Mackerel started yet?

wildfowler.250

Not had any myself but have heard of some being caught down here in Cornwall out of Falmouth.

hello mate is it worth bringing the mackerel gear when we come in july ?? are there any spots nearby for a spot of feathering

colin

I'm based in scotland but interested to hear if anyone on here has had many mackerel yet? Must be a few going about now?

Cheers!

my mate in dorset has been getting a few recently

colin

I am down in Devon mid July for a week, I don't want to take any fishing gear along but as we are renting a house I fancy the catch-it-and-eat-it thing.

Does anyone more local have any recommendations for a mackerel fishing boat in the Sidmouth to Beer kind of area?

I am down in Devon mid July for a week, I don't want to take any fishing gear along but as we are renting a house I fancy the catch-it-and-eat-it thing.

Does anyone more local have any recommendations for a mackerel fishing boat in the Sidmouth to Beer kind of area?

You can rent a small open boat with motor from the beach at Beer - pay by the hour - they come equipped with hand-lines for mackerel. Potter straight out to about roughly in line with the headland on the right side of the beach and drop the lines. My brother in law & I did this two summers ago and bagged up in less than 15 mins. Stopped fishing after we had caught enough for tea, then headed back to shore.

Had some Cole fish and pollack 2 weeks ago in Anglesey but no mackerel as yet, fresh mackerel is the tastiest and easiest caught fish in the ocean IMO

Atb

Flynny

You should have gone to "Mackerel Rock" used to get loads of very early mackerel there if you can struggle through the rubbish

Had some Cole fish and pollack 2 weeks ago in Anglesey but no mackerel as yet, fresh mackerel is the tastiest and easiest caught fish in the ocean IMO

Atb

Flynny

yep! but its got to be fresh, more than a few hours old or from frozen it loses so much.

yep! but its got to be fresh, more than a few hours old or from frozen it loses so much.

I only live 10 minutes from my local pier, I sometimes pop down early in the morning to catch 1 for my breakfast. 20 minutes from sea to belly totally yummy. I've even had them raw with encona sweet chilli dip again totally yummy.

Took the kids out on the boat this morning. Caught a load of mackerel and some whiting, got home, lit the BBQ and had them for lunch. My kids are 3 and 4 and they love mackerel, catching and eating:-) proud daddy

Edited by Darno

• 4 weeks later...

You can rent a small open boat with motor from the beach at Beer - pay by the hour - they come equipped with hand-lines for mackerel. Potter straight out to about roughly in line with the headland on the right side of the beach and drop the lines. My brother in law & I did this two summers ago and bagged up in less than 15 mins. Stopped fishing after we had caught enough for tea, then headed back to shore.

Finally did this today, having spoken to a few locals who all said the fishing had been poor all summer so far, they seemed to think if you got out far enough you might get lucky.

With the above advice in mind we did just that, and had 4 on the second pull, followed by another 4 a few minutes later, including one decent one - job done :good: