Cost of getting into reloading

Hi guys, thinking of getting into reloading and have started researching costs of buying a decent setup and bits.

I would be reloading .223 to begin with. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I will definitely need vs 'nice to have' items please? Also, some idea of a realistic base line cost for a complete setup to get me going?

Cheers

The lee anniversary set up will get you well on your way if you are on a budget you can get other bits as you move on.

As above. Apart from a set of dies, this kit is a good starter. You can, and will want to buy more to add to your kit. Depending on how much ammunition you plan to use, it could take you a long time to re-coop the cost of the equipment. My kit was purchased over many years, buying better quality items etc.

Also, ammunition companies, such as PRVI Partizan, sell ammunition very cheap, and this could suit your rifle. I personally reload for pleasure, although the saving I am making, comes in handy.

The anniversary kit isn't bad, sell the scales and Quick Trim and get a few ££ back on it, buy a decent set of scales like RCBS 5-0-5 (about £50-60 used) which are much better and will last a lifetime (or several!) and the Lee cutter/case length gauge system for trimming cases, faster and less work than the Quick Trim. Add a set of Pacesetter dies and you're good to go.

Alternatively, if you're not going to be loading a lot of ammo the Lee Loader or Hand Press is a good way to start that many here have used and some are still using years later.

Edited by phaedra1106

" Alternatively, if you're not going to be loading a lot of ammo the Lee Loader or Hand Press is a good way to start that many here have used and some are still using years later."

As above,I am using Lee Loader + Lee cutter/case length gauge system for trimming cases + digital scales that I already had for shotgun reloading.Not a quick way of making rounds but quite enjoyable and producing very accurate ammo,more than enough for my needs:in truth with the results I am getting I am loath to change/upgrade.

Brilliant, thanks guys. Is it better to buy the components separately or is it best to go with a kit and just add to it as and when? I'd prefer to buy once and buy right if possible!

Go for the kit, the press and powder measure on their own would be the same price. Buying the kit you could get £20 back from selling the scales and £5-£8 for the quick trim.

The breech lock challenger kit looks better value as you get the same press, the case trimming tool, primer pocket cleaner, chamfer/de-burr tool and the auto-prime XR included as well. Again sell the scales and get something better. You'd also need a couple more breech lock bushings as it only comes with 1 and you need one for each die, also a case length gauge set for the 223. For dies I'd go for the Pacesetter ones, full length size, bullet seater and factory crimp.

Edited by phaedra1106

I started off reloading .223 with a £29 Lee Loader, as said they are not that quick but you can bash up 50 rounds in a resonable time while learning loads about reloading.

I've now upgraded to a Lee breech lock hand press which is an amazing bit of kit for a little money which loads as fast as a normal press. I use it to reload .44 Magnum and can easily load 200 rounds in a sitting.

I also have a Lee scale, hand primer, perfect powder measure, funnel, dies and various case conditioning parts. I find the Lee stuff great and it does what it says on the tin at a good value price.

many ways to skin a cat

questions you should answer are:

Why are you reloading? - cost, bullet choice, availability of factory ammo, what level of accuracy are you expecting?

What is your budget?

How much do you currently shoot? - whatever that is it WILL increase once you start reloading

Lee Loader - wooden mallet, set of Lee scoops, Lee idiot proof case trimmer/case holder, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner - should cost you about £40-50 all in

to this you could add - beam scales, digi scales, various case cleaners, a cordless drill to spin cases trimming cleaning and chamfering, case holder (plate), funnel

Press - all manner of brands out there, dies, all the above case conditioning tools either in a kit or separately - could cost you anywhere from £150 -500 all in depending how deep your pockets

LEARN HOW TO SET THE DIES UP! more cock up come from this than anything else IMO

To this you will need components:

brass, primers, powder, bullets

check you can get the ones you need locally and regularly before you commit

then get as many books as you can

scour the web for info on YOUR application

use all the info you get as a guide to YOUR rifle

whatever happened in someone else's rifle is irrelevant in yours...it may well be the same, chances are it won't be exactly the same

check for all the signs as you slowly work up a safe and accurate load for YOUR rifle

welcome to a whole new world of expenses!

Thanks for all of your replies.

Bewsher500 - I'm looking to reload for a few reasons. Mostly to tailor an accurate diet for my rifle as well as expanding on my hobby as I find reloading fascinating.

