200TDI Fuel pump ''Tweak''

Joshcup11

Hi all. I have a 200TDI 110 defender which im not happy with its ''pick up'' speed off the boost. Now obviously i know its a defender and is not a race car at all but a few of my friends who have them have played around with the fuel pump to achieve abit more power off the boost.

Has anyone here done it and if so what were the advantages/disadvantages?

Cheers Josh

Fit an egt gauge before you start messing with the pump, 200tdi heads are hard to come by now, if it's just off boost then I think you will find the Screw on top of the diaphragm housing will give you this

Absolutely, definitely do this. it is far more use than anything LR fitted. ( gazzillions of them on fleabay )

They left the factory in a mild state of tune, and will respond well to tweeks to the Bosch pump. you do need to watch for smoke though. IMHO, these engines are quite tolerant of high EGT, but there is a red line - and you will NOT know you are anywhere near, without the gauge, it until its too late.

Done abit of a tweak on it and my god, just turning the ''smoke screw'' on the housing has worked wonders! Because i fancied a play about it turnt it around 5 times and it was like i was burning coal in the exhaust! :lol: Alltogether there was one and a half turns and its sorted it completely! Do have a little smoke but nothing like some of my friends with offroaders which modify the pump purposely to get smoke! However theres do 6MPG :lol:

Cheers Josh

Yeah i done the mod and it does work but don't turn it up too much as it's just like giving your grandma trainers ... you will only kill it quicker lol :-) fit a boost gauge too just to keep a eye on it ( plus it looks cooler ;-)

There's a few other tricks you can do with them.

Adjusting the wastegate on the turbo and I think adjusting the timing of the pump along with turning the diaphragm??!

Been over 13 years since I fettled mine, but you can make em fly.

Full frontal inter cooler is well worth the investment.

We done this mod on both my 300tdi and my brothers 200tdi and made a big difference to both. My brother still owns the 200tdi and still going strong. Main thing I found was it made the 300tdi a lot better at towing heavy trailers. Didnt notice much difference in fuel consumption either.