The Bitches Reproductive Cycle

A Bitch usually has her first season or heat between 6 and 12 months of age.

There are 4 phases in the cycle, which usually lasts 6 to 7 months, although the anestrus stage is very varied from dog to dog.

1 Pro -Estrus This is the first noticeable stage. There is usually some swelling of the vulva plus a clear discharge, which then becomes bloddy. You may miss the discharge, but you will normally see the blood. It may simply be "spotting". Most bitches are fastidiously clean and lick the discharge from the vulva very quickly, so you may notice the licking first.

Some bitches have a heavy discharge and no swelling; others may have no discharge but heavy swelling. Bitches of the large breeds often show almost no external signs. During this time a bitch is attractive to dogs. Most bitches are flirtatious, although usually all but the most experianced will refuse mating.

Pro-estrus lasts between 8 and 13 days

2 Estrus Normally the bleeding has stopped. The vulva is less swollen and distended. There may be a clear or straw colored discharge. Now the bitch may seek out dogs willingly accepting them. Ovulation is said to occur on the second day of estrus making it the best day to breed......Personally our bitches are bred on days 13 and 14 or days 14 and 15, depending on the bitch.......Two matings around this time increase the chances of a fertile conception.

Estrus lasts between 4 and 7 days

Side Note It is possible to breed to more than one male during this time and then DNA test the puppies when born to register to the correct father, essentially having a multiple litter on one breeding.

3 Metestrus Altough there are often no external signs, this stage still represents an active time in the bitches uterus as it prepares for a period of quiescence (anestrus)

False pregnancy.... the hormones in the body at this time can cause the distressing problem of false pregnacy. A non pregnant bitch may think that she is pregnant, make a nest and produce milk. If this occures consult your vet.

Mestrus lasts 6 to 10 weeks

Anestrus This is the quiet period and last different length of times in different bitches. There is no activity in the bitches reproductive tract at this time.

Anestrus usually lasts around 15 weeks

NTTF

Hello NTTF good post on this i normally do 12/15 day's to stand & mate twice with a rest between 1st mating.I have a good dog that let's me know when bitch's is on & willing to stand or as wee say willing to stand to the fingure as humour.I count the day's from start to 10/12 day's to try her & whatch to see if they tie & i think it's funny to whatch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all, we have just bought home a bitch Sprocker. She is 11 weeks old at the moment and i would love to mate her when she is older(obviously), I have been advised to skip the first season as she wiil be to young and getting caught could stunt her growth. However my wife would like to have her done so she wont get caught and we have been told this reduces the risk of cancer, any advice on the first point most welcome and as for the second, if we do decide to have her done what would be the best time age wise for this to happen.

• 5 years later...

The best time to breed a bitch is when she is around two as she her body still be developing until around that age and not the season after her first. Day 12-16 is around about standard but there all different I have a bitch that stands at 8-12 and another at 14-18, take her to you vet after around 8 days from the start of blood showing and they will swab and give you the best day to mate her, if your going to line her twice give a 24 hour window between matings to let the stud fill back up this should increase her chances of catching. Getting her spayed will decrease the chances of her getting pyometra http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra

Edited by Wearborne

• 5 years later...