Is there a preference over rcbs/lee/hornady equipment?

when you say "accurate" what do you see as accurate? again...some people are perfectly happy shooting deer and foxes with 1-2 MOA loads rifles

Other are upset if they can't shoot in the 0.1-0.2 MOA range!

brands - ask 10 people get 10 preferences

I personally have an RCBS press with Hornady Lock'n'Load bushings and Lee dies!

don't be put off by people saying you need the best Redding Titanium Nitride bushing dies with micrometer seating!!

buy what you can get

Lee dies work, are easily found, you can buy spares at next to no cost

RSBC dies work dust as well!......

What it basically boils down to is how many rounds you are going to put down the barrel each month.

If you are only loading a small number then a Lee Loader will do it for you and will create very accurate ammo. Held 1000 yard record for years.

Want a press set up without the hassle of having a bench etc. Go for a Lee Handpress. I have one and run the cases through the dies while Mrs watches some drivel on TV.

If you have a man cave then any of the presses will do you proud. If you buy a Lee then getting the breach lock set up saves time.

My 10 pence worth is that the Lee stuff does what it says on the tin for a fair price, I have loaded 1000's of rounds and am happy with it. The RCBS, Hornady etc may do a couple of things slightly better eg scales but you'll pay £££ for the privilege.

when you say "accurate" what do you see as accurate? again...some people are perfectly happy shooting deer and foxes with 1-2 MOA loads rifles

Other are upset if they can't shoot in the 0.1-0.2 MOA range!

brands - ask 10 people get 10 preferences

I personally have an RCBS press with Hornady Lock'n'Load bushings and Lee dies!

don't be put off by people saying you need the best Redding Titanium Nitride bushing dies with micrometer seating!!

buy what you can get

Lee dies work, are easily found, you can buy spares at next to no cost

RSBC dies work dust as well!......

I'd be happy with 1/2 moa if I'm honest. My rifle shoots this well with Norma factory ammo but I have joined a range so it would be good to load my own. It will also give me something to do when I'm not actually shooting!

I am getting a bit annoyed with my hmr as well at the moment - it's not the rifles fault but the ammo really lets the calibre down. I was thinking it would give me the option to change to a 17 hornet or similar in the future. I would assume 'rolling my own' would not only be satisfying but also allow me greater control over my shooting, if that makes sense!

If nothing else, it'll give me something to do while the Mrs watches soaps!!!

Okay here goes, Lee is budget priced gear that loads good ammo but leaves a lot to be desired on the quality of fit and finnish, Lyman, Hornady, Forster and RCBS are mid range gear of higher quality then the lee and will last a lifetime, Redding is slightly better on quality then the mid range and it too will last a lifetime.

All load good ammo if you do your bit but if you dont wont to be buying more kit because its worn out or broken, dont buy Lee, it just does not have the durability of the others.

Ian.

marnold, i got rid of my HMR for the very same reason, poor and inconsistant ammo.

I now shoot a 17 Fireball, its fantastic, wish i had got one sooner, handloading with Berger bullets works out at £32 a hundred a little more then HMR ammo but i have full control over the quality and have a tailored round for my rifle,

It shoots 3/4" five shot groups all day and i have dropped rabbits and crows out to 320yds

Ian.

marnold, i got rid of my HMR for the very same reason, poor and inconsistant ammo.

I now shoot a 17 Fireball, its fantastic, wish i had got one sooner, handloading with Berger bullets works out at £32 a hundred a little more then HMR ammo but i have full control over the quality and have a tailored round for my rifle,

It shoots 3/4" five shot groups all day and i have dropped rabbits and crows out to 320yds

Ian.

Sounds good to me Ian, glad I'm not the only one annoyed with the hmr ammo! The fireball sounds interesting! What is barrel life/throat wear like?

Agree on the quality of the presses but...

have you ever seen or actually worn out a lee die?

Yes i have seen one, all my experience of Lee dies was when i was shooting pistols they were shocking with aluminium and plastic components, i was loading 200 rnds a week and broke several sets, the guy who wore one out was loading twice as much as me and shooting a lot of competition.

Apart from loading for my 45-70 BPCR many years ago i have never used Lee equipment for any of my rifle loading because of the quality issues back in the good old pistol shooting days.

Ian.