HSBC

pimpkiller

So hsbc are sort of selling up and moving to asia shedding loads of jobs around the world. Is this abit suspicious?

Nah, they're just going home.

Probably back to Honk Kong and China from whence they came.

Interesting article here: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/09/hsbc-cuts-25000-jobs-globally

Seems like they don't like our regulations. :/

Some of it to do with the Government forcing baks to separate their investment functions from their high street banks. The changes are unfortunate in some ways. They are worldwide. You won't find a Barclays, or Lloyds or NatWest in Hanoi, Vancouver, NY etc but you will find an HSBC. I travel a lot and have had minor problems in the past e g my debit card was once potentially compromised when in New York. I popped in to HSBC NY and they provided a phone, office and advice to resolve the matter. Had another minor problem in Vancouver which they helped with. So, changing from a worldwide bank will have its downside.

I don't blame them. They pay the Government £700mln pa (in addition to corporation tax of £1bn+).) for the Banking Levy. The levy is calculated on the size of their balance sheet. This is despite the fact that 90% of their balance sheet (assets and liabilities) relate to overseas activities. So if they move then they will only have to pay the levy on their UK entity (the UK retail Bank) which will be a lot lot less.

and let's remember HSBC Only became a UK entity in the 90's when it acquired Midland Bank. Hong Kong is its home and to where it will probably return although Singapore is a possibility.

I don't blame them. They pay the Government £700mln pa (in addition to corporation tax of £1bn+).) for the Banking Levy. The levy is calculated on the size of their balance sheet. This is despite the fact that 90% of their balance sheet (assets and liabilities) relate to overseas activities. So if they move then they will only have to pay the levy on their UK entity (the UK retail Bank) which will be a lot lot less.

and let's remember HSBC Only became a UK entity in the 90's when it acquired Midland Bank. Hong Kong is its home and to where it will probably return although Singapore is a possibility.

+1

Apart from ICBC, CCBC and ACB...

I think HSBC are top 10 globally. 7th place rings a bell. Top 3 are Chinese then the Americans JPM, Wells Fargo. So not the biggest but still big.

I don't believe it is an idle threat. Of course if they get concessions then they will stay but they are under a lot of pressure from shareholders to move. Singapore is a distinct possibility. They would love to get HSBC in order to get one over HK. Stan Chart will have Singapore as their first choice as well. Big there plus they have a big SG shareholder. And no presence in the UK to keep them here other than a small Treasury desk.

I think HSBC are top 10 globally. 7th place rings a bell. Top 3 are Chinese then the Americans JPM, Wells Fargo. So not the biggest but still big.

I don't believe it is an idle threat. Of course if they get concessions then they will stay but they are under a lot of pressure from shareholders to move. Singapore is a distinct possibility. They would love to get HSBC in order to get one over HK. Stan Chart will have Singapore as their first choice as well. Big there plus they have a big SG shareholder. And no presence in the UK to keep them here other than a small Treasury desk.

Time will tell, but George's Mansion House speech this evening is being trailed as a policy change to keep them here.

Perhaps the threat to move worked after all..?

went into my local Barclays the other day,what a shock what staff.just a machine minder and you do everything yourself.i suppose its only there for people without t,internet ,but thats 5 counter staff jobs gone for starters.never mind the backroom people you never saw behind them steel doors.i can see how it becomes thousands if you take out 5 per branch x however many high st closures.its progress but more automation =less jobs,apart from the top tier on their million pound bonuses of course

• 8 months later...