shooting woodies

mahmood

A subsonic .22lr is about 60 or 70ft/lb. There is no point in taking a pigeon, aiming at its breast because you ruin the meat. If you shoot at the center of the chest but higher, just below the base of the neck, you an kill a pigeon with a 12ft/lb airgun.

Bolta, I was not 'Attacking' you, I was simply pointing out that 100ft/lb is overkill. A 30flt/lb airgun WILL kill a pigeon, If you dont shoot it at 100s of yds. Anyway, we should all aim for the neck really and do the job properly. :D

Bolta... Your missing the point. Dont get so upset it gives you the shakes and affects your aim. :D The original question was based on the use of a standard S200 @ 12 ftlbs I assume.... Not a bloody howitzer. I dont doubt that a 30ft lbs upwards will kill everytime and your gun sounds like something Clint Eastwood would tote about :lol: :yp:

I still stand by my statement. Neck up with standard S200 @ 12ftlbs at 15 - 20 yds. otherwise a lot of those birds will be walking away. This was the original question which some how has disintigrated into a testosterone fuelled debate about the size of ones gun...

Most important thing in shooting outside public safety is the Quarry and how its treated humanely........ Dont forget that mate..

Cheers FM.

Hi,

Good. I think we have it all cleared up now.

I just gave this comment of not shooting woodies in the middle of the chest with an airgun to get a clean kill, because there are new begginers here reading this stuff and they don´t have to try this with an airgun and see that it can´t be done. That is why I wrote that statement.

I personally always go for a clean kill either in the head, neck or heart/lung every time I pull that trigger. Mostly the heart shot.

BOLTA

I'm with you frank555. Someone even mentioned a rimfire? Definately not to be used for shooting into trees etc! I also I agree with earlier posts that at 15-20 yards a head shot is best. If you can't hit the head from that range then either give up or practise with targets until you are getting 1" groups at 30 yards!

Isn't the heart/Lungs of a woodie behind the breast meat??,so anywhere you aim on the chest is gonna mess the meat up especially if you put a .25 pellet at 56fpe through it,I remember shooting a woodie in the chest with a .22 HW80 R1 running at 22ftIbs at about 35yards and that ripped the meat up enough not to wanna eat it .Isn't the whole point of a clean kill to be humane and if your eating it ,to preserve as much as possible??.

yis

Hi,

I just think there is a word call "pestcontrol" and I would not say that is actually the same as go hunting for food, Andy. You are right, if you want the meat then go for head shot so you don´t leave any form for lead inside the woodies. That is toxi.

Here we go again, Mr. Bally Lot.

Try to read what I wrote before. That rimfire was for a shot straight in centre form straight front on woodies. A stupid place to shoot woddies, then you can easy take them down from other angles with a lot less energy. Again, there are some newbie pigeon shooters with airguns reading this forum and there is no need for them to experiment with this subject.

Well, sometimes the woodies also are on the ground, Mr.

Cheers - BOLTA

if you look at the wing where it curves on the body if you aim just a little to the left or right (Depending on how the woodie is facing ie if its left side on then aim the right side of the curve) of the curve to avoid the bone of the wing you will get a lung heart shot that will drop him like a brick

hi andy 17 yeah the heart & lungs are behind the breast but as i said earlier on in this topic (check the quote out) if you you follow that bit of advice you avoid damaging the breast meat. If your worried about lead poisoning use an alternative type of ammo such as tin pellets they maybey expensive but they get the job done but then you might get a slight bit of over penetration which can make a small mess.

Tp 15-20 yards side on shot the chances of over penetration is small with a round head pellet unless your using a high powered rifle i used crossman premiers with my .22 hw 80 never sufferd an over penetration once untill i tried some sn1s ( i think thats what their called) i was given the pellet killed him out right but dragged bits of heart/lung out the other side.

But if i thought that i was going to get over penetration at close range i used to use biseily( is that how you spell it) pest controls their hollow points i find these just as good as flat head pellets & a little cheaper.

Hi,

About over penetration. To me that means the pellet goes straight through and don´t damage much tissue and veins, maybe a pointed pellet. Well, a pellet could also go straight through and rip a lot of tissue and veins over and get instant clean kill. A hollowpointed pellet is extremely good at this (with the right power behind). What I am saying is, that the theory about "dumping of energy" where the pellet should stay inside the quarry to get a clean kill is pure noncense. It is more about how much tissue and veins you rip over in a quarry to get a clean kill.

Also I do not fansy the theory about hydraulic/hydrastatic shock effect either. Look at this webpage : www.civic.bev.net/shawnee/digress.html and read it carefully.

Gamebag, just for your information, the pellets is called Bisley Pest Control

Cheers - Bolta