ground Staff, without their support the shoot would not happen.
Safe and Straight shooting to all.

webber

NO Work Party today.
Grandson Jacob is reluctantly attending his big sisters birthday party; Tommo is having one off. I'm at home twiggeling my thumbs, but not for long. There are future plans to plan.
Hope to see as many of you as possible at the Christmas shoot on Wednesday 27th. December.
The weather forecast is really good.