Expensive scrap metal

Michael170874

i had similar issues with my wolverine, so i got a couple of different tins of pellets and found huge differences, air arms pellets gave a group of several inches, i found jsb pellts gave me a half inch (ish) group at 35 yards. i have no doubt with the correct scope it would tighten up but im using an xsight so the clarity isnt up to optical scopes standards

Strange,I always thought they were all made by JSB anyway?

But Ive always found Jsbs to vary quite a bit batch to batch.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I think they are too high tech, a brilliant concept but as you mention the cost of repair is just too much. Compare the simple HW80 and its life span to the super dooper do it all air rifles mentioned, you say your Mk3 is now useless without spending 450 after 15 years. Look at a HW80 after 30 years or any other simple springer for that matter.

Exactly my point Dougy. As i said in my original post, way way to complicated. Its an airgun for heavens sake. and i maintain these electronic triggers are a ticking time bomb just waiting to go kuput!!!. £450 to repair a rifle that cost £1100 when new. But each to their own i suppose. What ever rocks your boat. When you think what one of these things costs new, for that money you could have two rimfires that would cater for the majority of shooters needs and then maybe even enough cash left over to add a decent spring airgun!!!

I think airgun manufacturing quality has taken a noise dive in recent years though and its not just Daystate to be fair :/

ATB,

Pat

Exactly my point Dougy. As i said in my original post, way way to complicated. Its an airgun for heavens sake. and i maintain these electronic triggers are a ticking time bomb just waiting to go kuput!!!. £450 to repair a rifle that cost £1100 when new. But each to their own i suppose. What ever rocks your boat. When you think what one of these things costs new, for that money you could have two rimfires that would cater for the majority of shooters needs and then maybe even enough cash left over to add a decent spring airgun!!!

I think airgun manufacturing quality has taken a noise dive in recent years though and its not just Daystate to be fair :/

ATB,

Pat

Ha ,£1100 was 15 years ago,the equal of that gun now is about £1800!

I have had two Daystate's , an old X2 which was good, but dropped pellets, and a new Huntsman, that was great at first , but then leaked just enough to be annoying.

Sometimes it would be fine for weeks, but them leave it a couple of days and for no apparent reason 'nearly empty. Never been tempted away from my s410 and s200

since I got them , and never had any problems either. :good:

At a £450 quote from daystate I would voice my opinion and then look into finding an electronics engineer that may possibly figure out were the fault lies. I doubt very much that daystate have invented electronic switches and solenoids exclusively.

Strange,I always thought they were all made by JSB anyway?

But Ive always found Jsbs to vary quite a bit batch to batch.

they may be but i tried four different brands and the jsb performed the best, the difference was quite shocking between the best and worst

Try Dave at SCR he may be able to help you far cheaper !

If anyone has any "scrap metal Daystates" they dont want please feel free to send them me ! :good:

I have spoken to Dave,although more helpful than daystate,he pretty much repeated what they said.

He did offer to buy the gun off me as it was for £200,but Im pretty sure the Ftr stock is worth that.

Did go down the electronics expert route,he told me the board has a crack in it and did a bit of soldering,sometimes it will fire,sometimes not,no good when you know if it is or not.

I once asked that Tony Balsa or Bolas chap why not develop a 22lr rifle?

When he finished laughing telling me it far to competitive a market I simply said oh, and airguns are not?

He just walked off!

A far too competitive market eh!!! Obviously Weirauch were willing to take the risk then eh coz they produce some of the best rimfires on the market ;) A bit narrow minded would you say UD?

Oh well i think a development of a rimfire would have made good sense TBH. Better than producing a .303 airgun i would have thought :lol:

ATB,

Pat

Why would they though, PCP air is ther back ground originally making dart guns for vets and zoos !

No istory in it and lets be honest, CZ comand such a large part of the market it wouldnt be viable.

ATB

Matt

Hmmmmmm, many companies fail because they put all their eggs in one basket so to speak though Matt. I would agree that CZ do certainly command a large part of the rimfire market . Up to a point though. Many other companies produce rimfires and have done for many years. Weirauch, Anschutz, Sako and Ruger to name but a few and lets face it they would'nt continue to do so if not making a profit. There is a market out there for new products i'm sure.

Anyway without drifting off topic i hope the OP gets his rifle sorted to his satisfaction and the airgun industry gets its act together in general because i feel, in fact i know, that for a while now several of, what can be classed as the market leaders in airgun production have let standards drop where quality control is concerned. These rifles have unfortunately found their way into peoples hands having parted with their hard earned cash leaving them frustrated and disappointed. Whats worse is when these products are returned for repair only to be sent back to their owners with the same problem.Simply not good enough when you consider how much airguns cost these days.

ATB,

Pat

This thread is a bit like buying a high end performance car and then complaining about the servicing costs and that it doesn't like running on cheap supermarket fuel

Servicing is different to repairing! Also, an airgun is in no way as complicated as even a Hyundai! Edited by Underdog

Let's face it most of us are gun tarts of some sort..... some going for the obscure or plain oddball some high end expensive stuff but almost all gun tarts.

:lol::lol::lol: . Thats true enough. Majority of us can't deny that one ;)

Atb,

Pat

sorry chaps for the delay,,, " son of Belas has been away fishing for a couple of days "

I,m not going to comment about michaels Air Ranger other than to say,, every rifle Michael seems to touch he breaks,, also I think he is also annoyed for the fact he payed £1200 for the rifle new when you can buy them new for £899

something doesn,t add up ???

my ranger has been faultless and is super accurate out to 55 yrds as my shooting buddies will vouch for as will this picture

076_zpspi4ulqwd.jpg

Jeeeez ,evo,-that's nowhere near 55 yards m8-not much more than an arms length :innocent:

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol: nice one Bruno,

what baffles me is I,ve just read this thread and everyone (well most ) are harping on about the electronic trigger ??? , the air ranger is NOT electronic it is totally mechanical ,,

have to say mine has been serviced and spruced up by xtx air and all I can say is " it performs as good as any if not better " I cannot fault it at all, its now my go to gun for my night shooting and has accounted for many a rabbit

yes there are faults with all brands of air rifle and Daystate are no exception, but they certainly need to improve because they will fall by the wayside if it continues ,

I,ll speak to daddy belas to see whats going on :lol::lol::lol::good:

Michael,,,,,,if your scrapping the air ranger I,ll give ya a couple of bob for it,,,,,,,£10 maybe :yes::yes: :yes:

Edited by evo